Cowboy Caviar (Buffalo-Style!)
Buffalo Cowboy Caviar Recipe (Buffalo-Style) – This bold and spicy cowboy caviar recipe is the perfect zesty dip (or side dish!) for any occasion. My easy Buffalo Cowboy Caviar recipe is healthy, gluten-free, vegan, and perfect for making ahead of time!
What is Cowboy Caviar?
I must admit, I did not expect to like this Cowboy Caviar recipe the first time I tried it.
This cowboy dish has to have the most nondescript name for any recipe ever… It does not include caviar, nor buffalos. And there are no cowboys involved either, although cowboys could certainly make and eat it I suppose.
After my first taste of Cowboy Caviar, I was surprised and amazed. I tried it, and tried it, and kept on trying it. In fact, it turned out to be my entire dinner for the night.
Fresh, crunchy, spicy, slightly sweet, and scooped up with tortilla chips, I just could not get enough of this unique dip!
A classic Cowboy Caviar Recipe is so delicious, I just had to make my own version.
This Cowboy Caviar Dip combines fresh, colorful, diced vegetables, beans, black-eyed peas, corn, and a savory buffalo hot wing seasoning.
It’s a flavor-packed collaboration that is great for scooping up with tortilla chips, but can also be served on its own as a salad, or used as a fresh relish for any number of dishes.
Guilt-free of course, my spicy Cowboy Caviar Recipe is also vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free.
It is the perfect party snack!
Easy Buffalo Cowboy Caviar
Buffalo Cowboy Caviar is so quick to throw together, and it is quite a feast for the eyes, as well as the palate. It requires no actual cooking to make, and stays fresh in the fridge for days.
Chop some fresh veggies, open a few cans of beans, whisk up the dressing, and mix. Allow the Buffalo Cowboy Caviar time to marinate for about an hour, so the flavors mature. Boom, and done.
What Ingredients You Need
My favorite Cowboy Caviar Recipe calls for a few canned ingredients and lots of fresh veggies.
Below are my recommendations, but you can certainly change up the dip ingredients based on what’s available and your personal preference.
Trust me though: you’ll love the buffalo spice marinade!
For the Cowboy Caviar:
- Canned Black Beans
- Canned Black Eyed Peas
- Canned Corn
- Roma Tomatoes
- Red Onion
- Orange Bell Pepper
- Green Onions
For the Buffalo Dressing:
- Olive Oil
- Lime Juice
- Honey (or maple syrup to make vegan)
- Buffalo Wing Seasoning (If you can’t find it, add in some Buffalo Hot Sauce!)
How to Make Cowboy Caviar Dip
This healthy dip recipe really is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
Here’s how to whip up a batch of Buffalo Cowboy Caviar before your next potluck or party:
- Make the marinade – Whisk the buffalo dressing ingredients together in a small bowl, and set aside.
- Prepare the caviar – Remove seeds, chop and dice the fresh produce, drain and rinse the canned goods, and place all of the caviar ingredients in a large bowl. Gently mix in the buffalo marinade to coat.
- Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving either cold or at room temperature.
Get the Full (Printable) Cowboy Caviar Recipe Below!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is This Recipe Gluten-Free?
Be sure to double-check the ingredients list on the buffalo spice and tortilla chips you purchase to ensure that they contain no gluten additives. Otherwise yes, this Cowboy Caviar recipe is gluten-free.
Can Buffalo Cowboy Caviar Be Made Ahead of Time?
This salad/dip holds up very well, making it a great take-along for cookouts, picnics, potlucks, and the like. It’s also great for meal prepping to make part of your lunch meal plan for the week!
Store covered in the refrigerator for up to a week, but I doubt it will last that long!
How Do You Suggest Enjoying Cowboy Caviar?
Personally, my favorite way to eat Buffalo Cowboy Caviar is with scoopable tortilla chips – the thicker the better!
Add a hearty portion to a green salad for a fresh and healthy option, or use it as a zesty topping on tacos.
As a side dish Cowboy Caviar goes great with burritos, and even is a flavorful addition to your eggs at breakfast.
I’d love to hear your ideas in the comments!
Looking For More Fresh Dips and Salsas?
- Hot Smoked Pimento Cheese Dip
- Grilled Chipotle Peach Salsa
- Fresh Mango Guacamole
- The Best Homemade Tomato Salsa
- Creamy Avocado Salsa Verde
- Spicy Feta Dip with Roasted Red Peppers
Cowboy Caviar Recipe (Buffalo-Style!)
For the Cowboy Caviar:
- 15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 11 ounces corn, drained
- 4 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 large firm avocados, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup green onions, diced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1-2 large jalapenos, seeded and diced
- In a small bowl, mix the marinade ingredients.
- Chop all the vegetables and herbs. Place the rest of the ingredients in a large salad bowl. Pour the marinade over the top, and stir gently to coat well.
- Chill for at least 1 hour. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!