Best Steak Seasoning Recipe
Why We Love This Best Steak Seasoning Recipe
Over the years we have used different steak seasonings with an endless list of herbs, marinades, dry rub blends, and seasoning mixes. Some store-bought and some homemade.
Although there is a time and place for beef marinades, I firmly believe that dry steak rubs are best for providing flavor and that perfect steakhouse taste and texture.
Our Best Steak Seasoning Recipe is a family favorite, with bold spicy notes, and a touch of tangy sweetness. It’s the perfect blend of salt, sweetness, robust herbs, smokey essence, spicy heat, and acidity.
Ingredients You Need
- Sea salt – or any coarse salt
- Brown sugar – helps to balance the flavors
- Smoked paprika – for a slightly smoky flavor, use smoked paprika
- Ground ancho chile pepper – or regular chili powder as a substitute
- Dried thyme – for an herby addition, you can add a little rosemary too if you’d like
- Black pepper – pepper and steak always go well together
- Garlic powder & Onion powder – both provide a savory depth of flabor
- Ground mustard – for a hint of mustard
- Ground cumin – slightly spicy and floral
Together these pantry staples make the most amazing steak rub you will ever try!
How To Use Steak Seasoning
If you rub the spices into the surface of the meat a few minutes before grilling, the seasoning has time to sneakily work its magic. This steak seasoning is the best because it gently infuses the interior of the beef with a mild level of flavor, so the rich beefy essence shines through. Plus, the exterior is left with a bold crusty texture that provides the perfect contrast to the luxurious center.
- Mix all of the herb and spice ingredients in a small bowl.
- Either use the seasoning immediately or store in a small airtight container until ready to use. (This recipe makes enough to season 4 large steaks.)
- When ready to use, rub the seasoning over all sides of the steaks, and allow them to rest for at least 20 minutes before grilling or searing.
Tips & Tricks
- Add some spice! If you like a little bit of spice in your food, you can add red pepper flakes or a dash of cayenne pepper!
- Make it ahead! This seasoning can be made ahead or made in large batches and saved for later. That way you’ll always have the tastiest seasoning ready for any BBQ or steak night. Store the homemade spice blend in a jar or airtight container and place it in a cool dry place for up to 3 months.
- Wrap it up and gift it! This is a great edible gift to share with friends. (Think summer party takeaways, Father’s Day or even holiday gifts!) It’s a thoughtful and flavorful gift that keeps on giving.
Here are my favorite side dishes that go along with a fabulous steak!
The Best Potato Salad Recipe – Potatoes are a staple with any steak dinner. This is a fan-favorite recipe that is sure to please a crowd.
Roasted Cauliflower Rice – For a grain-free and healthier side dish, try this Roasted Cauliflower Rice!
Oven Roasted Broccoli Recipe – Balance this hearty meal out with some broccoli. This recipe makes perfectly oven-roasted broccoli every time!
Grilled Mexican Street Corn Salad – For a Mexican twist, make this super yummy Street Corn Salad! Perfect for summer barbeques.
Frequently Asked Questions
I get this question a lot, because I think that a lot of people are scared to season their steak incorrectly and mess it up! Since steak is generally more expensive than other cuts of meat, I totally get it. You can season steak with a lot of different spices and seasonings, or you can go simple with just salt and pepper (heavy on the pepper)! I really like this bold steak seasoning blend though, which will enhance the flavor of the steak without taking over!
There are a lot of different steak seasoning options out there. If you typically use Montreal steak seasoning, it usually consists of garlic, coriander, black pepper, cayenne pepper, dill seed and salt. This steak seasoning differs a little bit and uses cumin instead of coriander, with the addition of bolder spices like paprika and chili powder!
Absolutely! This best steak seasoning recipe is great on chicken wings, burgers, pork chops, pork tenderloin or even fish! I also like this flavor combo on vegetables. You can really use it for all your grilled proteins. Feel free to experiment with your steak seasoning, and let me know how it turns out in the comments below!
See The Recipe Card Below For How To Make The Best Steak Seasoning Recipe. Enjoy!
Looking for More Steakhouse Recipes? Be Sure to Check Out:
- Bistecca alla Fiorentina (Florentine Steak Platter)
- Steak Fajita Stuffed Avocado Recipe
- Lieutenant Dan’s Steakhouse Salad
- Balsamic Steak Sheet Pan Dinner
- Grilled French Onion Steak Sliders
- Harissa Baked French Fries
- Oven Roasted Salmon with Peppercorn Sauce
- Best Homemade Refrigerator Pickles
- Truffle Parmesan Biscuits
- Warm Blueberry Sauce (For Ice Cream!)
- Market Stuffed Squash Blossoms
Best Steak Seasoning Recipe
- Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Either use immediately, or store in a small airtight container until ready to use. Makes enough to season 4 large steaks.
- When ready to use, rub the seasoning over all sides of the steaks, and allow them to rest at least 20 minutes before grilling or searing.