The Best Creamed Spinach
These two words tend to have a strong impact on most people. Either a cringe effect or a sigh of cozy nostalgia.
Today I’m serving up The Best Cream Spinach Recipe, in my humble opinion. It’s easy to make, either quickly on the stovetop or simmering all day long in a crockpot.
This recipe offers a vibrant, grassy note with nutty Parmesan cheese, garlic, and spice. The texture is rich and luxurious. This is the perfect way to eat spinach in the cooler months.
I think even the most resistant spinach eater might have a change of heart after tasting this creamed spinach!
The Best Creamed Spinach Recipe
When I’m in a hurry I make it on the stovetop in less than 20 minutes. However for big celebration meals, when I need all my burners for other dishes, I start this easy Creamed Spinach Recipe in the slow cooker and let it simmer all day.
It tastes amazing and rounds out comforting meals and holiday feasts, which tend to feature mostly brown foods. If you are someone who can’t serve a meal without a green vegetable, this Slow Cooker Creamed Spinach recipe is a true winner.
Forget the green salad that will, no doubt, be overshadowed on the Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter table. This year serve creamed spinach along with your sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, Thanksgiving stuffing, and ham.
Your family will thank you!
What You Need to Make Creamed Spinach
- Frozen chopped spinach
- Sweet onion
- Garlic Cloves
- All-purpose flour
- Whole milk or Heavy Cream
- Ground nutmeg
- White pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese
That’s it! You’ll love the rich, creamy texture that these ingredients create, blended with fragrant garlic and spices that are perfect for the holidays.
How To Make Creamed Spinach in a Slow Cooker
1. Sauté – Take the time to cook the chopped onions and garlic in a large skillet before adding them to the slow cooker. Although your onions will cook in a crockpot, they often end up with a rubbery texture and metallic taste. Place the butter, chopped onions, and garlic in a skillet. Set over medium heat and sauté to soften for about 3-5 minutes. Stir in the flour and stir well to break up the clumps.
2. Dump – Scoop the onion mixture into the crock of a large slow cooker. Add the frozen spinach, milk, salt, nutmeg, white pepper, and cayenne pepper. Cover and turn on low.
3. Slow Cook – Slow cook for 8-10 hours until the mixture simmers and thickens. Make sure to stir it every few hours so it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
4. Serve. When ready to serve, stir in the Parmesan cheese. Serve warm.
Get the Full Recipe Below For The Creamed Spinach (From Frozen). Enjoy!
Stove Top Instructions
1. Cook the onions and garlic in butter as directed above, but do so in a large deep saute pan.
2. Add additional ingredients to the saute pan (Step 2) and bring to a simmer.
3. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, to thicken.
4. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is This Side Dish Recipe Gluten-Free?
No, but you can easily adjust this creamed spinach to be a gluten-free recipe. Just substitute rice flour for the all-purpose flour.
How do you make a Dairy-Free, Vegan version?
Swap thick canned coconut milk for the milk and vegan butter substitute for the butter.
Is This Easy Creamed Spinach Recipe Ketogenic?
No. However, if you removed the flour altogether, it would be. Substitute cream for the milk to provide extra fat and a rich luxurious texture.
Can I Use Fresh Spinach?
Yes, you can use fresh baby spinach leaves. Buy the same weight in ounces. Because fresh is not as compact as frozen spinach, you will just have to add it little by little mixing in more as it wilts down.
Can you make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make creamed spinach up to three days before servings. Rewarm in a crockpot or on the stovetop.
Can you freeze this recipe?
Yes. Just make sure to thaw it slowly at room temperature before rewarming. If wrapped well, it can freeze for up to 4 months.
LOOKING FOR MORE SAVORY SIDE DISHES?
- Southwest Cornbread Stuffing
- The Ultimate Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Beer
- Fluffy Southern Cat Head Biscuits
- Best Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- Oven Roasted Vegetables with Maple Glaze
- Honey Butter Roasted Carrots
- Crispy Kale and Quinoa Salad
See the printable recipe below for nutritional information, including calories, carbohydrates, protein, cholesterol, sodium, potassium, fiber, vitamin C, and calcium percentages.
The Best Creamed Spinach Recipe
- Place the butter, chopped onions, and garlic in a skillet. Set over medium heat and sauté to soften, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in the flour and stir well to break up the clumps.
- Scoop the onion mixture into the crock of a large slow cooker. Add the frozen spinach, milk, salt, nutmeg, white pepper and cayenne pepper. Cover and turn on low.
- Slow cook for 8-10 hours until the mixture simmers and thickens. Stir every few hours. When ready to serve, stir in the Parmesan cheese. Serve warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!