Crispy Patatas Bravas (Mexican Potatoes)
Patatas Bravas (Papas Bravas) Recipe – Crispy Mexican Potatoes are deep fried to crunchy perfection and dusted in bold spices. They’re addictively delicious to enjoy as a side dish and snack with creamy or savory dipping sauces!
I mean, really – who doesn’t love fried potatoes?
Crunchy pieces of potato are a classic food found in some shape or form in nearly all corners of the world. From Greek Lemon-Garlic Roasted Potatoes to Harissa Baked French Fries and Gourmet Napa Style Potato Chips… There is basically no limit to the different flavor blends and cooking methods that can be used to create just the right crispy potato dish of your dreams.
Patatas Bravas, also known as Papas Bravas, is a classic Mexican recipe for fantastic crunchy cubes of potatoes. They are often served as a side dish or snack. However, they are so tasty you likely will want to eat them as a meal all by themselves!
Crispy Mexican Potatoes (Patatas Bravas)
This easy papas bravas recipe we’re sharing today is made with only 6 simple ingredients and takes less than 30 minutes to make!
Chunks of fresh potatoes are quickly deep fried until golden brown, then tossed in a blend of spices before being served hot and delicious. They are vegetarian, vegan, and even gluten free!
Papas Bravas are often served with Bravas Sauce, which is similar to creamy Ranchero sauce. However, here I’ve served them with aioli and cilantro. Try this quick and simple recipe any night of the week, and enjoy with whatever main dishes and savory sauces you like!
Ingredients You Need
- Russet potatoes – peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- Spices – salt, smoked paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper
- Olive oil – or your preferred neutral-tasting oil for frying
Classic Patatas (Papas) Bravas
First, set a large saucepot over medium-high heat. Attach a cooking thermometer to the side of the pot, then pour 3 inches of olive oil into the pot.
While the oil is heating, peel and chop the potatoes. Place the potato chunks in a colander and rinse well. Then set them out on paper towels to dry. Pat the tops so the potatoes are totally dry on all sides.
Pro Tip: If you have time, cut the potatoes ahead of time and soak them in an ice-water bath for 1-2 hours, so they are extra-extra crispy. Then make sure they are very dry before frying.
Now set a large bowl on the counter and line with paper towels.
In a small bowl, mix the salt, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and cayenne. Set aside.
When the oil reaches 300-325 degrees, gently lower a third of the potatoes into the oil, using a skimmer or slotted spoon.
Stir and fry the potatoes for 5-6 minutes, until golden.
Get the Complete (Printable) Crispy Patatas Bravas Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Remove one chunk and check that the potato is fork-tender in the center. Then remove all the potatoes with the slotted spoon.
Place the fried potatoes in the paper towel lined bowl. Immediately sprinkle one-third of the seasoning mix over the potatoes and toss to coat.
Repeat the frying and seasoning two more times, or until all the potatoes are cooked.
Serve warm as a side or snack with your favorite toppings and sauces.
Suggestions for What to Serve with Crispy Mexican Potatoes
Top the crunchy papas bravas with chopped cilantro and a generous swirl of aioli or preferred creamy sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
Fried Mexican potatoes are delish to enjoy as a side with enchiladas, enchilada skillets, tacos, quesadillas, or any of your favorite latin-inspired dishes! You can even serve them with breakfast foods, like breakfast casserole, stuffed poblano peppers, or Mexican breakfast salad.
Not only are these crunchy patatas bravas great as a side with tacos and burritos, they can be used as a taco and burrito filling! Load them into or onto tortillas with your favorite goodies for hearty vegetarian dishes. Keep things gluten free and low(ish) carb by using them in burrito bowls and taco salads.
Yes! You can easily air fry Mexican potatoes. Heat the air fryer to 325 degrees, spray the basket with your preferred oil, and cook the potatoes for 10-15 minutes depending on how crispy you like them. Give the basket a good shake halfway into cook time. Then transfer to the paper towel-lined bowl and immediately toss in the spices.
Like most fried foods, these crunchy potato chunks are best when eaten hot and fresh. However, they will keep well in the fridge for up to 4 days if stored in an airtight container. Reheat by baking in a 350 degree oven on a baking sheet for a few minutes, until warmed throughout.
Looking for More Delicious Side Dish Recipes?
- Grilled Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Chorizo and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- The Best Refried Beans Recipe
- Frijoles de la Olla
- Easy Spanish Rice Recipe
- Arroz Amarillo (Yellow Rice)
- Loaded Stuffed Jalapenos
Crispy Patatas Bravas (Mexican Potatoes)
- Set a large saucepot over medium-high heat. Attach a cooking thermometer to the side of the pot. Then pour 3 inches of olive oil into the pot.
- While the oil is heating, peel and chop the potatoes. Place the potato chunks in a colander and rinse well. Then set them out on paper towels to dry. Pat the tops so the potatoes are dry on all sides.
- Set a large bowl and the counter and line with paper towels. Then in a small bowl, mix the salt, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and cayenne.
- When the oil reaches 300-325 degrees, gently lower a third of the potatoes into the oil, using a skimmer or slotted spoon. Stir and fry for 5-6 minutes, until golden. Remove one chunk and check that the potato is fork-tender in the center. Then remove all the potatoes with the slotted spoon.
- Place the fried potatoes in the paper towel lined bowl. Sprinkle one-third of the seasoning mix over the potatoes and toss.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!