Easy Slow Cooker Taco Tater Tots. A fun party recipe you can lighten-up!!
I know I promised you all healthy recipes all month long… Don’t be deceived by the tots. I’m not breaking my promise!
This simple party snack is gluten free, and can be topped with dairy free and/or low fat toppings. It feels like a splurge, but doesn’t have to be.
Slow Cooker Taco Tater Tots are made in the crockpot, so you can keep them warm through the course of your party. Or if you are in a hurry, make them fast in the oven!
Either way, start by mixing one bag of frozen tater tots with one packet of Old El Paso Taco Seasoning. Mix well, so the tots are completely covered in zesty taco seasoning. Using Old El Paso Taco Seasoning takes plain tater tots to a whole new level of cozy goodness.
Then either spread them out on a baking sheet to bake, or place them in the crockpot. Personally I like the slow cooker method, because it keeps the oven open for other party snacks being made.
The tots around the edges get crispy, so make sure to stir the tots occasionally. That way all the tots get some toasting around the edges.
In the end, you’ll have golden zesty taco-fied tots that taste amazing on their own.
However, if you want to take your Taco Tater Tots up a notch, top them with your favorite taco toppings!
Here, mine are covered with low fat cheese, black beans, pico de gillo, scallions, cilantro, and low fat sour cream. Add cooked taco meat or shredded chicken and you could make a meal of Taco Tater Tots.
Slow Cooker Taco Tater Tots are a fabulous party snack for Super Bowl and winter parties. Load the toppings right in the crockpot for easy serving.
Or when it’s time to feast, lay out a topping bar and let your friends pile on their favorite additions.
Whether splurging, or keeping the toppings on the lighter side, everyone will be happy!
Looking for More Lightened-Up Party Snacks?
Taco Tater Tots
Yield: 8-12 servings
Prep Time:10 minutes
Easy Slow CookerTaco Tater Tots Recipe (Make them in the oven of in the slow cooker.) Low fat and gluten free, this is a healthy party recipe for game day!
For the Taco Tots:
- 32 ounce bag frozen tater tots
- 1 Old El Paso Taco Seasoning Packet
- Shredded cheese (low fat)
- Black beans
- Sour cream (low fat)
- Chopped chicken
- Taco meat
- Red onion
- Oven Method: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place the tater tots in a large bowl. Sprinkle with Old El Paso Taco Seasoning and toss to coat. Spread the tater tots out, in a single layer, on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Then move the tots to a platter and add toppings. Serve warm.
- Slow Cooker Method: Place the tater tots in the crock of a large slow cooker. Sprinkle with Old El Paso Taco Seasoning and toss to coat. Cover the slow cooker and turn on low for 4-5 hours, or high for 2-3 hours. Stir gently once an hour so that all tots spend some time on the bottom of the crock. Once hot and slightly crispy, turn the slow cooker on warm. Add toppings directly to the slow cooker and serve out of the crock.
NOTE: Most brands of frozen tater tots are gluten free, but check if needed.
Yield: 8-12 servings, Serving Size: 12
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 377 Calories
- Total Fat: 18.7g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Sodium: 972mg
- Carbohydrates: 46.1g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Protein: 5.3g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Old El Paso. All opinions are our own.