Sunburst Pull Apart Bread
A fun idea for holiday breakfasts or party snacks. This Sunburst Pull Apart Bread recipe can be made either sweet or savory with just 3-4 ingredients!
I’m always looking for a good shortcut recipe this time of year. With all the slow cooking and time consuming holiday dishes on the horizon, it’s nice to have a quickie you can prep in minutes and pop in the oven.
Today’s Sunburst Pull Apart Bread is exactly that. Easy. Fast. Minimal ingredients. And impressive to behold.
Made with puff pastry, it’s golden, buttery, and crispy on the outside. Sunburst Pull Apart Bread is also a two-for-one because you can make sweet varieties for breakfast or dessert, and make savory versions as side dishes or appetizers.
Once you know how to do it, you will find all kinds of occasions to make your favorite variety of Sunburst Pull Apart Bread again and again!
Here are some things you can add inside…
- Cinnamon Sugar
- Raspberry Jam
- Store-Bought Pesto
- Goat Cheese
- Olive Tapenade
Today I’m showing you two variations, cinnamon sugar and roasted red pepper pesto. But feel free in be creative with your Sunburst Pull Apart Bread!
Lay out one thawed piece of puff pastry and sprinkle your filling on top. (Don’t over do it with the filling or it will run all over the place.)
Top with a second piece of puff pastry and cut toward the center into 20 strips, leaving a small circle in the middle untouched.
Then twist the sections into ropes and brush with egg wash. Now bake and enjoy!
See how easy that was? You can totally do this.
Sunburst Pull Apart Bread is a gorgeous addition to your holiday table. Not only does it look pretty, it tastes amazing. And guests love the idea of breaking off their own pieces!
If you try a creative filling make sure to come back and tell me about it in the comments below. I can’t wait to hear what you come up with!!
Sunburst Pull Apart Bread
- 2 sheets thawed puff pastry (1 box)
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set another piece out on the counter.
- Lay both sheets of puff pastry on the additional parchment. Roll them slightly to remove the seams. Then mix 2 tablespoons of sugar with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and sprinkle over the entire surface of one puff pastry square. Cover the puff pastry sheet with the second puff pastry square and line up the corners.
- Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut through both sheets dividing the square into 4 equal sections, leaving a 1 1/2- to 2-inch area in the very middle that is uncut. (This will hold the sunburst together.) Now cut each quarter section into 5 equal strips, again leaving the untouched section in the middle. Trim the corners off the square to round it out. Carefully move the sunburst to the prepared baking sheet. (The parchment you cut on may have slashes in it.)
- Gently pick up one strip and twist it into a rope. Be careful not to pull too hard, or it will break off. Repeat, twisting each section in the same direction all the way around the circle. Then gently pull each rope to lengthen them. Beat the egg and water together to create "egg wash" then brush it over the top. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar and bake for 20+ minutes, until puffy and golden-brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!