Crispy Baked Chicken Cutlets
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Baked Chicken Cutlets – This baked “fried chicken” recipe has been a will-power saver for years. When you are craving something deep-fried and crunchy, this recipe comes to the rescue.
Diets Are Hard
So… You’ve only been dieting for eleven days and already you’re craving fried chicken.
You probably haven’t had fried chicken for months, maybe years, but now that it’s officially off-limits, so of course, it’s all you can think about.
You lay in bed at night with a pinch in your stomach and crispy little drumsticks dancing in your head.
This happens to me… All. The. Time.
I can’t remember the first time I made “healthy” fried chicken, but I’m pretty sure it was right after the first time I discovered I needed to shed a few pounds.
That must have been 20+ years ago. Jeeeeeze!
This crispy baked chicken recipe has come in handy on many occasions. It’s an easy meal that comes together in minutes and the potential serving methods are endless.
I often serve crispy baked chicken cutlets over salads, yet even there, think of the options:
- Crispy Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Crispy Baked Chicken Taco Salad
- Baked “Fried Chicken” over Southern Slaw
- Baked Breaded Chicken Cutlets over Field Greens with Fresh Berries and Goat Cheese
I could go on and on with a list of amazing recipes!
Baked Chicken Cutlets Ingredients
- Chicken Cutlets – thinly sliced chicken breast
- Panko Bread Crumbs – regular of gluten free
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh Thyme Leaves – or dried thyme
- Light Mayonnaise – low fat or paleo
- Dijon Mustard
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Breaded Chicken
- Start off by checking that your oven has a rack on the lowest position. Then preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Set out two baking sheets and line them with aluminum foil. Then spray them generously with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pull out two medium bowls. In one bowl you will mix the wet ingredients – mayo, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In the other bowl mix together the dry ingredients – panko, parmesan cheese and thyme.
- Now it’s time to coat the chicken cutlets. Start off with a coating of the mayo “glue” mixture. Then one at a time, cover the cutlet with the panko mixture by pressing it on each side to coat. Then place the coated cutlets on the baking sheets you prepared.
- Place the baking sheet on the lowest rack in the oven and bake them for about 15 minute. When you bake the cutlets on the lowest part of the oven it helps to crisp up the breading, especially the bottoms of the cutlets.
- If the tops haven’t browned, you should move the baking sheet to a higher rack and turn on the broiler for 1 minute. Make sure to keep your eyes on them so that they don’t burn! Serve warm.
Get The Full (Printable) Recipe Below For How To Make Baked Breaded Chicken Cutlets + VIDEO. Enjoy!
Why Chicken Cutlets?
I like to prepare baked chicken cutlets instead of whole chicken breasts for two reasons:
- They cook faster.
- Cutlets offer automatic portion control.
One cutlet is essentially half (or sometimes one-third) of a large chicken breast, so they satisfy a craving and keep the calories on the down-low.
Also, try using this healthy fried chicken recipe in lettuce wraps!
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to use chicken cutlets?
No, but… Chicken cutlets are easier to bake because they bake more evenly. Plus, they don’t take as much time to bake them. However, you can use chicken breasts as well, but make sure to increase the baking time to 25 minutes.
Is this baked chicken recipe a good make-ahead meal?
The chicken will keep its crunch for several hours, but the crust will soften over time due to the moist chicken inside.
To reheat the chicken and crisp up the crust, place the leftover chicken in a 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes.
Other Healthy Recipes
- Zoodles (Zucchini Noodles) Recipe
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Recipe
- Sauteed Yellow Squash with Blistered Tomatoes Recipe
- Crockpot Chickpea Curry Recipe
- Red Posole with Pork (Pozole Rojo) Recipe
- Ahi Poke Bowl Recipe
- Easy Korean Bibimbap Recipe
Crispy Baked Chicken Cutlets
- Move one oven rack to a low position. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line and baking sheet with foil. Spray the foil liberally with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Set out two medium bowls. In one bowl, mix the mayo, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In the other bowl, mix the panko, parmesan cheese and thyme.
- Place the chicken cutlets in the mayo mixture and toss to coat. Then one at a time, press each cutlet into the panko mixture on both sides to coat. Lay on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the lower part of the oven for 15 minutes. (Cooking low in the oven helps the bottoms to crisp up.)
- If the tops haven’t browned, move the baking sheet to a higher rack and turn on the broiler on for 1 minute. Watch to make sure they don’t burn. Serve warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!