Cool Chicken Taco Pasta Salad
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Cool Chicken Taco Pasta Salad, a zesty main dish (or side dish) perfect for picnics!
I have a confession to make… During the summer, I secretly try to make all our meals portable, just in case we get the notion to pack up dinner and go on a picnic.
Does this happen all the time? Not as much as I’d like.
Yet there are rare moments when we learn of an outdoor concert series in the park, or something of the sort, and decide to grab a picnic blanket and head out the door. I like to be prepared for these times. In my mind, if I’m prepared, they will happen more often!
Who doesn’t love a cool and creamy pasta salad during the spring and summer months?
They are easy to make, easy to pack and throw in a cooler, and can last for days in the fridge.
I have an amazing to-go southern macaroni salad that my family gets excited about. Yet the rule when making pasta salad is that anything goes.
If you want to throw in extra ingredients to clean out the fridge, go for it!
If you want to add protein to make it a meal instead of a side dish, do it!
If you want to amp up the flavor with zesty ingredients, perfect!
Today’s Cool Chicken Taco Pasta Salad recipe is a tantalizing example of the versatility of pasta salads. It’s bold and vivacious, made with chicken taco ingredients.
This blend of tangy-sweet dressing and spicy Old El Paso ingredients is a perky delight to the palate.
The Cool Chicken Taco Pasta Salad itself combines chopped cooked chicken, a great way to use up leftovers by the way, fresh tomatoes, sliced black olives, scallions, cilantro, and shredded cheese.
But again, you can add anything you might put on a taco.
You get all the appeal of classic chicken tacos, without the messy hands.
Cool Chicken Taco Pasta Salad is an absolute winner this season. Make it ahead for parties, picnics, and neighborhood events. Then watch it quickly disappear!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Old El Paso. All opinions are my own.
Cool Chicken Taco Pasta Salad
- 1 pound fusilli pasta
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken, leftover or rotisserie
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 3.8 ounces sliced black olives (1 can)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 8 ounces French or Catalina Dressing (1 bottle)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 packet Old El Paso Taco Seasoning
- 4.5 ounce Old El Paso Chopped Green Chiles (1 can)
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese (optional)
- Boil a large pot of water and cook the fusilli pasta according to package instructions. Drain and rinse under cold water to cool the pasta. Shake off excess water and pour the pasta into a large salad bowl.
- Add the chopped chicken, tomatoes, scallions, black olives, and cilantro to the pasta.
- In a separate bowl, combine the French dressing with sour cream, Old El Paso Taco Seasoning and Chopped Green Chiles. Stir until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta salad and toss well to coat. Toss in the shredded cheese if desired. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!