Crock Pot Brisket Sandwich Recipe
Crock Pot Brisket Sandwich Recipe (Texas BBQ Beef): We are CRAZY over this Slow Cooker Chopped Brisket Recipe. It’s tender, smoky, and spicy-sweet.
Crock Pot Brisket?
I realize the words Crock Pot + Brisket may seem shocking, especially if you live in Texas.
After all, all Texans know the only way to make a good brisket is to dry rub it, and smoke it overnight in a pit trailer… Right?
The problem is, most people don’t own pit trailers, in-ground smoking pits, or even electric smokers at home.
Yet I’m here to tell you, you can make a killer brisket for Texas-style brisket sandwiches without a smoker. You can even do it in a slow cooker, in your tiny city apartment.
You just need to know a few tricks!
“Spicy Chop” Brisket Sandwiches
When I was a little girl, my dad would often take me with him when he ran to the grocery store for my mom.
There was a little run-down IGA market we would visit, a couple of blocks from our neighborhood. Outside the IGA, right by the front door, stood a rickety wooden shack selling smoked Texas barbecue. You could smell it a block away from the parking lot.
It’s a little-known fact that some of the best barbecue in the world is found in Oklahoma, where I grew up. After all, it’s a state wedged directly in between Texas dry-rub country and Kansas City sticky-sweet territory.
Bring these two styles of barbecue together, and you have a thing of beauty!
But I digress… Those Saturday morning shopping trips with dad are where I learned to love “Spicy Chop”.
For barbecue novices, chopped beef brisket swimming in spicy barbecue sauce is often called Spicy Chop, at least in the Oklahoma/Texas region of the United States.
Texas Chopped BBQ Beef is ultra-tender and finely chopped into small pieces. You never shred it; it must be chopped!
Spicy Chop can be served on a bbq platter with southern sides, but is most often served on sandwich rolls with dill pickles.
It’s like nothing you’ve ever tasted.
Hot, smoky, sticky, slightly sweet, fatty in a good way, dripping with sauce, melt-in-your-mouth, too-wet-for-the-bun-so-you-better-eat-fast awesomeness.
If you’ve never had a Texas-style chopped brisket sandwich… It’s time.
Slow Cooker Brisket Recipe Tips
The keys to making an amazing Texas brisket in the slow cooker, are to:
- Rub it down with spices (a dry rub) with a strong smoky essence.
- Slow cook the brisket for a long long time… Until it’s shreddable.
For the spice blend, I like to use smoked paprika, because it has a fabulous smoky-sweet flavor.
However, if you can’t find smoked paprika, you can use a combination of sweet paprika and liquid smoke.
As for the long time, this is a true “all day” crockpot recipe. You really can’t over-cook it. The longer it cooks, the more tender it becomes.
Crock Pot Brisket Recipe Ingredients
These Texas-Style Crock Pot Brisket Sandwiches are a bucket-list must-make meal. They are perfect for Super Bowl parties, weekend game nights, or any sort of casual get-together!
Here’s what you’ll need…
- Beef Brisket – If you get a piece with a large slab of fat on it, you can trim off some of the fat, but don’t remove it all!
- Brown Sugar
- Smoked Paprika – Or use sweet paprika + liquid smoke
- Ground Cumin
- Cayenne Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Black Pepper
- Spicy BBQ Sauce – Look for a brand made in Texas!
- Sandwich Rolls – Hamburger buns, brioche buns, or onion rolls are good choices.
- Dill pickles
How To Make Crock Pot Brisket Sandwiches
- Dry Rub the Brisket. In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar and all spices together. Rub the dry rub over the entire surface of the brisket.
- Slow Cook All Day. Set out a large crockpot. Place the brisket in the slow cooker and set on high for 6-7 hours, or on low for 11-13 hours.
- Chop Chop! Once the brisket is fork-tender, place it on a cutting board and slice it into thin strips. Then chop the brisket into fine pieces.
- Get Saucy. Move the chopped beef brisket back into the slow cooker. Add the spicy bbq sauce to the slow cooker, stir and cover.
- Simmer a Little Longer. Slow cook the spicy chop until ready to serve. When you’re ready to eat, scoop the chopped beef onto buns, and top with dill pickles.
Get the Full (Printable) Crock Pot Chopped Brisket Sandwich Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Freeze Chopped Brisket?
Absolutely! Placed in an airtight container it can freeze for up to 6 months. Once the meat in the slow cooker fully cools off, then store in a gallon-sized freezer bag with the juices in the slow cooker to help keep the meat moist when reheating it. Just be sure to allow the beef to thaw at room temperature before reheating, so the pieces don’t turn to mush as you are warming it.
What About Make-Ahead And Meal Prep?
Chopped BBQ Beef Brisket is a great make-ahead meal! Actually, as with most saucy dishes, the flavor improves over time.
It will keep in the refrigerator for 7-10 days, and just needs to be rewarmed on the stovetop, in the microwave, or back in the crockpot.
Is Slow Cooker Brisket Gluten-Free And/Or Dairy-Free?
Yes! As long as the BBQ Sauce you buy is gluten-free and/or dairy-free the Spicy Chop is as well.
However, you must also buy gluten-free and/or dairy-free sandwich rolls, if making Chopped Beef Sandwiches.
Can You Make Texas Brisket In The Oven?
Yes! We actually have a separate recipe for that: Texas Oven Brisket Recipe
Love This Texas Chopped Beef? Try More Texas Inspired Recipes
- The Ultimate Texas Sheet Cake
- Texas King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- Spicy Texas Pete Vinaigrette
- Cowboy Caviar
- Spicy Cowboy Bacon Burgers
Crock Pot Brisket Sandwich Recipe
- 4-4.5 pounds beef brisket
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika (or sweet paprika + 2 tsp liquid smoke)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 18 ounces spicy bbq sauce (Texas-style)
- 8 sandwich rolls (I used brioche buns.)
- 1 cup sliced dill pickles
- In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar, paprika, salt, and all spices together. Rub the spice blend over the entire surface of the brisket.
- Set out a large 6-8 quart slow cooker. Place the brisket in the slow cooker, cover, and set on high for 6-7 hours, or on low for 11-13 hours.
- Once the brisket is fork-tender (shreddable) place it on a cutting board and slice it into thin strips, against the grain. Then chop the brisket strips into fine pieces.
- Move the chopped beef brisket back into the slow cooker. Add the spicy bbq sauce to the slow cooker, and stir the chopped beef, juices, and bbq sauce together.
- Cover and slow cook until ready to serve. *Give it at least 30 minutes, but the longer the beef cooks in the sauce the better.
- When ready to serve, scoop the chopped beef onto the buns and top with pickles.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Pingback: 20 Delicious Beef Brisket Recipes Nobody Will Resist - Whimsy & Spice
Pingback: 25 Famous Texas Foods - Insanely Good
Pingback: 30 Ground Beef Crock Pot Recipes
Pingback: 45 Best Sandwich Ideas (+ Easy Recipes) - IzzyCooking
Pingback: Sliced vs Chopped Brisket [Which One is Suitable for You?]
Like I promised, I made your recipe, Sommer. It turned out fabulous. I never dreamed I could do brisket in a crockpot. I also purchased the spicy BBQ sauce through the Amazon link in the recipe. Very, very good. The whole family loved it.
You win! Dezi
I am getting the brisket today. Making tomorrow. Here is my question.
I read your post on this brisket. I gotta ask. Since you are from Oklahoma
and I am from Oklahoma, what are the greatest BBQ places that you alluded
to in this piece? You did not mention and I understand why, but as someone who is always searching for the best BBQ, I’d like to know what you remember as being really good here. Thank you a ton. I will rate this recipe tomorrow
after I have cooked it.
You are sooo right about the notion that ……….can good BBQ come from a slow cooker?
Based on what you said, I am going to try this tomorrow. Dezi
Quick question….. no liquid in the crock pot?? Broth, beer, something?? If not, do we spray down slow cooker insert with nonstick spray?
Thanks so much ~ can’t wait to try. Although my husband and son will probably devour it all and my daughter and I will be left with the pickles!!
The brisket will quickly start releasing juices, so there’s no need for extra liquid or greasing. Promise! :)
Pingback: 23 Super Bowl Instant Pot Recipes To Try Out On Sunday | kruakhunyahashland
It was amazing! I did the high for 6.5 hours and it shredded beautifully. I also threw about 1.5 cups diced onion in instead of the onion powder for the full cooking time and they were a great addition. I will definitely make it again!
Love this recipe. Outstanding. We all loved it
So good. Honestly don’t change a thing! I live in Texas and we eat chopped beef sandwiches often…this is a winner recipe!
This recipe turned out to be amazing. And the chef is correct, you cannot overcook it. We cooked ours for almost 24 hours and received rave reviews from my family. Like a Thanksgiving dinner, the leftovers or even better!
I picked up a large brisket from Costco and cut it in half. I’ll be using this recipe again on the other half in the future.
There are all kinds of metrics to measure how good a recipe is… My metric? I gained 2 pounds… Enough said.
This was wonderful! I followed recipe as written except used Sweet Baby Rays Sweet and Spicy BBQ Sauce and used a 2.5 lb brisket following the 5 serving measurements. I cooked it on low for 12 hours which was perfect. I also served it on kaiser rolls with coleslaw on mine. My 12 year old grandson absolutely loved it and said the recipe was a keeper! Will definitely be making again. Thanks
This was the perfect way to cook brisket as an alternative to a smoker! Loved it!
I love any good slow cooker meals, and this one is a must try!
This looks amazing!!
My boys devoured this! We will make this again for sure. I love how simple it is to make.