The Best Huevos Rancheros Recipe we’ve ever made!! You’ve got to try this recipe at home.
Lt. Dan and I are Huevos Rancheros people.
Whenever we go out for breakfast, an easy daytime date now that are kids are back in school, one of us always orders Huevos Rancheros.
The other person inevitably orders french toast or pancakes. Then we share the two breakfasts, one bold and savory, the other sweet and pillowy.
Huevos Rancheros is not something we keep only for breakfast date mornings. We make it at home as well.
A classic Huevos Rancheros recipe includes:
- Ranchero sauce, which is a cooked “ranch-style” salsa
- Eggs, usually sunny side up
- Crispy fried tortillas, usually corn
- Black beans or refried beans
All other ingredients are optional add-ins.
The key to making The Best Huevos Rancheros Recipe, is to first make the absolute best ranchero sauce.
I make mine with a touch of liquid smoke for depth, and a splash of cream for silky texture. Then I puree it, so it’s smooth and luxurious.
The next two components are also of great importance.
The eggs should be perfectly cooked to order. Sunny side up is the traditional choice, but I prefer my huevos as a fluffy scramble. I make them both ways, depending on who’s coming to breakfast.
Next, choose good tortillas. If you love corn tortillas, go with Old El Paso Tostada Shells so you don’t have to fry them.
However, in today’s “The Best Huevos Rancheros Recipe” I’m going with flash-fried Old El Paso Flour Tortillas. They puff up, with soft bubbly areas and crispy edges.
Top the puffy tortillas with beans, hot eggs, and plenty of Ranchero Sauce.
Then sprinkle on cooked chorizo, queso fresco, fresh sliced avocado, and cilantro.
Sometimes we add a little Mexican crema or sour cream. Sometimes we add a little salsa verde or pico de gallo.
However, The Best Huevos Rancheros Recipe requires nothing more to be perfect. Salty, spicy, rich, and zesty, this ranchero recipe has it all!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Old El Paso. All opinions are my own.
The Best Huevos Rancheros Recipe
Yield: 5 servings
Prep Time:5 minutes
Cook Time:20 minutes
The Best Huevos Rancheros Recipe, starts with the absolute best Ranchero Sauce! Make the sauce first, then whip up amazing Huevos Rancheros any time you like.
- Warm the ranchero sauce on the stovetop. Pour the beans in a small sauce pot. Warm over medium heat until simmering, then turn off the heat.
- Place the chorizo in a large nonstick skillet and set over medium-high heat. Break the chorizo apart with a wooden spoon, and brown for 5-10 minutes, until the chorizo starts to turn crispy. Pour the chorizo onto a plate.
- Wipe the skillet out with a paper towel, then add 2 tablespoons oil and set back over medium-high heat. One at a time, add the tortillas. Let them puff up for 3-5 seconds, flip and repeat. Then remove the tortillas, and set on paper towels to drain. Repeat until all the tortillas are puffy and golden.
- Using the same skillet, cook the eggs to order. Traditional Huevos Rancheros are made with sunny side up eggs, but I personally like scrambled eggs in this dish.
- To Serve: Place two tortillas each, on five plates. Top with warm black beans, eggs cooked to order, chorizo, ample ranchero sauce, sliced avocado, and queso fresco.
NOTE: If you prefer huevos with corn tortillas, make this with Old El Paso Tostada Shells.
Yield: 5 servings, Serving Size: 1/5th recipe
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 966 Calories
- Total Fat: 52g
- Saturated Fat: 14.6g
- Cholesterol: 410mg
- Sodium: 2634mg
- Carbohydrates: 86.9g
- Fiber: 13.7g
- Sugar: 9.3g
- Protein: 40.3g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!