Creamy Lemon Chicken Soup with Spinach
Creamy Chicken Soup Recipe
There’s nothing I love more in the dead of winter, than a big steaming pot of chicken soup.
Good chicken soup is always piping hot, chunky, and herbaceous, with the quintessential flavor of healing and comfort. What’s not to love?
This year we’re focusing on going back and “filling in the gaps” here on A Spicy Perspective, where down-home favorite recipes are missing.
And after 10 years of recipe sharing, we just recently posted our Best Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe.
Although most of the recipes we’ve added are cozy and carb-heavy, we’re also sharing comforting low-carb classics as well!
If you’re keeping the carbs on the down low right now, today’s Creamy Lemon Chicken Soup with Spinach, Lemon, and Parmesan will be a huge hit on your dinner table!
Lemon Chicken Soup For the Win
I’m a big fan of Greek-Style Lemon Chicken Soup with orzo or couscous, and a heavy spoonful of crumbled feta cheese.
Today’s Creamy Chicken Soup with Lemon is a low-carb play on the Mediterranean flavor profile. However, we’re holding the pasta, and adding in tons of veggies and cheese instead.
Rather than using feta cheese in this Creamy Low Carb Chicken Soup, we’ve added a generous portion of shredded parmesan cheese, so it melts and blends into the creamy soup base.
With a bright rich lemon-parmesan flavor and quick cook-time, this easy chicken soup recipe is a show-stopping family favorite you can whip up any night of the week!
Keto Chicken Soup with Lemon
Low Carbers… I’ve got you covered.
This bold and tantalizing creamy chicken soup recipe is packed with protein and veggies, while keeping the carbs at a minimum.
You have the option to use glucomannan powder for thickening, which contains only 1 gram carbohydrate per servings. (Cornstarch adds about 4 grams per serving.)
Glucomannan powder is a powerful thickener, so you only need to use 2 teaspoons to thicken the whole pot of soup!
Furthermore, if you follow a strict ketogenic diet, you can cut the carrots in half to take the carbs down even further.
If your dietary restrictions aren’t a major concern, you will still love the zesty flavor and luxurious texture of this Low Carb Chicken Spinach Soup with Lemon.
We are sacrificing nothing here!
(Low Carb) Creamy Lemon Chicken Soup Ingredients Checklist
- Butter – To sauté the veggies.
- Garlic Cloves
- Chicken – We used boneless skinless chicken breasts, but you could use chicken thighs as well. Or even shredded rotisserie chicken.
- Chicken Broth – You can use low-sodium chicken broth
- Lemon Zest– We just used fresh lemon zest for a delicate lemon flavor. However, you can crank it up by adding lemon juice at the end!
- Italian Seasoning– Or chopped fresh herbs
- Heavy Cream
- Cornstarch – Or Low Carb Glucomannan Powder
- Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Black Pepper
How To Make Creamy Homemade Chicken Soup Recipe
- Sauté the Veggies. Soften the vegetables in butter to release their natural flavors in the dutch oven.
- Add the Protein, Herbs, and Broth. Add in the whole raw chicken, lemon zest, herbs, and broth. You can use chicken breasts or thighs.
- Simmer. Simmer to cook the chicken and create a rich soup base.
- Shred. Take the tender chicken out of the pot and shred it into small bite-size pieces.
- Thicken. Stir in the heavy cream, cornstarch (or glucomannan), and parmesan cheese. Let it simmer to thicken.
- Add Greens. Stir the shredded chicken, spinach, and parsley into the pot!
- Serve. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm, with extra parmesan if desired!
Get the Full (Printable) Creamy Lemon Chicken Soup Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Do Leftovers Last?
You can store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 5 days.
Can I Freeze This Creamy Chicken Soup?
Yes and no. Yes, you can freeze it. However, sometimes when people reheat frozen soups containing cheese, the cheese separates and curdles.
To avoid this, reheat the soup at a low temperature, and do not let it boil.
Can I Use Arrowroot Powder For Low Carb Chicken Soup?
Arrowroot powder is a fabulous grain-free thickener, but it doesn’t actually reduce the carbs more than cornstarch.
Instead, try using glucomannan powder to thicken the soup to keep the carb very low.
Is This A Gluten-Free Chicken Soup Recipe?
Yes! Both thickening options are gluten-free, therefore the entire recipe is as well.
Can I Swap Out the Vegetables In This Lemon Chicken Soup Recipe?
Of course! Add or omit anything you like. Just remember, if it’s a hard dense vegetable, it should be sauteed with the onions at the beginning.
No Lemon Juice In This Soup?
This recipe only calls for fresh lemon zest. If you want a stronger lemon flavor, add 1-2 tablespoons of juice at the end.
Want to Make This Soup Keto?
To make this recipe true keto, use 2 teaspoons glucomannan powder in place of the cornstarch, and use only 1/2 cup chopped carrots.
More Dazzling Chicken Comfort Food Soups
- Low Carb Green Curry Chicken Noodle Soup
- Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Chicken Detox Soup
- Southwest Chicken Detox Soup
- Low Carb Chicken Mushroom Soup
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Crock Pot Chicken Potato Soup
- Healthy Chicken Cacciatore Soup
- Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup
- Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup
- Best Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- Homemade Chicken Stock by InspiredTaste
More Fabulous Low Carb Favorites
- Tom Yum Soup (Thai)
- Perfect Baked Chicken Thighs
- Caribbean Grilled Lamb Chops
- Muffuletta Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Buffalo Ranch Deviled Eggs
- Mexican Caprese Salad
- Low Carb Pepperoni Pizza Bites
- Bacon-Wrapped Avocado
- Power Protein Bowl with Beans
- Market Chicken Skillet with Corn
Make sure to check the printable recipe card below for the nutrition information including calories, carbohydrates, protein, fiber, and calcium percentages.
Creamy Lemon Chicken Soup with Spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter, or olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 5-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup cornstarch (2 tsp glucommanan powder for keto)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup baby spinach, packed
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- Place a large 6-8 quart saucepot over medium heat. Add the butter, onions, and celery. Sauté for 3 minutes. Then add in the carrots and garlic and sauté another 2 minutes to soften.
- Place whole raw chicken breasts in the pot. Add in the lemon zest, Italian seasoning, chicken broth, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower the heat if needed and simmer for about 15 minutes (covered) to cook the chicken.
- Meanwhile, whisk the heavy cream and cornstarch (or glucomannan) together until very smooth.
- Once the chicken has cooked through, pull the chicken breasts out of the pot with tongs and set on a cutting board.
- Stir the heavy cream mixture and parmesan cheese into the soup base to thicken. Stir another minute, until the parmesan melts and blends smoothly into the soup base.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken breasts. Then stir the shredded chicken, spinach, and parsley in the soup. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm, with extra parmesan if desired!