Best Margarita Recipe
Why We Love This Classic Margarita Recipe
Where does your mind take you when you think of margaritas? Does it involve the sun, sand, and crystal blue water? Maybe a pontoon boat on the lake with a bunch of friends? How about a backyard pool, music in the background, chips and salsa on the picnic table, and sounds of fun and laughter all around?
Or possibly your favorite restaurant, surrounded by tacos and fajitas, salt-rimmed glasses, and pitchers brimming with that “concoction that helps me hang on…”
Wherever it takes you, it is surely a happy place, usually filled with sun, friends, food, and fun.
My homemade margaritas recipe uses ALL the good stuff to make delicious margaritas that will take you right to your happy place. They have the perfect combination of sweet and sour flavors that are easy to drink and pair with so many Mexican-inspired meals. Use high quality ingredients and freshly squeezed lime juice for the best results!
Make this margarita cocktail recipe on cinco de mayo, or celebrate national margarita day on February 22!
Our Homemade Margarita Recipe
What is the secret to the perfect margarita?
The ingredients that really make a difference (in my opinion) in a Mexican margarita are:
- Good Tequila – the older the tequila the smoother it is; try a good blanco or reposado tequila
- Triple Sec and La Belle (or Grand Marnier) – you want both for deep flavor, or use cointreau or another favorite orange liqueur
- Homemade Simple Syrup – this is to balance out the alcohol, or try with agave for a skinny margarita
- Orange Juice – just a bit to add sweetness along with more bright, citrus zest
- Fresh Limes – citrus-y acid from fresh lime juice to offer a tropical note
- Garnishes – coarse or flake sea salt and slices of oranges and lime wedges for the rim of the glass
The other ingredients can be tweaked to your liking, but try to stick with fresh limes and good tequila.
The Best Margarita Recipe You’ll Ever Try
“The Best Margarita Recipe” is the favorite in our house. It’s simple and packed with flavor.
It should be mentioned it could also be called Knock You Naked Margaritas because they are strong!
These babies are boozy and limey, yet still balanced with a hint of sweetness and salt. We typically make them by the pitcher (or two), although this particular day we had homemade margaritas for two in a cocktail shaker.
We usually invite friends to share. (Or we serve something else because we drank the pitcher before they arrived).
How To Make Margaritas
The great thing about The Best Margarita Recipe is that you can literally add all the ingredients at once, in a pitcher, and leave it until you’re ready to serve.
BUT just in case you need a step by step here it is:
- Start by making the simple syrup if you don’t have any on hand. Mix 7 ounces of sugar with 7 ounces of water. Microwave until the sugar has dissolved. You should have about 9-10 ounces so there will be a little extra for rimming the glasses.
- Now pour all the ingredients into a large pitcher. Stir well and chill.
- When ready to serve, pour the remaining simple syrup into a shallow dish. Pour sea salt or coarse salt in a second shallow dish. Then dip the glass rims in simple syrup, followed by sea salt. Add ice to the glasses if desired to have homemade margaritas on the rocks, and fill a shaker with ice. Add the margarita mix to the shaker and shake for 10-15 seconds – pour into glasses.
Garnish the glasses with a salted rim, sliced limes or oranges, and serve. Ole’!
Get the Complete (Printable) Best Margaritas Recipe Below. Enjoy and Drink Responsibly!
Tips & Tricks
- For the very best margarita experience, never use a pre-made margarita mix! Those are packed with sugar and artificial ingredients. The flavors of the ingredients added here taste so much better!
- Only use fresh lime juice! Don’t use the concentrated kind. If you don’t want to squeeze them, get lime juice from the refrigerated juice section.
- Use your favorite tequila! We love using tequila blanco but you can use any tequila of your choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Can I Make the Best Blended Frozen Margaritas?
We like our margaritas on the rocks, but this recipe also works well for creating fun and frosty blended frozen margarita recipe.
In a blender, combine the margaritas ingredients with 2-3 cups of cubed ice. Puree until smooth.
However, if you are looking for a super simple quick frozen margarita recipe, check out these Easiest Frozen Margaritas.
How Do I Make A Single Serving of the Best Margarita Recipe?
Don’t need an entire pitcher? No problem! For single servings made in a shaker, combine 2 ounces Tequila, 2 ounces lime juice, 1 ounce La Belle, 3/4 ounce simple syrup, 1/3 ounce orange juice, 1/3 ounce Triple Sec.
Do I have to use both Triple Sec and Grand Marnier?
You could certainly use one or the other. Dan likes to add them both because they do taste a little different. He says adding them both creates better depth of flavor.
Can I purchase a Simple Syrup instead of making it?
Yes, there are some simple syrups that you can buy for your margaritas. Brands Dan would recommend are Barsmith (for a low-cost option), Yes Cocktail Company, Uncommon Goods, and Proof Syrup.
You can also make agave syrup if you prefer.
How Do You Store Leftover Margaritas?
If you end up having some leftovers (unlike me, haha) pour what is left into a freezable container and pop those in the freezer! Mason jars are great for this, especially if you want to freeze them in single-serving sizes making it easier to pull them out later and enjoy!
Looking for More Margarita Recipes To Love?
- Spicy Pineapple Habanero Margaritas Recipe
- Cranberry Pomegranate Margarita with Spiced Rim Recipe
- Frozen Strawberry Margarita Recipe
- Pink Grapefruit Margarita Recipe
- Bangkok Margarita Recipe
- Frozen Beeritas Recipe
Check the printable recipe card below for Nutrition Information including calories, carbs, cholesterol, sodium, sugar, and vitamin percentages.
Best Margarita Recipe
- 18 ounces Tequila Blanco
- 18 ounces fresh squeezed lime juice (could be fresh bottled lime juice from the refrigerated section, but not the concentrated kind. FRESH)
- 9 ounces La Belle or Grand Marnier
- 8 ounces simple syrup + a little extra for glass rims
- 3 ounces orange juice
- 3 ounces Triple Sec
- coarse or flake sea salt for glass rims
- sliced lime and orange for garnish
- Start by making the simple syrup, if you don't have any on hand. Mix 7 ounces sugar with 7 ounces water. Microwave until the sugar has dissolved. You should have about 9-10 ounces so there will be a little extra for rimming the glasses.
- In a large pitcher, combine all the margarita ingredients. Stir well and chill.
- When ready to serve, pour the remaining simple syrup in a shallow dish. Pour sea salt (or flake salt) in a second shallow dish. Then dip the glass rims in simple syrup, followed by salt.
- Add ice to the glasses if desired, and fill a shaker with ice. Add the margarita mix to the shaker and shake for 10-15 seconds. Pour into glasses. Garnish the glasses with sliced limes or oranges and serve. Ole'!