We’re sharing The Best Creamed Spinach Recipe we’ve ever made! A wonderful green side dish for the holidays.
These two words tend to have a strong impact on most people. Either a cringe effect, or a sigh of cozy nostalgia.
Today I’m serving up The Best Cream Spinach Recipe, in my humble opinion. It’s easy to make, either quickly on the stovetop or simmering all day long in a crockpot.
This recipe offers a vibrant grassy note with nutty parmesan, garlic, and spice. The texture is rich and luxurious. This is the perfect way to eat spinach in the cooler months.
I think even the most resistant spinach eater might have a change of heart after tasting this creamed spinach!
The Best Creamed Spinach Recipe
When I’m in a hurry I make it on the stovetop in less than 20 minutes. However for big celebration meals, when I need all my burners for other dishes, I start The Best Creamed Spinach Recipe in the slow cooker and let it simmer all day.
It tastes amazing and rounds out comforting meals and holiday feasts, with mostly brown foods. If you are someone who can’t serve a meal without a green vegetable, The Best Creamed Spinach Recipe is a true winner.
Forget the green salad that will, no doubt, be overshadowed on the Thanksgiving and Christmas table. This year serve creamed spinach along with your sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, Thanksgiving stuffing and ham.
You’re family will thank you!
How To Make The Best Creamed Spinach Recipe
- Sauté – Take the time to cook the chopped onions and garlic in a skillet before adding them to the slow cooker. Although your onions will cook in a crockpot, they often end up with a rubbery texture and metallic taste.
- Dump – Scoop the onion mixture into the crock, along with the frozen spinach, milk, salt, nutmeg, white pepper and cayenne pepper. Cover and turn on low.
- Slow Cook – Slow cook The Best Creamed Spinach Recipe for 8-10 hours until the mixture simmers and thickens. Make sure to stir it every few hours so it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
Get the Full The Best Creamed Spinach Recipe Below
The Best Creamed Spinach Recipe Q&A
- Is The Best Creamed Spinach Recipe gluten free? No, but you can easily adjust it to be a gluten free recipe. Just substitute rice flour for the all-purpose flour.
- How do you make a dairy free version? Substitute thick canned coconut milk for the milk and vegan butter for the butter.
- Is The Best Creamed Spinach Recipe ketogenic? No. However, if you removed the flour altogether, if would be. Substitute cream for the milk to provide extra fat, and a rich luxurious texture.
- Can you make this recipe ahead of time? Yes, you can make creamed spinach up to three days before servings. Rewarm in a crockpot or on the stovetop.
- Can you freeze this recipe? Yes. Just make sure to thaw it slowly at room temperature before rewarming.
The Best Creamed Spinach Recipe
The Best Creamed Spinach Recipe - A fabulous Stovetop or Slow Cooker Creamed Spinach Recipe that pairs well with comforting holiday meals.
- 36 ounces frozen chopped spinach (four 9-ounce boxes)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 3/4 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Place the butter, chopped onions, and garlic in a skillet. Set over medium heat and sauté to soften, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in the flour and stir well to break up the clumps.
- Scoop the onion mixture into the crock of a large slow cooker. Add the frozen spinach, milk, salt, nutmeg, white pepper and cayenne pepper. Cover and turn on low.
Slow cook for 8-10 hours until the mixture simmers and thickens. Stir every few hours. When ready to serve, stir in the Parmesan cheese. Serve warm.
Stovetop Instructions: Cook the onions and garlic in butter as directed above, but do so in a large deep saute pan. Add additional ingredients to the saute pan (Step 2) and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, to thicken. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and enjoy!