Mexican Breakfast Casserole
Mexican Breakfast Casserole – An easy make-ahead casserole recipe that’s perfect for weekends and potlucks! Loaded with spicy sausage, eggs, veggies, and cheese, you’ll love the zesty Mexican flavors in this gluten-free breakfast casserole.
Aren’t breakfast casseroles just the best?
They are perfect for enjoying during a relaxing weekend, or making ahead to heat and grab as quick weekday breakfasts. You can put a casserole together in a jiffy – even the night before – and most take only 30 minutes to bake.
Typically packed with eggs, vegetables, and cheese, there are nearly limitless combinations of ingredients you can use. I love including hearty meats, like sausage and bacon, and loading our family’s breakfast casseroles with fresh, bright veggies.
This Easy Make-Ahead Mexican Breakfast Casserole has some of our favorite zesty southwestern flavors, including chorizo and green chiles. Give this one a try with your family and you will see why we love it so much!
Easy Make-Ahead Mexican Breakfast Casserole Recipe
With slightly chewy and lightly crispy tortillas, lots of eggs, spicy sausage, a delicious blend of cheeses, fresh peppers and tangy Rotel, this gluten-free breakfast casserole seriously checks all of the boxes for big flavor in every single satisfying bite.
Not only is it a delicious casserole, it’s ridiculously easy to make, too! This simple Mexican-inspired breakfast bake can even be assembled the night before serving for an easy make-ahead meal. And, let me tell you, the leftovers are excellent for reheating.
I recommend putting ittogether Friday or Saturday night for a yummy weekend brunch with the family, or for bringing to a breakfast-themed potluck with friends. Just be sure to also set aside a piece or two (if you can!) for enjoying as a hassle-free morning breakfast to start your work week off right.
What Ingredients You Need
All of the ingredients in this Easy Make-Ahead Mexican Breakfast Casserole are gluten-free!
Here is everything that you need for a wonderfully simple and scrumptious southwestern breakfast bake:
- Mexican chorizo – spicy sausage that adds great heat and flavor
- Onion – white onion has the best texture and taste in this casserole, in my opinion
- Bell pepper – feel free to use whatever color peppers you prefer
- Tortilla chips – creates the perfect soft-on-the-inside and crispy-on-the-outside texture
- Eggs – essential for any good breakfast bake
- Rotel – canned diced tomatoes and green chiles, a classic ingredient in many Mexican-inspired dishes
- Milk – for silky, fluffy eggs
- Mexican blend cheese – typically a combination of cheddar and pepper jack cheeses
Optional Garnishes: Chopped scallion, pico de gallo, sour cream.
Why use chips and not tortillas? Corn tortilla chips are much heartier, and so adding them to the baking dish allows the eggs to settle between the chips rather than just being absorbed by the tortillas. They soften as they bake, yet are still crispy on top.
You can make this dish vegetarian-friendly by omitting the chorizo, or using your favorite plant-based meat substitute.
How to Make the Easiest Mexican Breakfast Casserole
Whip up the base for this casserole in just 10 minutes with our simple steps:
1 First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Set out a 9X13 inch baking dish, and set a large skillet on the stovetop.
2. Place the chorizo in the skillet, and turn the heat on medium-high. Brown the chorizo for a couple of minutes, and then mix in the diced onions and bell peppers. Sauté the chorizo and veggies another few minutes, until the onions are softened.
3. Meanwhile, place the tortilla chips in the baking dish, spreading them out in an even layer.
4. Then, whisk the eggs, Rotel, milk, and salt together in a mixing bowl.
5. Once the chorizo and veggies are cooked, spread them evenly over the tortilla chips. Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the meat mixture, and shake the dish a little to help the toppings work down between the chips.
6. Pour the egg mixture over the top, and shake the dish again so there is chorizo, veggies and cheese even further down in the dish.
Get the Complete (Printable) Easy Make-Ahead Mexican Breakfast Casserole Recipe Below. Enjoy!
7. Bake on the lowest rack for 25-30 minutes, until the tortilla chips are crispy and the cheese has melted.
Cut the Mexican Breakfast Casserole into squares and enjoy!
I love to put out toppings of freshly chopped green onions, cilantro, avocado, and dishes of sour cream and salsa when I serve this dish.
How to Prepare as a Make-Ahead Breakfast Casserole
You can completely assemble this Mexican Breakfast Casserole the night before baking. Simply cover and refrigerate until morning, and then bake for 30-35 minutes at 400 degrees F.
Leftovers of the baked casserole can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. While you can reheat in a microwave, the texture and flavor will be much better if you use the oven to get the tortillas nice and crispy again.
Looking for More Baked Breakfast Recipes?
- Fluffy Strata Recipe (Overnight Breakfast Casserole)
- Spinach Artichoke Egg Casserole
- Tiramisu Baked French Toast Casserole
- Greek Omelette Casserole
- Mexican Breakfast Casserole with Hash Brown Top
Mexican Breakfast Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Set out a 9X13 inch baking dish, and set a large skillet on the stovetop.
- Place the chorizo in the skillet. Turn the heat on medium-high and break the chorizo apart with a wooden spoon.
- Let the chorizo brown for 1-2 minutes. Then mix in the onions and bell peppers. Sauté the chorizo and veggies another 3-4 minutes, until the onions are softened.
- Meanwhile, place the tortilla chips in the baking dish. Spread them out in an even layer.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, Rotel, milk, and salt together.
- Once the chorizo and veggies are cooked, sprinkle them over the tortilla chips. Next sprinkle the shredded cheese over the meat mixture. Shake the dish a little to help the topping work down between the chips.
- Then pour the egg mixture over the top. Shake the dish again so there is chorizo, veggies and cheese further down in the dish.
- Bake on the lowest rack for 25-30 minutes. Then cut into squares and serve!
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!