The Best Homemade Salsa Recipe
How To Make Salsa: We’re sharing our secrets for making The Best Homemade Salsa Recipe we’ve ever tried. Healthy, fresh, and easy to adjust!
Fresh Tomatoes and Salsa
There is a tomato overload in my backyard right now.
Every year I plant way more tomato seeds than any one family should, in hopes that a few plants will survive and thrive. I am not known for being the best gardener, yet I do get lucky every now and again.
This year, my tomato plants took off, providing us with a seemingly endless supply of seven varieties of tomatoes. I have been eating them in salads and sauces for the last month.
Yet I always say, when life gives you tomatoes… Make salsa!
hundreds thousands of tomato-based salsa recipes online. Why should you make this one?
Well, we think this is The Best Homemade Salsa Recipe around because it’s healthy, quick to make, offers a fine chunky texture, and is brimming with absurd amounts of flavor.
Want to know the secret?
The Secret To The Best Salsa Recipe
Sometimes salsa made with just fresh ingredients can come off with a shallow flavor… Lacking depth. Whereas, salsa made with canned ingredients alone can taste store-bought.
It is my belief that you need both fresh and canned ingredients to make the best homemade salsa recipe. I like to start with fresh sweet garden tomatoes, red onion, garlic, jalapeños, cilantro, and lime. Then chop them into a fine grade in the food processor.
How To Make Salsa
Then I add canned crushed san marzano tomatoes and green chiles, to layer extra depth into the salsa. The canned tomatoes provide a rustic essence and sweetness that accentuates the fresh produce, while the canned green chiles deliver a smoky quality that fresh peppers are lacking.
That way, you taste bright tangy notes from garden-fresh tomatoes, sharp notes from the onion and garlic, herbs and spice, and complexity from the “secret ingredient” canned items, all in one!
Is This Homemade Salsa Spicy?
Yes but, if you are sensitive to spicy heat, you can adjust The Best Homemade Salsa Recipe by adding less jalapeños… Or take it up a notch by throwing in habanero or serrano chiles!
Spoon the best homemade salsa recipe over eggs, on your favorite Mexican dishes, or just scoop it up with chips.
You are going to love this!!
See the Recipe Card Below to Learn How to Make The Best Salsa Recipe. Enjoy!
Other Salsa Recipes You Might Like:
- Grilled Chipotle Peach Salsa
- Tomatillo Avocado Salsa Verde Recipe (Video)
- Candied Bacon Corn Salsa
- Strawberry Habanero Salsa
The Best Homemade Salsa Recipe
- 4 ripe tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 1 red onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 jalapenos, stemmed and seeded (you can substitute 1-2 habanero or serrano peppers.)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2-3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 15 ounces crushed San Marzano tomatoes (1 can)
- 4.5 ounces diced green chiles, mild, medium, or hot (1 can)
- Place the fresh tomatoes, onion, garlic, peppers, cilantro, lime juice, cumin, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Pulse until the contents are fine and well blended.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes and green chiles. Puree until mostly smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!