Southern Coleslaw Recipe (with Best Homemade Dressing)
The Best Southern Coleslaw Recipe – Deliciously cold and crunchy homemade slaw with creamy dressing is the perfect side for any spring or summer gathering!
Why We Love This Recipe
Coleslaw is a popular cold side dish that can be made with many unique variations, as seen in our Caribbean Coleslaw and Buffalo Blue Cheese Coleslaw. Although we love these other dazzling slaw recipes, it’s about time we share our most classic southern version!
Crunchy and cold traditional cole slaw with mayo dressing is a delicious barbecue side dish and topping for burgers and sandwiches. It’s creamy, tangy-sweet, and made with just the right blend of cabbage and carrots!
This easy homemade Southern Coleslaw recipe is perfect for spring and summer parties. A batch is a breeze to whip up in only 15 minutes, and is even a great make-ahead dish! Slice and stir everything together in the late morning or afternoon, stick it in the fridge, and serve perfectly chilled later in the day. That’s it!
Ingredients You Need
- Green cabbage – shredded
- Red cabbage – shredded
- Carrots – shredded
- Mayonnaise – use light if you prefer
- Lemon juice – fresh, not bottled
- Rice vinegar – or apple cider vinegar
- Granulated sugar – I don’t recommend using alternative sweeteners
- Salt and pepper – just a pinch
- Celery seeds and onion powder – the secret spices to really make this creamy coleslaw pop
Pro Tip: It doesn’t take a big cabbage to create 5-7 cups of shredded cabbage. Buy small ones, 1-2 pounds or less.
- Want less color? I have learned people are quite particular about the color of their coleslaw. I like lots of color, but if this blend is too colorful for you, use 7 cups green cabbage, ½ cup red cabbage, and ½ cup carrots.
- Use pre-shredded coleslaw mix. Don’t want to mess with shredded cabbage? Use two 14-ounce bags of cabbage and carrot cole slaw mix.
How to Make Classic Southern Coleslaw
First, shred the green and red cabbage. I find the best way to do this is to use a mandolin slicer on a fine setting. (Use the safety guard to protect your fingers!) You can also do it carefully with a large chef’s knife. Then shred the carrots using a box grater.
Add the shredded green cabbage to the bowl.
Add the shredded red cabbage.
Then add the shredded carrots.
In a separate bowl or measuring pitcher, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, rice vinegar, and sugar.
Get the Complete (Printable) Southern Coleslaw Dressing Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Then add the spices: Salt, black pepper, celery seeds, and onion powder.
Mix until smooth.
Pour the dressing over the coleslaw mix. Toss well to fully coat.
Then cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Homemade cole slaw is a must-have southern side dish at picnics, potlucks, barbecues, or any summer meal!
Cool and creamy coleslaw is the perfect side to enjoy with fried chicken and fried fish. Or pair with grilled favorites like salmon, barbecue chicken, hamburgers, and hot dogs.
It even makes a great topping! From burgers and dogs, to pork sandwiches and tacos, pile a generous portion of this crunchy chilled slaw salad on whatever mains you like!
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you thicken runny coleslaw?
First, be sure that washed cabbage and carrots have been thoroughly dried before shredding. This coleslaw dressing recipe is fine-tuned to make a delightfully creamy and non-runny dressing. So if the proportions and steps are followed everything should be great! Also, keep in mind that the dressing will thicken a good bit once the cole slaw chills for at least 30 minutes.
Can you make this southern coleslaw dressing recipe with no mayo?
Mayonnaise can be substituted with sour cream or plain greek yogurt. Note that this will change the flavor slightly for a tangier taste – but your slaw will still be delish!
How far in advance can I make coleslaw?
Homemade coleslaw is great to make ahead a few hours before serving, or even the day before. But I wouldn’t prepare it too far in advance… The cabbage and carrots will become a bit soft after sitting in the fridge for several days, so it’s best to enjoy it within 36 hours of preparation.
Can you double the recipe?
Absolutely! As-is this recipe yields approximately 8 servings. Easily double the ingredients for a larger batch to feed a party.
Looking for More Traditional Southern Side Dishes?
- The Best Potato Salad Recipe
- Perfect Southern Collard Greens
- Best Instant Pot Baked Beans
- Crock Pot Creamed Corn
- The Best Macaroni Salad
Southern Coleslaw Recipe (Best Homemade Dressing)
- 5 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or ACV
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Shred the green and red cabbage. I find the best way to do this is to use a mandolin slicer on a fine setting. (Use the safety guard to protect your fingers!) You can also do it carefully with a large chef’s knife. Then shred the carrots using a box grater.
- Set out a large mixing bowl. Add both kinds of shredded cabbage and the carrots. Toss well.
- In a separate bowl or measuring pitcher, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, rice vinegar, sugar, salt, black pepper, celery seeds, and onion powder. Mix until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the coleslaw mix. Toss well to fully coat. Then cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Great recipe – I made it for a bbq we went to last week, everyone love it!
I made this to go with a pulled pork sandwich I was making and this coleslaw made it at least 3x better.
I think this may be the best coleslaw ever!! Love the homemade dressing. It adds so much flavor & is delicious!! Super easy to make!
i’m not usually one for slaw, but this recipe is so great and the homemade dressing makes this so great!