4-Ingredient Shrimp Cocktail Wonton Cups for all your holiday parties!
When I was a kid (ahem, in the eighties) it was common to see these items at holiday parties:
- Shrimp Cocktail
- Cream Cheese Wontons
- A slab of cream cheese, doused in cocktail sauce, with a pile of baby shrimp on top, served with crackers.
Now maybe option 3 is an Okie tradition. I’m not sure this elegant snack swept the nation from coast to coast. However, it tasted divine and I was sad when it went out of fashion.
So just in time for the Christmas and New Year, I thought I’d share an updated amalgamation of all three, Shrimp Cocktail Wonton Cups with cream cheese hiding inside!
With only 4 key ingredients, plus a little oil, salt, and pepper, you can make this easy party snack in minutes.
Depending on age, your friends will either thank you for the nod to drool-worthy appetizers of old, or will think this is some sort of new hipster party recipe.
Either way, just smile graciously.
To make Shrimp Cocktail Wonton Cups, start by placing jumbo shrimp on a baking sheet. Drizzle them with oil, and salt and pepper liberally. Roast them in the oven until the are plump and pink.
Then press wonton wrappers down in a mini muffin pan. Place a scant dollop of cream cheese in each wonton cup and bake until golden around the edges.
Finish the wonton cups with a little spoonful of cocktail sauce, and press a juicy shrimp on top!
You can make them as two-biters with the shrimp tails on, so your guests can dip the shrimp then pop the wonton cup.
Or you can make them with the tails removed, for single bite snacks.
Either way, this Shrimp Cocktail Wonton Cups Recipe will be a hit at your party this year!
Shrimp Cocktail Wonton Cups
Yield: 24 cups
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:15 minutes
- 24 raw jumbo shrimp
- 24 wonton wrappers (round or square)
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup cocktail sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Pat the shrimp dry and lay them out on the baking sheet. Then drizzle the shrimp with a little oil, and salt and pepper liberally. Roast the shrimp in the oven for 5-8 minutes, until plump and pink. Take the shrimp out of the oven before they seize up into tight circles. You want them to look like Cs, not Os.
- Meanwhile, spray a 24-count mini muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place the wonton wrapper down in each well, and press them down to form the shape of a cup. Cut the cream cheese into 24 pieces and place a small dollop in each wonton cup. Bake the wonton cups for 7-10 minutes, until golden brown around the edges.
- Once the shrimp and wonton cups are out of the oven, spoon a teaspoon of cocktail sauce into each wonton cup, and press a roasted shrimp into the cups. Serve warm!
Yield: 24 cups, Serving Size: 1 cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 89 Calories
- Total Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- Sodium: 270mg
- Carbohydrates: 19.5g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Sugar: 0.5g
- Protein: 8.5g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!