Slow Cooker Taco Tater Tots
This Easy Slow Cooker Taco Tater Tots Recipe is perfect for game day celebrations and family get-togethers! Whether you make them in the slow cooker or the oven, this dish is packed with flavor and loaded with all of your favorite toppings!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Slow Cooker Taco Tater Tots are a fabulous party snack that can feed a crowd! Load the toppings right in the crockpot for easy serving.
Or when it’s time to feast, lay out a topping bar and let your friends pile on their favorite additions. Whether splurging or keeping the toppings on the lighter side, everyone will be happy!
Slow Cooker Taco Tater Tots are made in the crockpot, so you can keep them warm through the course of your party. Or if you are in a hurry, make them fast in the oven!
Either way, they are totally easy to make in just a few steps. Simply mix a bag of frozen tater tots with one packet of Old El Paso Taco Seasoning, or your own favorite taco seasoning! Then make it in the slow cooker or oven, and prepare all of the toppings of your choice.
In the end, you’ll have golden zesty taco-fied Mexican-inspired tots that taste amazing on their own and even better with a few toppings!
What Ingredients You Will Need
For the Tater Tots:
- 1 Packet Old El Paso Taco Seasoning Mix – or your favorite taco seasoning mix!
- 32 ounces frozen tater tots (1 bag)
For the Toppings:
- Low-fat shredded cheddar cheese (or other shredded cheese flavors)
- Black beans
- Low-fat sour cream
- Chopped chicken
- Taco meat – ground beef mixture or ground turkey
- Red onion
- Diced tomatoes
- Shredded Lettuce
How to Make Taco Tater Tots
In the Oven
- Preheat & Prep: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place the tater tots in a large bowl. Sprinkle with Old El Paso Taco Seasoning and toss to coat.
- Bake & Top: Spread the tater tots out, in a single layer, on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Then move the tots to a platter and add toppings. Serve warm.
In the Slow Cooker
- Prep: Place the tater tots in the crock of a large slow cooker. Sprinkle with Old El Paso Taco Seasoning and toss to coat.
- Cook: Cover the slow cooker and turn on low for 4-5 hours, or high for 2-3 hours. Stir gently once an hour so that all tots spend some time on the bottom of the crock. This way, they will all get crispy. Once hot and slightly crispy, turn the slow cooker on warm.
- Top: Add toppings directly to the slow cooker and serve out of the crock.
Get the full (printable) recipe below along with nutrition information!
Recipe Tips & Variations
- Make it a tater tot casserole! After making your tater tots in the oven or slow cooker, transfer to a baking dish and top with cheese, beans, corn, and maybe some pre-cooked meat, and bake again for a super melty tater tot taco casserole! Then top with cold toppings before serving.
- Appetizer or meal? This taco tater tot recipe can really be either. Keep the toppings light by using veggies like tomatoes, green chiles, olives, and bell pepper! Or make this a hearty meal by adding black beans or pinto beans along with chicken or ground beef!
- Use your own favorite taco toppings! Any of my suggestions for toppings are going to taste amazing, but trust your gut (and your taste buds) and choose your own favorite taco toppings.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are my tater tots not crispy?
If you find that your tater tots aren’t crispy, cook them a little bit longer! When cooking them in a slow cooker, make sure to stir every hour so that all of the tater tots touch the edges to get crispy. If making them in the oven, make sure the baking sheet isn’t too crowded!
Should I thaw tater tots before cooking?
Nope! There is no need to thaw frozen tater tots before cooking them. In fact, it is best to cook the tater tots directly from frozen so that they keep their shape!
How long do leftovers last?
After you make up your casserole with all your favorite toppings, it does not last well in the fridge. You can store leftover tots in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Is this recipe gluten free?
Most brands of frozen tater tots are gluten free, but check if needed.
Looking for More Lightened-Up Party Snacks?
- The Best Homemade Salsa Recipe
- Zesty Baked Onion Rings
- Miso Hummus
- Fresh Socca Recipe
- Shrimp Cocktail Wonton Cups
- Thai Coconut Curry Hummus
- Creamy Avocado Salsa Verde
- Paleo Coconut Crusted Shrimp
Check the printable recipe card below for the prep time and nutrition information including calories, carbohydrates, protein, cholesterol, sodium, potassium, fiber, vitamin c, and calcium percentages. Make sure to share this recipe on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest.
Taco Tater Tots
For the Taco Tots:
- 32 ounces frozen tater tots (1 bag)
- 1 Old El Paso Taco Seasoning Packet
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place the tater tots in a large bowl. Sprinkle with Old El Paso Taco Seasoning and toss to coat. Spread the tater tots out, in a single layer, on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Then move the tots to a platter and add toppings. Serve warm.
Slow Cooker Method:
- Place the tater tots in the crock of a large slow cooker. Sprinkle with Old El Paso Taco Seasoning and toss to coat. Cover the slow cooker and turn on low for 4-5 hours, or high for 2-3 hours. Stir gently once an hour so that all tots spend some time on the bottom of the crock. Once hot and slightly crispy, turn the slow cooker on warm. Add toppings directly to the slow cooker and serve out of the crock.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Old El Paso. All opinions are our own.