A classic favorite, this simple guacamole recipe is perfect on its own, but also makes a marvelous platform for creative add-ins! Use this easy guacamole recipe as the topper for all your Cinco de Mayo dishes!
Guacamole is one of the foods that when set in front of me, I have zero self-control.
And I do mean ZERO.
I’m suddenly at the mercy of a bowl of green obsession and a bag of chips. Nothing will stop me from scooping and munching, scooping and munching, scooping and munching, until someone identifies the issue at hand, and out of mercy, literally picks up the bowl and moves it out of my reach.
Apparently there aren’t therapists for this…
However, I justify my addiction by continually telling myself that a good simple guacamole recipe is healthy. Which it is.
But the 1 pound bag of tortilla chips, not so much.
Even so, my favorite easy guacamole recipe is something we make almost every week when avocados are ripe and in season. We dollop guacamole on top of salads and Mexican favorites. We serve it with cocktails and chips on Friday afternoon. We even make our easy guacamole recipe with breakfast scrambles and warm tortillas on the weekends.
And since no one is my family is in a hurry to stop the cycle of never-ending guacamole, I think I’ll just keep making it.
I do like to mix up my simple guacamole recipe. Although I believe it to be fabulous on its own, sometimes it’s fun to add an element of surprise!
Try making this easy guacamole recipe with the addition of:
- Crumbled Bacon
- Cooked Chorizo
- Crumbled Blue Cheese
- Drizzled with Buffalo Sauce
- Fresh Pineapple, Mango, or Strawberries
- Chopped Radishes or Jicama
- Feta Cheese + Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Chipotle Peppers
- Smoked Almonds
I usually stir in just one surprise ingredient, although the blue cheese and buffalo sauce is awfully nice together. Cinco de Mayo is just a few days away, why not set up a guacamole bar with stir-in toppings your friends can add themselves.
That, and a margarita bar sounds like pure Cinco de Mayo bliss!
Easy Guacamole Recipe
- 3 large ripe Haas avocados
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 plum tomatoes, diced
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the pit, and scoop the flesh out with a spoon. Place the avocado flesh in medium bowl and pour the lime juice over the top. Use a spoon and fork to mash the avocado until mostly smooth.
Smell your jalapeño to test the heat...you can usually tell if you got a spicy one. Stir in the garlic, jalapeño (half or all), green onions and cilantro. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the diced tomato at the very end.
- Serve immediately, or press plastic wrap down over the surface of the guacamole, removing all air bubbles, and refrigerate until ready to serve.