The Best Huevos Rancheros Recipe
The Best Huevos Rancheros Recipe – Starts with the absolute Best Ranchero Sauce! Make the sauce first, then whip up amazing Huevos any time you like.
Huevos Rancheros Forever
Lt. Dan and I are Huevos Rancheros people.
Whenever we go out for breakfast, an easy daytime date now that the kids are back in school, one of us always orders Huevos.
Huevos Rancheros is not something we keep only for breakfast date mornings. We make it at home as well.
What Ingredients You Will Need
A classic Huevos Rancheros recipe includes:
- Ranchero sauce, which is a cooked “ranch-style” salsa
- Eggs, usually sunny side up
- Crispy fried tortillas, usually corn
- Black beans or refried beans
All other ingredients are optional add-ins.
For This Recipe You Will Need:
- The Best Ranchero Sauce Recipe – this recipe can be found at this link.
- VegetableI Oil
- Old El Paso Flour Tortillas
- Mexican Chorizo
- Black Beans
- Ripe Avocados – sliced
- Crumbled Queso Fresco
- Large Eggs
- Possible Add-Ons: cilantro, salsa verde, pico de gallo, sour cream
How To Make Huevos Rancheros
1 . The key to making The Best Huevos Rancheros Recipe, is to first make the absolute best ranchero sauce.
I make mine with a touch of liquid smoke for depth, and a splash of cream for silky texture. Then I puree it, so it’s smooth and luxurious.
The next two components are also of great importance.
2 . The eggs should be perfectly cooked to order. Sunny side up is the traditional choice, but I prefer my huevos as a fluffy scramble. I make them both ways, depending on who’s coming to breakfast.
3 . Next, choose good tortillas. If you love corn tortillas, go with Old El Paso Tostada Shells so you don’t have to fry them.
However, in today’s “The Best Huevos Rancheros Recipe” I’m going with flash-fried Old El Paso Flour Tortillas. They puff up, with soft bubbly areas and crispy edges.
4 . Top the puffy tortillas with beans, hot eggs, and plenty of Ranchero Sauce. Then sprinkle on cooked chorizo, queso fresco, fresh sliced avocado, and cilantro.
Sometimes we add a little Mexican crema or sour cream. Sometimes we add a little salsa verde or pico de gallo.
However, The Best Huevos Rancheros Recipe requires nothing more to be perfect. Salty, spicy, rich, and zesty, this ranchero recipe has it all!
Get the Full (Printable) Recipe For How To Make The Best Huevos Rancheros Below!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Reheat This Recipe?
This breakfast dish is best when it is freshly made, but you can still reheat it after a day or two, making sure that it is stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
What Other Toppings Can I Use?
Some other great options to add to this recipe are cilantro, salsa verde, pico de gallo, sour cream.
Do I Have To Use A Fried Egg?
No, you can use any type of egg that you like the most – I sometimes will do a scrambled egg on mine.
Other Great Breakfast Recipes
- Best French Toast Recipe (Pain Perdu)
- Best Avocado Toast with Egg
- Simple & Easy Waffle Recipe
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread with Lemon
- Sweet Potato Hash (Potatoes O’Brien Recipe)
- How To Make Easy Sausage Gravy
- Golden Pan-Fried Potato Cakes
- Easy Almond Flour Pancakes Recipe
- Fluffy Strata Recipe (Overnight Breakfast Casserole)
- Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast (Shit on a Shingle)
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Old El Paso. All opinions are my own.
The Best Huevos Rancheros Recipe
- Warm the ranchero sauce on the stovetop. Pour the beans in a small sauce pot. Warm over medium heat until simmering, then turn off the heat.
- Place the chorizo in a large nonstick skillet and set over medium-high heat. Break the chorizo apart with a wooden spoon, and brown for 5-10 minutes, until the chorizo starts to turn crispy. Pour the chorizo onto a plate.
- Wipe the skillet out with a paper towel, then add 2 tablespoons oil and set back over medium-high heat. One at a time, add the tortillas. Let them puff up for 3-5 seconds, flip and repeat. Then remove the tortillas, and set on paper towels to drain. Repeat until all the tortillas are puffy and golden.
- Using the same skillet, cook the eggs to order. Traditional Huevos Rancheros are made with sunny side up eggs, but I personally like scrambled eggs in this dish.
- To Serve: Place two tortillas each, on five plates. Top with warm black beans, eggs cooked to order, chorizo, ample ranchero sauce, sliced avocado, and queso fresco.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!