Cream Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
This is the Best Cream Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe we’ve ever made. Puffy, perky, and packed with cheesy flavor. Give it a try this holiday season!
I have always loved stuffed mushrooms.
As a child, my mom would make them for holiday gatherings, stuffed with bread crumbs and sausage.
Over the years we’ve made many variations of baked mushrooms, from Asian-inspired stuffed mushrooms glazed in plum sauce to hearty chorizo Spanish stuffed mushrooms.
Although I enjoy them all, the most memorable stuffed mushrooms recipe I’ve ever eaten was served at our wedding over 20 years ago.
Most brides don’t eat at their weddings. They are either too nervous or too busy to sit down and take a bite.
However, I have never been one who could (or would) go without food. It’s possible I coined the phrase hangry long before it became a part of pop culture.
I knew there was no way I would make it through our monumental evening without sustenance. So when the time came to eat at our reception, I headed to the elaborate dinner buffet and shamelessly loaded up my plate.
The Best Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
The only thing I actually remember eating that night was the stuffed mushrooms. They were soft, silky, and packed with oozing three types of cheese. So different from the bread stuffing mushrooms my mom made.
When you took a bite the hot molten cheese somehow stayed inside the mushroom, although it was obviously begging to come out. Sigh…
Mushroom Caps with Filling
Today’s Best Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms are a copycat version of the mushroom recipe served at my wedding.
Made from memory, I can’t say they are exactly the same as the mushrooms we ate so long ago. Yet they are divinely delicious. Each bite makes me close my eyes in happy memory of that special day.
These Best Cheesy Mushrooms are very easy to make using only 7 ingredients, plus salt and pepper. They are vegetarian, gluten-free, low-carb, and can even fit into a keto diet.
Ready to get started?
Helpful Mushrooms Tips
- If you can’t find smoked cheddar, use smoked gouda, or regular cheddar cheese.
- You can swap the button mushrooms for other mushroom varieties with a similar shape.
- Don’t love roasted red peppers? Substitute chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
- Need meat? Add in some crumbled bacon or some Italian sausage.
- Stuffed mushrooms do not freeze well. If you need to make this recipe ahead, prep and fill the mushrooms up to two days ahead. Then refrigerate them until ready to bake.
Best Cheesy Mushrooms Ingredients
- White Button mushrooms – Select medium-sized mushrooms that can be eaten in 1-2 bites. You can also go with cremini mushrooms or baby bella mushrooms if you prefer.
- Cream cheese – The base of the creamy filling.
- Smoked cheddar – For bold smoky flavor.
- Parmesan cheese – To create a crusty top.
- Roasted red peppers – Adds a pop of tang and color.
- Onions and garlic – Mushrooms’ BFFs.
How To Make Cream Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- Prep the Mushrooms – Gently pop off the stems of the mushrooms to create a cavity inside. Either discard the stems or save them for later use. Then use a damp paper towel to brush off the dirt on the mushroom tops. It’s best not to rinse mushrooms or submerge them in water, because they absorb liquid quickly.
- Mix the Filling – Soften the cream cheese. Then mix it in a bowl with the shredded smoked cheddar cheese, diced red pepper, onion, and garlic. Stir in salt and pepper to the mixture just a tad.
- Fill the Mushrooms – Spoon the cheese mixture to fill the mushroom cavities with plenty of filling. It’s ok if it pops over the top; that gives the parmesan cheese something to cling to.
- Coat the Tops – Press each cheese-stuffed top in grated parmesan cheese rather than doing a sprinkle of parmesan. Set them in the baking pan or baking sheet, cheese-side-up. They should fit tightly in the baking dish, but will shrink while baking.
- Bake – Leave in the oven for 30-35 minutes, until the tops are puffed and golden. The mushrooms should look dark and soft.
Get The Full (Printable) Recipe for How To Make The Best Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Do The Leftovers Last?
These mushrooms can last in the fridge for 3 to 5 days. Place in an airtight container and refrigerate. You can also make this recipe ahead and refrigerate 1-2 days before baking.
Can I Freeze This Recipe?
Yes, these can be baked and frozen, then reheated later. Make sure to thaw them out before reheating them in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes.
How Do I Know How Much To Fill The Mushrooms?
Don’t overfill! You do not have to use all the filling. Mushroom cavities vary, so there’s a chance you might have some cheese filling leftover. Don’t be tempted to pile the filling high, or you might end up with a big mess. This is even more likely if your oven temperature runs hot. Use the less-is-more mentality when filling the mushrooms with just a small dome of filling on top.
This is a great party appetizer to prep a day or two ahead, then bake right before your event.
What Can I Make With The Extra Mushroom Stems?
If you used button mushrooms or cremini mushrooms, you would usually throw away the stems which is a pity since they are still great to cook with. You can take your chopped mushroom stems and add them into a soup that calls for mushrooms instead of adding the mushroom caps.
You can even add them with your vegetable scraps from other meals to make a vegetable stock or broth.
More Tantalizing Mushroom Recipes
- Stuffed Mushrooms with Chorizo and Cheese
- Halloween Mushroom Eyeballs
- Crunchy Jalapeno Bacon Stuffed Mushroom Recipe
- Asian Stuffed Mushroom Recipe
- Mushroom Rice Pilaf
- Creamy Wild Mushroom Soup
- Chopped Steak with Mushroom Gravy
- The Best Sauteed Mushroom Recipe
- Stir-Fried Asian Mushroom Recipe
- Sausage Mushroom Thanksgiving Stuffing
Check out the printable recipe card below with the nutrition information including calories, carbohydrates, protein, saturated fat, cholesterol, sodium, and fiber percentages.
Cream Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- 30 medium raw button mushrooms (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cups shredded smoked cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper, drained and diced
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Set out a 9×13-inch baking dish. Gently pop off the stems of the mushrooms. Discard the stems or save for later use. Then use a damp paper towel to brush off the dirt on the mushroom tops. Do rinse them in water.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese, smoked cheddar cheese, diced red pepper, onion, and garlic together. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper. Mix well.
- Use a spoon to pack the cavity of each mushroom with cheese filling. It's ok if it pops over the top a little. (But not too much or they will look messy.)
- Press each cheese-stuffed top in grated Parmesan cheese to create a crust. Then set them in the baking dish, cheese-side-up. (It’s okay if they are tightly fitted in the baking dish, because they will shrink while baking.)
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the tops are puffed and golden. Serve warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Pingback: How to Stay Keto on Thanksgiving | My Blog
Pingback: 40 Keto Thanksgiving Recipes - How To Eat Low-Carb On ... - Women's Health - Keto Blogs
Pingback: What To Serve With Tuna Steaks: 20+ Best Oustanding Side Dishes
In the recipe for Cream Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms it says, Do rinse them in water. But in the description of how to make it says, It’s best not to rinse mushrooms or submerge them in water, because they absorb liquid quickly. Little confused, but in making stuffed mushrooms, I do not rinse the mushrooms in water. This recipe was delicious. Next time, I’m adding garlic & bacon.
Don’t know what happened. They looked beautiful until they went in the oven then they turned into a sloggy mess. Mushrooms in Cheese Sauce is a more accurate description. I made them for a party and baked them there so there was no going back. I was soooo embarrassed.
Is it possible you overfilled the mushrooms? The mushrooms can support a small dome, but too much filling will make them run over the sides. Sorry about that!
Pingback: What to Serve with Blackened Tuna – 27 Tasty Sides
The recipe with mushrooms stuffed with cheese is exactly what I would enjoy! These sound too good to pass up adding them to my Christmas Eve dinner menu!
This will be really 😋
I love this recipe so much! These mushrooms are incomparable to other cheese stuffed mushrooms I have tried before!
These were very popular with lots of requests for more Please! I used the smoked cheese version but added a piece of pickled Jalapeño to the base Yum!
Pingback: 30 Ideas for Stuffing Mushroom Recipe - Best Recipes Ideas and Collections
These are always a hit at our house! We usually don’t walk away while eating them for fear they’ll be gone when you get back, haha!
Oh my goodness! These looks so delicious and tasty! I can’t wait to give these a try! I’m so excited! My family is going to love these!
I love mushrooms but mushrooms stuffed with cheese is my kind of recipe! Adding this to my dinner menu for Christmas Eve; these look too good to pass up!
Absolutely delicious, even with air fryer
Pingback: 25 Tasty Keto Holiday Recipes You Have to Try This Year
These were really great. Thanks for posting! I didn’t have smoked cheddar so just added in some smoked paprika with regular sharp cheddar. I also didn’t grated Parmesan on hand but used a piece of shaved Parm on top of each and they turned out really great. I received lots of compliments.
Pingback: 10 Tasty Stuffed Mushrooms Appetizer Recipes To Try - TheDailysBlog
i love stuffed mushrooms can’t wait to make these i make mine with stuffing and crab meat i can’t wait to make i’m going to make some with crab i love seafood thanks for recipe
Pingback: 10 TASTY STUFFED MUSHROOMS APPETIZER RECIPES TO TRY
Not yet, but am going to make it tonight for part of my dinner. Can’t wait.
Pingback: Sauteed or Stuffed? 50 Mushroom Recipes We Love
Pingback: Stuffed Mushrooms To Rejoice Your Taste Buds - TheTellMeWhy
Pingback: Best Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms – bakup
I stuffed these too https://bit.ly/2R1LOpE
Hello, this is the first review I’ve written I have made these mushrooms no less then two times exactly as the recipe says and they have turned out amazing every time and my friend all love it. Thanks for your recipe and wait a new your post!