Chipotle BBQ Chicken Skewers Recipe
Grilled Chicken Skewers
The last few weeks, we’ve been brushing the snow off the grill in order to usher in the beginning of spring.
By spring, I mean grill season. And now that the weather is warming and grilling is enjoyable again, we’ve been grilling a 5-Ingredient wonder we call Chipotle BBQ Chicken Skewers.
This is a dish we make, that takes no time at all, and offers a serious flavor-smack with only a handful of ingredients. It truly is amazing!
Chicken Skewers Recipe Ingredients
These zingy juicy BBQ Chicken Skewers are made with just 5 simple ingredients, one in particular, that makes all the difference! Ingredients include:
- BBQ Sauce
- Chipotle Peppers
- Musselman’s Apple Butter
The skewers are laced with pieces of thick-cut bacon to keep the chicken juicy and flavorful on the grill. Then we bumped BBQ sauce to another level, by pureeing it with sweet Musselman’s Apple Butter and chipotle peppers.
The apple butter provides depth and richness to the BBQ sauce, while the chipotle peppers offer smoky heat.
How to Make This Chipotle BBQ Chicken Skewers Recipe
(For full recipe with measurements and times, see the recipe card below)
- Soak eight wooden skewers in water. Preheat the grill to medium or medium-low heat. Cut the chicken breasts into 3/4 inch bite-sized pieces. Then cut the bacon into 3/4 inch strips. Alternate threading the chicken and bacon onto eight skewers, leaving a bare handle on one end of each skewer. Sprinkle the chicken skewers with salt and pepper.
- Place the BBQ sauce, Musselman’s Apple Butter and chipotle peppers in the blender. Puree until smooth.
- Grill the chicken skewers. Then brush the skewers with the chipotle apple BBQ sauce and grill again, until the edges of the bacon are crisp, but not burned. Serve warm.
You might think grilling bacon is a bad idea… Please allow me to try to change your mind.
If grilled bacon makes you think of fiery flare-ups and pork-fat burnt to a crisp, let’s talk about grilling temperatures.
Some people are under the impression that a grill should always be heated to the highest temperature possible for quick cooking. However, my grill goes up to over 750 degrees F. Can you image what that would do to bacon? Or chicken, for that matter.
Lower temperature grilling offers you control and flexibility.
Try heating your grill to only medium (350-450 degrees F) or even medium-low (around 300 degrees F) heat. This will allow you to cook the chicken all the way through while crisping the edges of the bacon without flare-ups.
Chicken Skewers in Oven
Don’t have a grill? You can also bake these grilled Chipotle BBQ Chicken Skewers. This recipe doesn’t have to be limited to the spring or summer with the baked version. Make this any time during the year for a tasty meal!
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Thread the skewers with chicken and bacon, then puree the bbq sauce as directed above.
- Lay the chicken skewers on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and brush well with the bbq sauce.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the edges of the bacon are crispy. Serve warm!
Here are some delicious side dishes that are perfect with this recipe.
- Lemon Butter Roasted Asparagus
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Oven Roasted Broccoli Recipe
- Healthy Rainbow Chopped Salad
Your friends and family will go crazy over this recipe at your first neighborhood barbecue this spring. Fortunately for you, when they ask for the recipe you can count off the ingredients on one hand!
See The Recipe Card Below For How To Make This Chipotle BBQ Chicken Skewers Recipe. Enjoy!
other skewer recipes you might like:
- Balsamic Chicken Skewers with Israeli Couscous
- Teriyaki BBQ Shrimp Skewers
- Honey Sriracha Chicken Skewers
- Grilled Vegetable Kabobs with Fajita Butter
- Fruit Skewers
- Chocolate Strawberry Kabobs from I Heart Naptime
Chipotle BBQ Chicken Skewers Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 thick cut bacon strips
- 1 cup sweet BBQ sauce
- 2/3 cup Musselman's Apple Butter
- 2 chipotle peppers (canned in adobo sauce)
- Soak 8 wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes. Preheat the grill to medium or medium-low heat. (Between 300-350 degrees F.) Cut the chicken breasts into 3/4 inch bite-sized pieces. Then cut the bacon into 3/4 inch strips. Alternate threading the chicken and bacon onto 8 skewers, leaving a bare handle on one end of each skewer. Sprinkle the chicken skewers with salt and pepper.
- Place the bbq sauce, Musselman’s Apple Butter and chipotle peppers in the blender. Puree until smooth.
- Grill the chicken skewers for 4 minutes per side. Then brush the skewers with the chipotle apple bbq sauce and grill another 3-4 minutes per side, until the edges of the bacon is crisp, but not burned. Serve warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Musselman’s Apple Butter. All opinions are my own.