Famous Corn Pudding Recipe
Famous Corn Pudding – This flavorful and tender corn pudding recipe is from one of Asheville’s most beloved restaurants! Easily make it at home and enjoy as the perfect side dish at barbecues and potlucks.
Famous Corn Pudding
12 Bones Smokehouse is an undeniable Asheville, North Carolina icon, serving up sumptuous ribs, pulled pork, chicken, turkey, brisket and a slew of southern sides, like tangy collard greens, and this Famous Corn Pudding recipe.
This seemingly humble eatery has received national awards and praises from high caliber sources including: Southern Living Magazine, Good Morning American, The New York Times, and numerous national BBQ competitions.
Yet best of all, 12 Bones makes the most amazing corn pudding recipe I’ve ever tasted.
The Best Corn Pudding Recipe
The owners guard their recipes with great care. Yet, I’m happy to tell you they’ve shared their “Damn Good Corn Pudding” recipe with us, to share with you… And just in time for barbecue and picnic season!
12 Bones’ Famous “Damn Good” Corn Pudding Recipe is an amalgamation of traditional cornbread dressing and a custard-like corn pudding. It’s tender, rich, and melts in your mouth, with just a touch of heat from poblano peppers. It is a true southern’s dream side dish.
I will admit, while in the pan the top is not much to look at. Yet scoop into its terrifically dense folds and all of the incredible, slightly sweet and spicy flavors are suddenly revealed.
What Ingredients You Need
There are no “secret ingredients” in this favorite side dish. Just whole, simple foods perfectly combined to create a sweet, creamy, zesty corn pudding that’s soft and moist on the inside and slightly crispy on top.
Here’s all you need:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Red pepper flakes
- Melted butter
- Heavy cream
- Canned cream corn
- Poblano peppers
- Fresh or frozen corn
The poblano pepper adds a hint of spicy flavor that’s not too overpowering. And I love the combination of canned cream corn and fresh corn for great bite and sweetness.
Frozen corn works just as well as fresh, just be sure to defrost and gently towel dry the corn before using.
How to Make Famous Corn Pudding
It is extremely easy and quick to assemble this tasty side dish. You can prepare it in one large baking dish to serve as a casserole, or separate and bake in two smaller pans.
Here are the steps for making the best Corn Pudding:
- Mix together all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl, and set aside.
- In an electric mixer, combine eggs, butter, heavy cream, and creamed corn.
- Add seeded and diced poblano peppers. Then, slowly add the flour mixture until just combined. Be careful to not over mix!
- Pour into a greased pan, and tent with aluminum foil.
- Bake in a 350 degree F preheated oven for 1 hour, remove the foil, and continue baking for another few minutes until the crust is golden brown.
Thanks again to 12 Bones Smokehouse for sharing the “Damn Good Corn Pudding” love!
Can Corn Pudding Be Made Ahead?
Absolutely – this Famous Corn Pudding recipe is great for making ahead of time.
Allow it to cool completely before covering tightly and storing in the fridge for 3-4 days, or keep it in the freezer for up to 1 month.
You can serve corn pudding hot or cold, whatever you choose!
How Can I Make this a Gluten-Free Recipe?
While I haven’t personally tried any alternatives to all-purpose flour, I imagine a good gluten-free flour mix would work very well for making corn pudding.
Give your favorite a try and let us know in the comments how it goes!
What Main Dishes Go Well with Corn Pudding?
Because this recipe originated from 12 Bones Smokehouse, known for their amazing barbecue, we of course have to recommend serving this homemade version of Famous Corn Pudding with our fall-off-the-bone Coffee Brushed Barbecue Ribs or these savory Crock Pot Brisket Sandwiches.
Looking for More Delicious Side Dishes?
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes (Au Gratin)
- The Best Macaroni Salad Recipe
- Oven Roasted Broccoli
- The Best Creamed Spinach
- Crock Pot Creamed Corn
- Garlic Butter Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
Famous Corn Pudding Recipe
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking powder + 1 teaspoon
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 6 large eggs
- 1 stick melted butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 14 ounces creamed corn, canned
- 2 fresh poblano peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 1/2 cups corn, fresh or frozen
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Pour the eggs, butter, cream and creamed corn in an electric mixer.
- Mix well and add the poblanos and corn. Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until just combined. It should resemble cake batter.
- Grease a large 11x15-inch rimmed baking dish. (You could use two smaller dishes.) Pour the pudding mixture into the pan and place it in the oven. Lightly tent the pan with foil.
- Bake for 1 hour, until the center is just set. (30-40 minutes for smaller pans) You may want to take the foil off the last 10-15 minutes so the top will be golden.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!