Moist and Fluffy Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
Thick or thin, crumbly or soft, smooth or with kernels – if you’re from the south then you likely have an opinion (or two) on which cornbread is the best.
While we believe that all cornbreads are beautiful, in our family we prefer thick and fluffy cornbread prepared in a baking dish. Although dense and slightly crispy cornbread made in a skillet is certainly yummy, it just doesn’t quite give me the oomph I need in a carb-alicious side dish.
To us, the taller the cornbread the better. Especially if it contains spicy jalapenos and cheese!
The Best Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread Recipe
Besides having a fabulous taste and the fluffiest texture possible, a thick cornbread is great for loading with all kinds of savory and spicy add-ins.
This Jalapeno Cornbread recipe with cheddar cheese is similar to our Fluffy Broccoli Cornbread, but kicked up a few notches thanks to the spicy peppers. The heat is balanced by cheesy goodness and sweet corn so that every bite is a party in your mouth. And it’s easy to tweak the ingredients and flavors to your liking!
Prep time is only about 15 minutes and this recipe uses just one bowl. The cornbread then bakes hands-off for 40 minutes, so in less than an hour, start to finish, you have a fresh and hot side dish on the table.
Pair Jalapeno Cheese Cornbread with your favorite fuss-free southern mains for a comforting dinner any night of the week!
Once you realize how simple it is to make cornbread from scratch using basic pantry items, I promise you’ll never buy the pre-made package blends again. All of these ingredients are easy to find at popular grocery stores, and you probably have most (if not all) of these in your kitchen right now:
- All-purpose flour – or your favorite gluten-free baking mix
- Cornmeal – not mix
- Granulated sugar – or coconut sugar
- Baking powder – to get perfectly tall cornbread
- Salt – just a pinch
- Garlic powder – because all good things have garlic, amirite?
- Buttermilk – store bought or homemade buttermilk
- Eggs – room temperature if you can
- Unsalted butter – melted
- Sweet corn – frozen and thawed
- Sharp cheddar cheese – shredded
- Jalapenos – diced
How to Make Jalapeno Cornbread with Cheddar Cheese
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Set out a 9 X 13 inch baking dish and spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
Dice the jalapenos and shred the cheese.
Pro Tip: If you are sensitive to heat you might want to wear gloves when handling the jalapenos.
Next, set out a large mixing bowl. Add the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and garlic powder. Mix well with a wire whisk. Then whisk in the buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter.
Whisk again until smooth.
Add the thawed sweet corn, 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese, and the diced jalapenos into the batter.
Gently and evenly fold the ingredients into the batter. You do not want to over mix or your Jalapeno Cornbread with Cheese won’t get that fantastic fluffy rise.
Then scoop the batter into the baking dish, and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup shredded cheese over the top.
Get the Complete (Printable) Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Bake for 40-50 minutes, until the center no longer jiggles when you shake the pan.
You can insert a toothpick into the center to make sure it’s fully baked. If the toothpick comes out dry, remove from the oven.
Let the cornbread cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving warm.
Make this cornbread just how you like! Here are just a few suggestions:
- Prepare as a fairly mild Jalapeno Cornbread recipe by seeding the fresh jalapenos before adding to the batter.
- Like it super spicy? Leave the jalapeno seeds in when you dice them!
- Make it even spicier by swapping cheddar with spicy pepper jack cheese or adding in crushed red pepper.
- Elevate the flavors in your cornbread by using gouda cheese. Or, use half shredded gouda and half shredded cheddar.
Frequently Asked Questions
Serve the fluffiest, most flavorful cornbread loaded with cheese and jalapenos alongside nearly any classic southern dish. It is delicious with mains like Coca-Cola Baked Ham, Grilled Pork Chops, or Slow Cooker Pulled Pork… And is a great addition to other sides like Southern Collard Greens and Cheesy Southern Squash Casserole.
Generous hunks of warm and soft cornbread are also wonderful to enjoy with hearty soups and stews. Try this recipe as a side for Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup, the BEST Beef Chili (seriously), and Creamy White Chicken Chili.
Cornmeal itself is GF so you simply need to swap the all-purpose flour with your preferred gluten-free baking mix.
Leftover cheesy cornbread with jalapenos will keep well for up to 3-4 days. Wrap tightly in cling wrap or keep in an airtight container at room temperature.
Yes! This is a great recipe to make ahead and freeze. Let the cornbread cool completely before wrapping it in cling film and then a layer of aluminum foil. For even more protection I recommend also storing it in an airtight plastic zipper bag. Defrost the Jalapeno Cheese Cornbread in the fridge overnight and bake in the oven at 350 degrees until warm, about 5-10 minutes.
Looking for More Classic Southern Side Dishes?
Moist and Fluffy Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups yellow cornmeal (not mix)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted
- 10 ounces frozen sweet corn thawed
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3-4 large jalapenos diced (about ¾ cup)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Set out a 9 X 13 inch baking dish and spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Dice the jalapenos and shred the cheese. (If you are sensitive to heat, seed the jalapenos before dicing, otherwise leave the seeds in.)
- Set out a large mixing bowl. Add the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and garlic powder. Mix well. Then whisk in the buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter. Whisk until smooth.
- Fold the thawed sweet corn, 2 cups of cheddar cheese, and the diced jalapenos into the batter. Mix well.
- Scoop the batter into the baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup shredded cheese over the top.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes. The center should no longer jiggle when you shake the pan. (You can insert a toothpick into the center to make sure it’s fully baked. If the toothpick comes out dry, remove from the oven.)
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!