Sweet Potato Hash Recipe (Potatoes O’Brien Recipe)
Sweet Potato Hash Browns (A.K.A. Potatoes O’Brien) – An easy recipe that features flavorful sweet potatoes cubed and oven-baked with savory prosciutto. Enjoy this hash for breakfast or as a hearty side dish!
The Best Sweet Potato Hash
Have you ever heard of Potatoes O’Brien? This classic American dish has been a longtime breakfast favorite since the early 1900s, and typically is made by pan-frying or roasting cubed potatoes with onions and peppers.
We’ve updated the recipe with a few tweaks to create this delicious, terrifically rustic, hearty Sweet Potato Hash. It features sweet potatoes, obviously, chopped and roasted with bell peppers, onions, salty prosciutto, and fresh jalapeno for an extra kick.
Our simple healthy hash recipe is easy to make and is a fabulous breakfast option to serve with eggs and your favorite breakfast meats. Or serve it as a zesty side dish at dinner with chicken, pork chops, or steaks. You can even use the hash as the base of vegetarian tacos or enchiladas.
Best of all? Only one sheet pan is needed to make this flavorful and super satisfying Sweet Potato Hash Browns recipe!
What Ingredients You Will Need
Our version of Potatoes O Brien uses simple, fresh ingredients with lots of flavor.
To make this recipe you need:
- Olive Oil – or favorite oil for roasting
- Sweet Potatoes – scrubbed and cubed
- Bell Pepper – any choice of color, seeded and chopped
- Onion – peeled and chopped
- Garlic – peeled and minced
- Jalapeno – seeded and sliced, for a great kick of spiciness
- Fresh Thyme – for a pop of earthy flavor
- Smoked Paprika – the smokiness really compliments the sweetness of the sweet potatoes
- Prosciutto – adds a great salty, meaty taste to the Sweet Potato breakfast hash
- Salt and Pepper – to taste
Feel free to leave out the prosciutto for a vegetarian and vegan-friendly Sweet Potato Hash Browns recipe.
You can also skip the jalapeno for a mild Potatoes O’Brien breakfast hash.
How to Make Sweet Potato Hash Browns A.K.A. Potatoes O’Brien
This Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash – or flavorful dinner side dish – takes less than an hour to make and only requires one pan.
Here’s how to make the easiest, tastiest Potatoes O’Brien recipe with sweet potatoes and veggies:
- Firstly, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and set out a large rimmed 13X18 inch sheet pan.
- Next, prepare the sweet potatoes. Peel and dice them into 1/3 inch cubes, and place the cubes on the baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil over the top, and toss to coat so that potatoes cook evenly and don’t brown.
- Then seed and chop the bell pepper and jalapeno. Chop the onion and mince the garlic. Add the chopped peppers, onions, and garlic to the baking sheet with the cubed sweet potatoes. Now add the thyme leaves, paprika, salt, and ground black pepper. Toss well, and spread the hash out evenly on the baking sheet.
4. Bake for 15 minutes. Then flip with a spatula, spread out again, and bake for another 15 minutes.
5. Flip the hash one more time. Then sprinkle the diced prosciutto over the top. Bake for several more minutes until the prosciutto is crispy.
6. Mix again, sprinkle with a bit more fresh chopped thyme, and serve the hash browns warm.
Get the Complete (Printable) Sweet Potato Hash Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Suggestions for How to Serve This Potato Hash
This classic hash made with sweet potatoes is perfect to enjoy as part of a hearty weekend breakfast. Serve it as the base for Eggs Benedict with poached eggs and hollandaise sauce. Or, on the side of your favorite egg dishes with bacon or sausage. Maybe even with a hearty helping of Simple Sausage Gravy?
You can eat it as-is, or top the hash with avocado, salsa, sour cream, shredded cheese, or other tasty condiments.
It’s also delicious as a dinner side dish, and pairs great with chicken, beef, pork, or vegetarian mains!
How do you love to eat hash browns? Let us know in the comments below!
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Store Leftovers?
Once the Sweet Potato Hash has cooled, transfer leftovers to an airtight container and store them in the fridge. The Potatoes O’Brien will keep well for 3-5 days.
To reheat, bake in a 350 degree preheated oven on a baking sheet for about 15-20 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking. You can also reheat the sweet potatoes in the microwave, although they will lose some of their tender texture.
What Can I Substitute For The Onion?
If you are not much of an onion fan, you can substitute it out for one of the following ingredients
Do I Need to Peel This Potato Skins?
You can make this recipe either way. If you are not a potato skin person, then you can definitely peel the sweet potatoes before cooking them. If you do not mind eating potato skins, then leave them on and enjoy the health benefits as well. The skin contains fiber, vitamin c & e, potassium, and iron.
Looking for More Easy Potato Recipes?
- Zesty Baked Hash Brown Recipe
- Corned Beef Hash Recipe with Horseradish Sauce
- Low Carb Chicken Chorizo “No Potato” Hash
- (Shredded) Sweet Potato Hash Browns
- Mexican Breakfast Casserole with Hash Brown Top
- Roasted Greek Lemon Potatoes Recipe
- Best Easy Southern Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- Garlic Butter Scalloped Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Ultimate Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Sweet Potato Hash (Potatoes O’Brien Recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Set out a large rimmed 13X18 inch sheet pan.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and dice into 1/3 inch cubes. Place the cubes on the baking sheet, drizzle olive oil over the top, and toss to coat so the sweet potatoes don’t brown.
- Seed and chop the bell pepper and jalapeno. Then chop the onion and mince the garlic.
- Add the chopped peppers, onions, and garlic to the sweet potatoes. Then add the thyme leaves, paprika, 1 ¼ teaspoons salt, and ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper. Toss well, and spread the hash out evenly on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Then flip with a spatula and spread out again. Bake another 15 minutes.
- Flip the hash one more time. Then sprinkle the diced prosciutto over the top. Bake for another 10-15 minutes until the prosciutto is crispy. Mix and serve warm.