Zesty Baked Hash Brown Recipe
Hash browns are one of my favorite go-to breakfast items for last-minute, wonderfully lazy weekend morning breakfast plans.
In fact, you almost will never find my freezer without at least one family-sized bag of shredded potatoes for those spontaneous golden crispy hash brown moments.
For years I made hash browns in a large cast iron skillet, standing over the range with my flat wooden spoon in hand. However, after I discovered I preferred making bacon in the oven, I decided to give cheesy, buttery oven hash browns a try.
From the very first time I tried this method, my hash browns came out of the oven perfectly crispy, just how I like them. I was sold!
The Best Baked Hash Browns
Nowadays, my Zesty Baked Hash Brown Recipe is the only way I make hash browns.
No more sweating over the stove. No more babysitting my potatoes. Plus, I can kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, and bake my bacon at the same time!
This cheesy, ultra thin and crispy hash brown recipe makes a perfect breakfast item and dinnertime side dish. However, I recommend that you consider cutting the hash browns into squares as a platform for toppings like chorizo, diced tomatoes, pesto or sour cream.
Think of them like delicious, edible plates!
What Ingredients You Need to Make Cheesy, Zesty Baked Hash Browns
This easy recipe only requires 8 simple ingredients:
- Frozen shredded hash browns – thawed
- Land O’ Lakes Unsalted Butter* – melted
- Cheddar cheese – shredded
- Ground cumin
- Dried thyme
- Garlic powder
But, of course, feel free to add in or swap out any spices you like to create your most crave-able flavors.
How To Make Crispy Hash Browns in the Oven
- First, in a large bowl combine the thawed shredded freezer potatoes with some of the shredded cheese, a couple beaten eggs, and some herbs and spices for that zesty zip.
- Then, pour one melted stick of rich, creamy Land O Lakes® Unsalted Butter over the top of the potatoes and toss.
- Lastly, pour the potato mixture out onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, and spread evenly.
- Bake to golden perfection.
The silky, melted butter coats the shredded potatoes, giving them amazingly rich flavor. Plus, the butter is what provides the lovely, golden tone and crispy finish.
Hash browns just wouldn’t be the same without that bit of crunch!
Note: I use a large “half sheet” pan (around 13 X 17 inches) for thin, crispy hash browns that you can cut into squares and pick up with your fingers.
However, if you’d like them to be just a little more thick and tender, you can pour the same recipe out onto a 10 X 15 inch jelly roll pan and bake.
Get the Complete (Printable!) Zesty Baked Hash Brown Recipe Below. Enjoy!
My family loves this Zesty Baked Hash Brown Recipe with chopped fresh chives sprinkled over the top, and served alongside fluffy scrambled eggs and crispy bacon.
Personally, I love them with smoked salmon and creme fraiche on top.
However you prefer your shredded potatoes, I guarantee you will love just how easy and delicious this oven baked hash browns recipe is!
Do Baked Hash Browns Keep Well?
Yes! Our hash brown recipe is terrific for breakfast meal preps, and can be made in a large batch to store in the fridge or freeze for later.
Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days, or wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and then sealed in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
I recommend reheating these hash browns in the oven or lightly frying in oil to make nice and crispy again; microwave heating will make them soggy.
Are These Hash Browns Gluten Free?
Indeed, this hash brown recipe is gluten free.
If you’re looking for a yummy paleo breakfast dish, try our Sweet Potato Hash Browns!
Looking for More Easy Breakfast and Brunch Recipes?
- Fluffy Strata Recipe (Overnight Breakfast Casserole)
- Better Than Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls
- Cheesy Guacamole Mini Quiche Recipe
- Greek Omelette Casserole
- Spinach Artichoke Egg Casserole
- Mexican Breakfast Casserole with Hash Brown Top
Zesty Baked Hash Brown Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a large rimmed half sheet baking pan with parchment paper.
- Pour the thawed shredded hash brown potatoes in a large bowl. Whisk the eggs in a small bowl then pour over the potatoes. Add the shredded cheese, salt, cumin, thyme and garlic powder. Toss to coat. Then pour the melted butter over the top and toss to coat again.
- Spread the potato mixture evenly over the baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for approximately 40 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
*Disclosure: A Spicy Perspective has partnered with Land O’Lakes for an exclusive endorsement of Land O Lakes® Butter for their Kitchen Conversations blogger program. This blog post is sponsored by Land O’Lakes.