Perfect Instant Pot Butter Chicken Curry
Perfect Instant Pot Butter Chicken Curry – A vibrant and tantalizing butter chicken curry recipe that is made in just minutes using your pressure cooker! This flavorful classic Indian butter chicken recipe is sure to be a hit with your family.
Butter. Chicken. Were there ever two words more perfect together?
Although I can think of a lot of names to better describe this classic Indian favorite, Perfect Butter Chicken is definitely the most tantalizing title.
We love making Indian curries at home. The bold spices and vibrant colors are such a great way to liven up a mundane mid-week meal.
However, many traditional curries can take hours to make at home. The layers of ingredients must be meticulously added at different times to create the depth of flavor we associate with Indian cuisine.
Because of this, our “quickie” Indian curries often taste better the next day after they have had time to rest and mingle.
This Perfect Instant Pot Butter Chicken Curry Recipe is a delicious exception to the rule.
Seriously Perfect Instant Pot Butter Chicken Curry
Using the “Pressure Cook” setting on the Instant Pot allows you to pack in hours of slow-cooked flavor in minutes!
You get all the complexity of restaurant-made Butter Chicken, in a speedy recipe you can make in a pinch. You’ve got to love that.
Butter lovers unite!
Our Perfect Instant Pot Butter Chicken Curry is going to rock your dinner table tonight.
What Ingredients You Need
This creamy, slightly smoky and sweet buttery curry requires only a few ingredients, with each component adding an essential layer of flavor.
Here are the ingredients:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs – cut up into bite-sized pieces
- Butter – or ghee
- Onion – peeled and chopped
- Garlic cloves – minced
- Fresh ginger – grated
- Curry powder
- Garam Masala
- Smoked paprika
- Tomato sauce – canned
- Heavy cream
- Cilantro for garnish – chopped
In traditional Butter Chicken recipes you usually find a long long list of Indian spices. However, all of these spices are found in most curry powder and Garam Masala spice blends.
How To Make Our Instant Pot Butter Chicken Curry Recipe
- Sauté onions, garlic, and ginger in the butter, using the SAUTE function of the Instant Pot. Stir in curry powder, garam masala, and smoked paprika.
- Once the spices and onions have cooked down for a few minutes, add in chopped chicken thighs and canned tomato sauce.
- Lock the lid on the Instant Pot and pressure cook for 7 minutes.
- After doing a Quick Release of the steam, stir in the heavy cream to create the rich and silky Butter Chicken sauce we all know and love!
And you can’t serve a classic Indian dish like this without fresh Naan Bread on the side!
Is it Possible to Make Butter Chicken Curry Without Dairy?
People ask me all the time if this Perfect Instant Pot Butter Chicken Curry can be made dairy free…
In short, no. But, the honest answer is yes and no.
You can make this exact recipe substituting coconut oil or non-dairy butter spread for the butter, and thick canned coconut milk for the heavy cream.
It will still taste delicious and will convert this recipe to not only a gluten free meal, but a dairy free and gluten free meal.
Is it really Butter Chicken without butter?
It’s technically not even Chicken Tikka Masala, a similar British-Indian fusion dish, without a little dairy.
When you take out the dairy and add coconut milk, what you end up with is more of a Goan-style curry. So technically, you should rename it.
Can I Make This a Vegetarian or Vegan Curry Instant Pot Recipe?
Absolutely! Substitute canned chickpeas in place of the chicken, and follow the above advice for making a dairy free, and therefore vegan, dish.
How Do I Make This Curry Recipe in the Slow Cooker?
You can easily make this Butter Chicken or Chickpea recipe in the slow cooker.
Follow step 1 on the stovetop, then transfer the onions and spices to the crock of your slow cooker. Add the tomato sauce and chopped chicken, and stir. Cover and slow cook for 6-8 hours on LOW. Then, stir in the cream and serve warm.
Looking for More Indian-Inspired Recipes?
- Malabar Chicken
- Green Mango Chaat
- Creamy Saag Paneer
- Yakhni Pulao
- Aromatic India Rice
- Roasted Indian Fish and Creamy Curried Cauliflower
Perfect Instant Pot Butter Chicken Curry
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter, or ghee
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 8-10 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- Place the butter, chopped onions, garlic, ginger, and all spices in the Instant Pot. Set on Sauté for 5 minutes. Stir to make sure the ingredients don't burn. Once the onions are soft, turn off.
- Pour 1 cup water into the pot. Then use a wooden spoon to scrub the debris off the bottom of the pot. (This ensures the burn notice will not go off!)
- Add the chopped chicken thighs and canned tomato sauce. Lock the lid into place and turn the Instant Pot on Pressure Cook High for 7 minutes. Once finished, turn the Instant Pot Off, then perform a Quick Release to release the steam pressure. Once the valve button drops, unlock the lid and remove.
- Stir in the heavy cream. Set the Instant Pot on Sauté again and simmer for 2-5 minutes to thicken the sauce. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve with basmati rice.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!