Ultra Low Carb Cloud Bread Pizza, a gluten free and ketogenic diet friendly dinner the whole family will love!
Looking for low carb comfort food? Aren’t we all.
Pizza is one of those foods my family simply can’t live without. We often eat light lean meals all week long, then fall off the wagon on Friday night, with one aromatic waft of a hot cheesy pizza.
In fact, I believe my family would eat pizza every night of the week, if I would let them.
Balance is a good thing. If I can get my kids to eat salads several nights a week, and leave pizza for the weekends, I can live with that.
Yet for those stressful weeks, when we need our favorite comfort food a bit more than normal, there’s always Low Carb Cloud Bread Pizza.
Cloud Bread… Have you tried it yet?
It’s a gluten free, ultra low carb bread substitute for low carb dieters. It’s fluffy, flexible, and is great for quick sandwiches.
Yet, did you know you can use Cloud Bread “dough” for pizza as well?
When making cloud bread, separate egg whites from the yolks. Whip the whites into a firm meringue. Then beat the egg yolks with low fat cream cheese and herbs.
Next fold the meringue and creamy yolk mixture together into a foamy batter. Beating the eggs separately, before mixing, is imperative for reaching the right consistency.
Smooth out the fluffy egg-based batter into a round pizza crust and bake. Finally top the Low Carb Cloud Bread Pizza Crust with low carb toppings.
Bake again to golden perfection.
I like to use canned fire-roasted crushed tomatoes as pizza sauce because there are chunky and usually contains no added sugar.
Slice a mozzarella ball and arrange the slices over the crust. Top with chopped kale and prosciutto. The kale crisps in the oven offering a lovely texture (and some added vitemins and minerals) while the prosciutto provides a touch of decadence.
It’s best to bake the Low Carb Cloud Bread Pizza on the lowest oven rack to help it firm up enough on the bottom to hold the toppings.
Let the pizza bake long enough for the cheese to melt and the crust to turn a lovely shade of dark gold.
Finish the pizza off with a sprinkling of fresh basil, and you’ve got a low carb pizza that can hold its own against any pizza delivery service!
Check out our video tutorial!
Low Carb Cloud Bread Pizza
Yield: 8 slices
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:30 minutes
Ultra Low Carb Cloud Bread Pizza Recipe – Fluffy cloud bread pizza crust piled with mozzarella, prosciutto, and greens is ketogenic diet friendly and utterly delicious!
For the Cloud Bread Pizza Crust:
- 4 large eggs, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 ounces low fat cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 8 ounce mozzarella ball, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped kale
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. If you have a convection oven, set on convect. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Separate the egg whites and egg yolks. Place the whites in a stand mixer with a whip attachment. Add the cream of tartar and beat on high until the froth turns into firm meringue peaks. Move the meringue to a separate bowl.
- Place the cream cheese in the empty stand mixing bowl. Beat on high to soften. Then add the egg yolks one at a time to incorporate. Scrape the bowl and beat until the mixture is completely smooth. Then beat in the Italian seasoning, salt, and garlic powder.
- Gently fold the firm meringue into the yolk mixture. Try to deflate the meringue as little as possible, so the mixture is still firm and foamy. Spoon the mixture onto the baking sheet and spread into an even 12 inch circle.
- Bake on convect for 15 minutes, or in a conventional oven for 20 minutes. The crust should be golden on the outside and firm. The center should not jiggle when shaken.
- Set the oven temperature to 400 degrees F. Spread the crushed tomatoes over the top of the crust, leaving a 1/2 inch rim around the edges. Arrange the mozzarella slices over the tomato sauce. Then sprinkle with chopped kale. Finally tear the sliced prosciutto into smaller pieces and arrange them on the pizza.
- Bake on the lower rack for 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the crust is a dark golden-brown. Sprinkle the top with fresh basil leaves before cutting and serving.
NOTES: Make sure no egg yolk breaks into the whites. If any fat is incorporated, the meringue will not whip.
Yield: 8 slices , Serving Size: 2 slices
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 335 Calories
- Total Fat: 19.5g
- Saturated Fat: 8.5g
- Cholesterol: 220mg
- Sodium: 976mg
- Carbohydrates: 7.6g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Sugar: 3.6g
- Protein: 72.2g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!