The Best Homemade Salsa Recipe
Fresh Tomatoes and Salsa
There is a tomato overload in my backyard right now.
Every year I plant way more tomato seeds than any one family should, in hopes that a few plants will survive and thrive. I am not known for being the best gardener, yet I do get lucky every now and again.
This year, my tomato plants took off, providing us with a seemingly endless supply of seven varieties of tomatoes. I have been eating them in salads and sauces for the last month.
Yet I always say, when life gives you tomatoes… Make salsa!
hundreds thousands of tomato-based salsa recipes online. Why should you make this one?
Well, we think this is The Best Homemade Salsa Recipe around because it is healthy, quick to make, offers a fine chunky texture, and is brimming with absurd amounts of flavor.
Want to know the secret to perfectly delicious salsa?
See the Complete Best Homemade Salsa Recipe Card Below!
The Secret To The Best Salsa Recipe
Sometimes salsa made with just fresh ingredients can come off with a shallow flavor… Lacking depth. Whereas, salsa made with canned ingredients alone can taste store-bought.
It is my belief that you need both fresh and canned ingredients to make the best homemade salsa recipe.
Here is everything you need to make the most delicious salsa easily at home:
- Ripe tomatoes – cored and quartered, no peeling necessary!
- Red onion – peeled and quartered
- Garlic cloves – peeled
- Jalapeños – stemmed and seeded
- Fresh lime juice
- Ground cumin
- Sugar – optional. Sometimes the tomatoes need a little boost to balance the acidity.
- Canned crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- Diced green chiles – your choice of mild, medium, or hot
How To Make Salsa
- Prepare the veggies and add to your food processor along with lime juice and seasonings. Chop to a fine grade.
- Next, add the canned crushed San Marzano tomatoes and green chiles and puree again until almost smooth. The canned tomatoes provide a rustic essence and sweetness that accentuates the fresh produce, while the canned green chiles deliver a smoky quality that fresh peppers are lacking.
- Add more cumin and salt to taste, and refrigerate until chilled and ready to enjoy.
You will taste bright tangy notes from garden-fresh tomatoes, sharp notes from the onion and garlic, herbs and spice, and complexity from the “secret ingredient” canned items, all in one!
Spoon this flavorful salsa over eggs, on your favorite Mexican dishes, or just scoop it up with chips or fresh veggies.
You are going to love this recipe for game day, potlucks, parties, or just keeping in the fridge for anytime when you need a zesty snack!
Is This Salsa Recipe Spicy?
Yes this recipe has got zing but, if you are sensitive to spicy heat, you can adjust The Best Homemade Salsa Recipe by adding less jalapeños and being sure to purchase the mild canned green chiles.
Or if you prefer to take the heat up a notch, try throwing in habanero or serrano chiles!
How Long Will Homemade Salsa Last?
This salsa will keep well for 10-12 days if kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Be sure to not allow it to sit for too long (over an hour or so) at room temperature between keeping chilled in the fridge.
You can also freeze this homemade salsa for up to 4 months by putting in a freezer-safe container and then wrapping with foil.
Looking for More Delicious Salsa Recipes?
- Grilled Chipotle Peach Salsa
- Tomatillo Avocado Salsa Verde Recipe (Video)
- Candied Bacon Corn Salsa
- Strawberry Habanero Salsa
- Homemade Salsa Al Pastor
The Best Homemade Salsa Recipe
- 4 ripe tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 1 red onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 jalapenos, stemmed and seeded (you can substitute 1-2 habanero or serrano peppers.)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2-3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2-3 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 15 ounces crushed San Marzano tomatoes (1 can)
- 4.5 ounces diced green chiles, mild, medium, or hot (1 can)
- Place the fresh tomatoes, onion, garlic, peppers, cilantro, lime juice, 2 teaspoons cumin, 2 teaspoons sugar (if using), and salt in a food processor. Pulse until the contents are fine and well blended.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes and green chiles. Puree until mostly smooth. Taste, then add more cumin and sugar if desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!