Fluffy Broccoli Cornbread Recipe
This spring (can I call it spring yet?) I thought it would be fun to share some of the classic southern recipes I’ve learned to make since moving to North Carolina.
After all, southern comfort food not only makes you feel good when you eat it, it’s an absolute win at parties, work events, and when feeding picky people. *wink*
Classic Southern Cornbread
Here in the south, cornbread is made in many different ways.
The most traditional cast iron skillet cornbread is baked in bacon grease to create crispy edges. Yet there are fluffier versions decked out with all sorts of add-ins.
Recently I went to an event in which a new friend brought her variation of broccoli cornbread.
It was packed with broccoli cheese goodness and had a moist dense casserole-like texture, due to her addition of cottage cheese.
Although I loved her broccoli cornbread recipe, I thought I might like to make something similar with a fluffier texture.
Therefore today’s Fluffy Broccoli Cornbread Recipe is slightly tweaked, skipping the cottage cheese, and subbing in sour cream!
Making broccoli cornbread with sour cream, instead of cottage cheese, offers the same moisture level, yet with a light pillowy feel.
The recipe includes onions, spices, and shredded cheddar cheese to give it a zesty broccoli cheese appeal.
These broccoli cornbread squares are a fabulous side dish with nearly any meal. So I never worry if they will “fit in” at neighborhood potlucks or casual dinner parties.
Ready to get started?
To make our Fluffy Broccoli Cornbread Recipe you will need just ten ingredients…
Fluffy Broccoli Cornbread Recipe Ingredients
- Cornbread mix – You can also make this from scratch, but it’s nice to keep cornbread mix in the pantry for quickie baking projects.
- Eggs – For lift and moisture.
- Sour cream – For moisture and tangy flavor.
- Butter – Because everything is better with butter.
- Garlic powder – Just a little goes a long way.
- Paprika – I always use smoked paprika for that little hint of smoky essence. However regular paprika is tasty too!
- Salt – All baked goods need a pinch or two.
- Broccoli – This recipe calls for frozen-thawed broccoli, but you can substitute fresh broccoli if you have it. Just cut the broccoli florets very small.
- Onion – Dice into itty bitty pieces.
- Shredded cheddar cheese – The perfect complement to broccoli!
How To Make Broccoli Cornbread
- Simply dump the ingredients in a bowl, and mix well.
- Then pour the batter into a baking dish and bake until golden and fluffy. It’s that easy!
Get The Full (Printable) Fluffy Broccoli Cornbread Recipe Below
More Irresistible Cornbread Recipes
- Maple Bacon Cornbread
- Apple Spiced Cornbread Muffins
- Honey Cinnamon Corn Muffins
- Stuffed Mexican Cornbread
Fluffy Broccoli Cornbread Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree F. Grease a 9 X 13 inch baking dish, or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornbread mix, eggs, sour cream, melted butter, garlic powder, paprika, and salt. Whisk until smooth.
- Cut the largest broccoli florets in half. Add the broccoli, diced onion, and 1 1/4 cups shredded cheese to the cornbread mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining 3/4 cup shredded cheese over the top.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes, until the edges are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before cutting to serve.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!