Best Macaroni Salad Recipe
The Best Macaroni Salad Recipe – This classic southern macaroni salad recipe has a few surprise ingredients to give that perky, super-addictive flavor we all know and love, a zesty twist. It’s the perfect make ahead side dish for your next picnic or potluck!
The Best Macaroni Salad Recipe
How to describe this Macaroni Salad…. Well, it’s ridiculously addictive.
Once you start, you just can’t stop eating it.
In all honesty, I’m usually not a fan of macaroni salad. Most of the recipes I’ve tried over the years have been too sweet, too mayonnaise-y, too bland, or too dry and clumpy.
However, I was recently at a barbecue restaurant and decided to give their macaroni salad a taste. I was pleasantly surprised by the zesty flavor and silky texture. It still wasn’t life-changing for me, but it did inspire me to come home and make a version I could really enjoy.
This “The Best Macaroni Salad” recipe might be better titled “The Only Macaroni Salad Recipe You’ll Ever Need” because it is truly the only version I’ve ever tasted or made that I get excited about.
In fact, it’s hard not to eat it right out of the serving bowl.
Southern Macaroni Salad Ingredients
So, what’s the secret to a crave-worthy macaroni salad recipe?
It takes the right blend of ingredients to create a salty, slightly-sweet bite, that is balanced in spice and tang.
Along with the traditional mayo-based dressing and elbow macaroni I like to add:
- Roasted Red Peppers – Slightly acidic, with a smoky-sweet taste.
- Sweet Pickle Relish – For a tangy-sweet flavor
- Scallions – The perfect amount of onion taste
- Cooked Bacon – Salty, bacon-y goodness goes well with anything.
- Garlic – Who doesn’t love garlic? It enhances any dish.
- Hot Sauce – Choose your favorite kind!
- Kale – Let me explain…
Kale In Macaroni Salad?!
A little hot sauce, scallions, garlic, and rich fatty bacon balance out the tendency for macaroni salad to be too sweet.
However, the addition of roasted red peppers, pickle relish, and, perhaps surprisingly, kale, all offer intense flavor and color that has stay-power, making this recipe a marvelous make-ahead and leftover dish.
Look at the kale. It’s a pop of color that doesn’t wilt down like most fresh herbs.
Kale has a sturdy consistency and holds up well even with a heavy dressing. Including it in the salad adds hearty texture with a slightly earthy flavor.
How To Make Macaroni Salad Recipe
- Cook the macaroni according to the package instructions. Then drain and rinse the pasta with cold water, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar, hot sauce, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small dish.
- Combine the pasta and dressing. Then add the chopped roasted red peppers, kale, cooked bacon, pickle relish, and scallions.
- Toss well to coat. Refrigerate until ready to serve and enjoy this recipe cold.
Get the Complete (Printable) Recipe Below for How to Make the Best Macaroni Salad. Enjoy!
Try Our Easy Macaroni Salad Recipe
The texture of this salad is creamy-smooth, with little pops of crunch mingled throughout.
Perfect for barbecues, picnics, and potlucks, you’ll definitely want to share this life-changing version of macaroni salad.
My family is nuts over this recipe. It’s a side dish they ask for again and again.
I bet yours will, too!
Serve This Dish With…
- Best Cherry Coconut Homemade Brownie Recipe
- Summer Garden Dogs Recipe
- The Best EASY Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe (No-Chill!)
- Sausage Rolls (Mini Pigs in a Blanket) Recipe
- Chipotle BBQ Chicken Skewers Recipe
- Spicy Cowboy Bacon Burger Recipe
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead Of Time?
Yes!!! This recipe can be made up to 4 days ahead of enjoying.
Make sure to cover it well and refrigerate. Serve chilled.
Do You Recommend Freezing Macaroni Salad?
Because of the mayo and fresh ingredients, it is not advised that you freeze this dish.
Can I Leave Out The Pickles?
If you can’t stand pickles, you can leave them out.
Then if you feel the salad needs a little acidity, add rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon at a time until it tastes right to you.
Can I Make This Salad Vegetarian?
Absolutely! Just leave out the cooked bacon for a vegetarian-friendly version of the Best Macaroni Salad.
How About Gluten-Free?
Simply swap your favorite alternative-flour elbow pasta in place of traditional macaroni for a gluten-free version.
Can I Substitute The Kale?
Sure! You can substitute spinach or parsley. Although, one of my kids hates kale as well, and never detects it in this recipe.
Is There A Specific Mayo To Use?
Honestly, it’s just a matter of personal taste. You can use any mayonnaise brand you like, whether its Hellmans, Miracle Whip or an Olive Oil based Mayonnaise!
Looking for More Scrumptious Pasta Salads?
- Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta Salad Recipe
- Tuna Pasta Salad with Olives and Capers Recipe
- The Best Italian Pasta Salad Recipe
- Cool Chicken Taco Pasta Salad Recipe
- Hawaiian Macaroni Potato Salad Recipe
- Zesty Greek Pasta Salad Recipe
- Greek Orzo Pasta Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette Recipe
- Cold Tortellini Pasta Salad Recipe
The Best Macaroni Salad Recipe
- 1 pound macaroni pasta
- 12 ounces roasted red pepper, (1 jar) drained and chopped
- 3/4 cup kale, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 cup scallions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise, could be low fat
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, I used Frank's RedHot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the macaroni according to the package instructions, usually 7-10 minutes. Then drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a medium bowl mix the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar, hot sauce, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper.
- Pour the macaroni in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the top. Then add the chopped roasted red peppers, kale, bacon, pickle relish, and scallions.
- Toss well to coat. Then refrigerate until ready to serve.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!