We’re sharing The Best Creamed Spinach Recipe we’ve ever made! A wonderful green side dish for the holidays.
These two words tend to have a strong impact on most people. Either a cringe effect, or a sigh of cozy nostalgia.
Today I’m serving up The Best Cream Spinach Recipe, in my humble opinion. It’s easy to make, either quickly on the stovetop or simmering all day long in a crockpot.
It offers a vibrant grassy note with nutty parmesan, garlic, and spice. The texture is rich and luxurious. This is the perfect way to eat spinach in the cooler months.
I think even the most resistant spinach eater might have a change of heart after tasting this creamed spinach!
When I’m in a hurry I make it on the stovetop in less than 20 minutes. However for big celebration meals, when I need all my burners for other dishes, I start The Best Creamed Spinach Recipe in the slow cooker and let it simmer all day.
It tastes amazing and rounds out comforting meals and holiday feasts. If you are someone who can’t serve a meal without a green vegetable, The Best Creamed Spinach Recipe is a true winner.
You’re family will thank you!
The Best Creamed Spinach Recipe
Yield: 12+ servings
Prep Time:5 minutes
Cook Time:8+ hours
The Best Creamed Spinach Recipe – A fabulous Slow Cooker or Stovetop Creamed Spinach Recipe that pairs well with comforting holiday meals.
- 4 – 9 ounce boxes frozen chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 3/4 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Place the butter, chopped onions, and garlic in a large skillet. Set over medium heat and saute to soften, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in the flour and stir well to break up the clumps.
- Scoop the onion mixture into the crock of a large slow cooker. Add the frozen spinach, milk, salt, nutmeg, white pepper and cayenne pepper. Cover and turn on low.
- Slow cook for 8-10 hours until the mixture simmers and thickens. Stir every few hours. When ready to serve, stir in the parmesan cheese. Serve warm.
Stovetop Instructions: Cook the onions and garlic in butter as directed above, but do so in a large deep saute pan. Add additional ingredients to the saute pan (Step 2) and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, to thicken. Stir in the parmesan cheese and enjoy!
Yield: 12+ servings, Serving Size: 12
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 168 Calories
- Total Fat: 11.9g
- Saturated Fat: 7.3g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- Sodium: 425mg
- Carbohydrates: 9.6g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Sugar: 3.9g
- Protein: 7.8g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!