Roasted Cauliflower Rice
So… as you can see by the name, this Roasted Cauliflower Rice recipe isn’t really “rice” at all.
However, if you are on a strict #paleo or #lowcarb diet, this grain free recipe is a life saver.
Even if you’re not adhering to a particular gluten free diet, here is a fabulous low carb side dish that everyone in my family loves.
Perfect for serving with wonderfully sauce-heavy main dishes, cauliflower rice gives you that fluffy yet substantial texture you crave in a side dish.
How to Make Perfect Roasted Cauliflower Rice
You only need 3 simple ingredients to make this delicious low carb and grain free side dish.
- Olive Oil
Seriously, that’s it!
However, you can definitely add a hint of one or two spices to compliment whatever you are serving for your main dish, like a healthy pinch of cumin, turmeric, chili powder, or Chinese 5-spice.
Depending on how much rice you are needing to make, you’ll either want one large or two small cauliflower heads for this recipe. You remove the leaves and core, and use just the florets for creating the “rice.”
Here are the easy steps for making Roasted Cauliflower Rice:
- Simply grind cauliflower florets in the food processor until they become roughly the size of rice.
- Next, toss the riced cauliflower with olive oil on a prepared baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and any other desired spices, and roast for a few minutes.
- Stir gently, smooth out again, and continue roasting for another 5 minutes.
Once roasted, the cauliflower “grains” are soft, tender, and fluffy…
Heck, it looks, feels, and even kind of tastes like rice. Who knew?!
The first few times I served grain free side dish this to my family, the kids were halfway through dinner before they realized it wasn’t real rice. And it was so yummy, once they were wise they couldn’t care less that they were happily enjoying cauliflower!
Get the Complete Roasted Cauliflower Recipe Below!
If you’re looking to lighten up your diet, or are just curious about the versatility of cauliflower, give this “rice” recipe a try.
You can serve alongside any of these flavorful main dishes for a fantastic low carb meal!
Is Riced Cauliflower Good for Meal Prepping?
Yes! Go ahead and use your food processor to “rice” a large batch of cauliflower, and then seal portions in freezer-safe bags while still raw.
The uncooked cauliflower will keep well for 2 months in the freezer! Simple defrost and roast per my recipe when you’re ready to enjoy.
Does Roasted Cauliflower Rice Save Well for Leftovers?
Kept in an airtight container, cooked cauliflower rice will keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days or the freezer for up to one month. Enjoy reheated in the oven or microwave.
Note: Because the “rice” will have been sitting with the oil, you won’t get quite the same fluffy and tender side dish when you reheat. However, it is still incredibly tasty and perfect for lunch meal prepping!
Add cold leftover cauliflower rice to fresh salads, use in burritos and “rice” bowls, or try my Cauliflower Fried Rice recipe!
What’s your favorite way to enjoy this grain free not-rice?
Looking for More Delicious Low Carb Side Dishes?
- Low Carb Keto Tortilla Recipe
- The Best Cloud Bread Recipe
- Baked Turnip Fries
- The Best Sauteed Mushrooms
- How to Make Healthy Broccoli Rice
- Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Beer
Roasted Cauliflower Rice
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Cut the cauliflower in half and remove the core and leaves. Roughly chop the cauliflower and place in the food processor. Pulse until the cauliflower is small and fine like rice.
- Dump the cauliflower rice out onto a large rimmed baking sheet (If your baking sheet is average sized or small, use two.) Drizzle the olive oil over the top. Then mix with your hands and spread the cauliflower rice out into a thin layer. Sprinkle with salt.
- Roast in the oven for 5 minutes. Then stir and smooth out again. Roast, another 5 minutes. Serve warm.