Creamy Southwest Ranch Pasta Salad
Our refreshing and delicious Creamy Ranch Pasta Salad recipe features lots of Southwestern flair like black beans, corn, cilantro, and bold spices. It’s a chilled pasta salad that’s perfect for all of your spring and summer gatherings, and can easily be made gluten-free and vegan-friendly!
Creamy Ranch Pasta Salad Recipe (Southwest)
The sun is out and it is officially pasta salad season! There is just nothing better for sharing at potlucks and barbecues than a big bowl of refreshingly cold, perfectly tender and tangy pasta salad.
And oh my goodness, the varieties are nearly endless… From classic Macaroni Salad and Italian Pasta Salad to fun and fresh Zesty Greek Pasta Salad, Hawaiian Macaroni and Potato Salad, and Cool Chicken Taco Pasta Salad, you can easily create delicious versions that feature any flavor profiles you like!
You might have noticed, we are big fans of Southwestern flavors ’round here. So we decided to make this creamy pasta salad featuring all of the bold Tex-Mex goodies we love! Our Creamy Ranch Southwest Pasta Salad includes tender noodles, lots of veggies like peppers and sweet corn, black beans, bright spices, and a creamy, cool cilantro-lime ranch dressing.
This recipe is great to make for summer parties, weekly meal preps, and is popular with kids! Plus, it’s simple to customize Creamy Southwest Pasta Salad with gluten-free noodles and/or vegan-friendly ranch dressing to please nearly any tastes.
What Ingredients You Need
This fabulous pasta salad is loaded with fresh goodies and pantry staples. Together they make a creamy, crunchy, absolutely irresistible pasta salad that everyone will love!
To make this Southwest Pasta Salad recipe you need:
- Small pasta – we like to make tri color pasta salad with fussili, but feel free to use any small pasta you like
- Black beans – drained
- Grape or cherry tomatoes – halved
- Frozen corn – thawed
- Red bell pepper – seeded and chopped
- Red onion – chopped
- Cilantro – chopped
- Sliced black olives – drained
- Jalapeno (optional) – seeded and diced
For the creamy ranch dressing you need:
- Ranch dressing – your favorite thick and creamy version
- Lime juice – freshly squeezed
- Spices – chili powder, ground cumin, salt and pepper
How to Make Southwest-Style Creamy Ranch Pasta Salad
It takes less than 30 minutes to prepare this easy recipe for Southwestern Pasta Salad with tangy ranch dressing. However, I do recommend that you make it ahead, if possible… When the pasta salad is chilled in the fridge for at least a few hours the flavors have the opportunity to mix and mingle. And isn’t pasta salad just the best when it’s really cold?
Follow these simple steps to make Ranch Pasta Salad for your next picnic or potluck:
First, place a large pot of salted water over high heat on the stovetop. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Then drain – do not rinse! – and set aside to cool.
While the pasta is cooking, chop all of the fresh ingredients.
Next, set out a large salad bowl. Add the cooked and cooled pasta, black beans, tomatoes, corn, chopped bell pepper, onion, cilantro, olives, and jalapeno.
In a separate bowl (or measuring pitcher) combine the dressing ingredients. Mix well, taste, and add salt and pepper as needed.
Get the Complete (Printable) Creamy Southwest Ranch Pasta Salad Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Now gently mix the dressing into the pasta salad. Stir with a spatula or large spoon to throughly coat the pasta and veggies.
Cover the bowl and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour for the best taste. Allowing the pasta salad ingredients to rest with the dressing longer creates a better overall flavor.
Serve cold at summer gatherings, or keep in the fridge to enjoy throughout the week as a side dish or snack!
Frequently Asked Questions
Simply swap traditional pasta with your favorite gluten-free noodles!
Absolutely! For a vegan Creamy Pasta Salad use your preferred plant-based vegan ranch dressing.
This recipe is excellent to make ahead! In fact, I think I love eating it even more the day after it’s made. Homemade Southwest Pasta Salad with ranch dressing will keep well for up to 4-5 days in the fridge.
Looking for More Easy Potluck and Picnic Recipes?
- Wild Rice Salad with Blueberries and Herbs
- Cowboy Caviar (Buffalo Style)
- Grandma’s Best Ambrosia Salad
Creamy Southwest Ranch Pasta Salad Recipe
- 1 pound small pasta we used fusilli
- 15 ounce black beans drained
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 3 ounce sliced black olives drained
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced (optional)
For the Dressing –
- 1 cup thick creamy ranch dressing
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Place a large pot of salted water over high heat. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions, then drain and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile chop all necessary ingredients.
- Set out a large salad bowl. Add in the cooked pasta, black beans, tomatoes, corn, chopped bell pepper, onion, cilantro, olives, and jalapeno.
- In a separate bowl (or measuring pitcher) combine the ranch dressing, lime juice, chili powder, and cumin. Mix well. Then taste, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix the dressing into the pasta salad and gently stir until well coated.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour. (Allowing the pasta salad ingredients to rest with the dressing longer creates a better overall flavor.)
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Pingback: What To Serve With Chili - 45 Delicious Side Dishes - Pantry & Larder
This seemed dry to me so I double the dressing. I don’t know if I put to many noodles or what but it was good with the extra dressing.
Pingback: What To Serve With Pollo Asado - 21 BEST Side Dishes
Pingback: What To Serve With Cajun Chicken - 39 Delicious Side Dishes - Pantry & Larder
This salad is perfect for the summer! It’s great with bbq or even tacos. I love the olives- such good flavor!
oh my goodness this recipe is just amazing! We did decide to add in the jalapeño and the ranch cooled it down to make this the best pasta Salad I think I have ever tried!