Keto Lasagna Roll-Ups (Made With Zucchini!)
The keto diet has become very popular recently for its focus on “good” fats, while avoiding carbohydrates. But just because you’re on a low carb diet, doesn’t mean you have to miss out on your favorite pasta dishes. Cheeses are welcome in the keto world, and zesty tomato sauce is a great way to get in those extra veggies. All you need to do is nix the gluten-heavy pastas!
This cozy Keto Lasagna Roll-Ups recipe uses thinly sliced zucchini instead of traditional lasagna noodles to seriously reduce carbs. It’s fun to make and so satisfying.
Keto-Friendly Lasagna Roll-Ups
The best lasagnas always include layers of tender pasta, perfectly melted cheeses, and tangy tomato sauce. These simple elements combine to create savory, cheesy, utterly satisfying comfort food.
By swapping the usual wheat-based pasta with zucchini, you’re cutting the carbs, calories, and sugar content without sacrificing any of that classic lasagna flavor. Each bite is still balanced with the “pasta” texture and gooey cheesy goodness you know and love. Here you have a hearty vegetarian dish that will make even picky eaters happy!
What Ingredients You Need
Low carb zucchini lasagna is made with just a handful of wholesome, fresh ingredients. These are all readily available at nearly every grocery store throughout the entire year!
Here is everything needed to make this easy Keto Lasagna recipe:
- Zucchini – large zucchini are best to create wide “noodles”
- Marinara sauce – Look for sugar-free to be keto/low carb
- Cheeses – ricotta, cream cheese, mozzarella, and parmesan
- Eggs – to create the perfect rich, creamy binder for the cheeses
- Seasonings – dried Italian seasoning, garlic powder, crushed red pepper (optional), and salt
For more protein, feel free to use a hearty Meat Sauce.
How to Make Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna
This delicious Keto Lasagna dish takes under an hour to make, start to finish. It’s terrific for a warm, comforting Sunday dinner – and leftovers are great to enjoy the next day for an easy weekday lunch!
Here’s how to make fun-tastic Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna Rolls Ups:
First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and set out a 9X13 inch baking dish. Pour the marinara tomato sauce in the baking dish, and spread out evenly.
Use a mandolin slicer (or vegetable peeler) to slice the zucchini into long paper-thin strips.
Pro Tip: Generously sprinkle the zucchini strips with salt to help release the moisture. You definitely don’t want to skip this step… If you don’t salt before cooking, the zucchini will be watery!
While the zucchini strips rest with the salt, make the keto lasagna cheese mixture: In a large bowl, thoroughly combine the ricotta, cream cheese, mozzarella, parmesan, eggs, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper.
Then, working one piece at a time, make the lasagna:
- Lay a zucchini strip on a paper towel. Press the zucchini strip with the towel to remove excess moisture.
- Place about 2 teaspoons of cheese filling on the end of the strip and roll the zucchini strip around the cheese.
- Set the roll in the baking dish, with the cheese facing up.
Repeat until the pan is packed with zucchini lasagna roll ups, like in the photo below. Gently push the rolls up against one another to help keep them sealed shut.
Bake until the cheese is golden around the edges. Serve warm with the best keto-friendly Cloud Bread and a fresh green salad.
I hope you try this unique, cheesy dish soon as part of your healthy meals menu!
Get the Complete (Printable) Keto Lasagna Roll Ups Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Is Zucchini Lasagna a Good Make-Ahead Meal?
It is! You can prepare this dish several hours and even up to a full day ahead of serving, keep covered with plastic wrap, and then bake in the evening. Again, you definitely do not want to skip salting the zucchini noodles beforehand.
Leftovers of Low Carb Keto Lasagna will keep well in an airtight container stored in the fridge for up to 5 days if you use a marinara sauce; or up to 3 days if you use a meat sauce.
You can even freeze baked Zucchini Lasagna in a freezer-safe storage bag for up to 3 months!
Looking for More Keto-Friendly Recipes?
- Keto Chicken Lasagna Cups
- Creamy Lemon Chicken Soup with Spinach
- Irish Roasted Cabbage Low Carb Pizza
- Keto Thai Larb Rolls
- Sheet Pan Keto Chicken Nachos
Keto Lasagna Roll Ups (Made With Zucchini!)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Set out a 9X13 inch baking dish. Pour the marinara in the baking dish and spread out evenly.
- Use a mandolin slicer (or vegetable peeler) to slice the zucchini into long paper-thin strips. Generously sprinkle the zucchini strips with salt to help release the moisture.
- In a large bowl, mix the ricotta, cream cheese, mozzarella, parmesan, eggs, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper. Mix until well combined.
- One at a time, lay a zucchini strip on a paper towel. Press the zucchini strip with the towel to remove excess moisture. Place about 2 teaspoons of cheese filling on the end of the strip and roll the zucchini strip around the cheese. Then set the roll in the baking dish, with the cheese facing up.
- Repeat until the pan is packed with zucchini lasagna roll ups.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until the cheese is golden around the edges. Serve warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!