The Best Margarita Recipe
The Classic Margarita
Let’s talk Margaritas with my hubby Lt. Dan…
Hola Friends! This is Lt. Dan back to share random thoughts and stories.
I have not posted much lately as Mrs. Spicy has kept me locked up in a back room working on other aspects of A Spicy Perspective. But, since it is Cinco de Mayo, she has let me out long enough to whip up some queso and guacamole, and to share my best margarita recipe with all of you.
So where does your mind take you when you think of margaritas? Does it involve the sun, sand, and crystal blue water? Maybe a pontoon boat on the lake with a bunch of friends? How about a backyard pool, music in the background, chips and salsa on the picnic table, and sounds of fun and laughter all around?
Or possibly your favorite restaurant, surrounded by tacos and fajitas, salt-rimmed glasses and pitchers brimming with that “concoction that helps me hang on…”
Wherever it takes you, it is surely a happy place, usually filled with sun, friends, food, and fun.
Margaritas are not typically a serious drink, one where you ponder the world in your big leather chair and smoking jacket.
It’s not a “sophisticated” grown-up drink like a Manhattan or Martinez.
Frankly, depending on who you talk to, it is its own thing, and never the same to anyone. Margaritas can be served spicy, frozen, top shelf, bottom shelf, with a beer in the middle, smoky, salt-rimmed, not salt-rimmed, sugar rimmed, up, with ice, in a glass, in a pitcher (better), in a funnel (that was fun), with a shot (yes please), in your hand (time to take a break…)
You get the point.
No matter how they are served, margaritas are generally beloved by all.
Our Easy Margarita Recipe
The ingredients that really make a difference (in my opinion) in a margarita are:
- Good Tequila – the older the tequila the smoother it is, and a little less bitter
- Triple Sec and La Belle (or Grand Marnier) – you want both for deep flavor
- Homemade Simple Syrup – this is to balance out the alcohol
- Orange Juice – just a bit to add sweetness along with more bright, citrus zest
- Fresh Limes – citrus-y acid to offer a tropical note to the drink
- Garnishes – coarse or flake sea salt and slices of oranges and limes for the rim of the glass
The other ingredients can be tweaked to your liking, but try to stick with fresh limes and good tequila.
The Best Margarita Recipe
“The Best Margarita Recipe” is the favorite in our house. It’s simple and packed with flavor.
It should be mentioned it could also be called Knock You Naked Margaritas because they are strong!
These babies are boozy and limey, yet still balanced with a hint of sweet and salt. We typically make them by the pitcher (or two), although this particular day we had homemade margaritas for two.
We usually invite friends to share. (Or we serve something else because we drank the pitcher before they arrived).
How To Make Homemade Margaritas
The great thing about The Best Margarita Recipe is that you can literally add all the ingredients at once, in a pitcher, and leave it until you’re ready to serve.
BUT just in case you need a step by step here it is:
- Start by making the simple syrup if you don’t have any on hand. Mix 7 ounces of sugar with 7 ounces of water. Microwave until the sugar has dissolved. You should have about 9-10 ounces so there will be a little extra for rimming the glasses.
- Now pour all the ingredients in a large pitcher. Stir well and chill.
- When ready to serve, pour the remaining simple syrup in a shallow dish. Pour sea salt in a second shallow dish. Then dip the glass rims in simple syrup, followed by sea salt. Add ice to the glasses if desired to have homemade margaritas on the rocks, and fill a shaker with ice. Add the margarita mix to the shaker and shake for 10-15 seconds – pour into glasses.
Garnish the glasses with sliced limes or oranges and serve. Ole’!
Happy Cinco De Mayo!
Cheers, Lt. Dan
How Can I Make the Best Blended Margaritas?
We like our margaritas on the rocks, but this recipe also works well for creating fun and frosty blended (frozen) margaritas.
In a blender, combine the margaritas ingredients with 2-3 cups of cubed ice. Puree until smooth.
How Do I Make A Single Serving of the Best Margarita Recipe?
Don’t need an entire pitcher? No problem! For single servings made in a shaker, combine: 2 ounces Tequila, 2 ounces lime juice, 1 ounce La Belle, 3/4 ounce simple syrup, 1/3 ounce orange juice, 1/3 ounce Triple Sec.
Get the Complete (Printable) Best Margaritas Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Looking for More Margarita Recipes You’ll
- Spicy Pineapple Habanero Margaritas
- Cranberry Pomegranate Margarita with Spiced Rim
- Fresh Strawberry Margarita Recipe
- Pink Grapefruit Margarita
- Bangkok Margarita
The Best Margarita Recipe
- 18 ounces Tequila Blanco
- 18 ounces fresh squeezed lime juice (could be fresh bottled lime juice from the refrigerated section, but not the concentrated kind. FRESH)
- 9 ounces La Belle or Grand Marnier
- 8 ounces simple syrup + a little extra for glass rims
- 3 ounces orange juice
- 3 ounces Triple Sec
- coarse or flake sea salt for glass rims
- sliced lime and orange for garnish
- Start by making the simple syrup, if you don't have any on hand. Mix 7 ounces sugar with 7 ounces water. Microwave until the sugar has dissolved. You should have about 9-10 ounces so there will be a little extra for rimming the glasses.
- In a large pitcher, combine all the margarita ingredients. Stir well and chill.
- When ready to serve, pour the remaining simple syrup in a shallow dish. Pour sea salt (or flake salt) in a second shallow dish. Then dip the glass rims in simple syrup, followed by salt.
- Add ice to the glasses if desired, and fill a shaker with ice. Add the margarita mix to the shaker and shake for 10-15 seconds. Pour into glasses. Garnish the glasses with sliced limes or oranges and serve. Ole'!
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!