Fresh and fragrant Green Mango Chaat Recipe inspired by the popular Indian street snack. This healthy chop salad incorporates simple ingredients in a unique way.
Chaat is a very popular street food in Indian and its bordering countries. Because it comes in many forms and varieties, chaat can be a little hard to define. Generally speaking, it’s a chopped mixture of fresh vegetables and herbs with grains, often served in a paper cone.
However, in my travels I’ve enjoyed chaat made with roasted potatoes, chickpeas, puffed rice, and even in the form of fritters.
Today I’m sharing a bright and healthy chaat variation, inspired by one of my very favorite restaurants in Asheville, Chai Pani.
Green Mango Chaat is actually on the menu at Chai Pani. Although I try to order something different every time I visit, it’s really hard to resist ordering this fresh zesty chop salad again and again.
So today I’m sharing my copycat version of Green Mango Chaat. I think you’ll love it as much as I do!
The grain element in this Green Mango Chaat recipe is corn poha… seasoned corn flakes. You can buy corn poha at ethnic markets which are slightly thicker than regular corn flakes. Or you can just buy corn flakes cereal.
Start by seasoning the corn flakes with garam masala and onion powder. Then toss them with a little oil and bake them to add zesty crunch to the salad.
In a salad bowl, combine green mango (which is just firm unripened mango), red onion, chopped cilantro, roasted peanuts, and golden raisins.
Make a quick cilantro dressing in the blender and pour over the top.
When you’re ready to serve the green mango chaat, toss in the corn poha. Make sure to only add it right before serving, so it is crunchy when eating.
You end up with the exotic flavors and textures of Indian tossed in a salad bowl. It’s fireworks for the palate and medicine for the soul.
Green Mango Chaat makes a wonderful snack or side dish, but also makes a marvelous topper for grilled fish or pork chops.
Green Mango Chaat
Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:10 minutes
Fresh and fragrant Indian Green Mango Chaat Recipe inspired by the popular street snack. This exotic chop salad incorporates simple ingredients in a unique way.
For the Chaat Recipe:
- 2 green mangoes (firm unripened mangoes)
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
For the Corn Poha:
- 1 1/2 cup corn flakes or corn poha
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Cilantro Dressing:
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, optional
- For the Corn Poha: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Pour the cornflakes on a rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle the seasonings and oil over the top. Toss by hand and spread evenly over the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, then cool.
- For the Cilantro Dressing: Place all the ingredients in the blender. Puree until smooth and emulsified. Then pulse in 1-2 tablespoons of water if needed to reach your desired consistency. Salt to taste.
- For the Green Mango Chaat: Peel and dice the mangoes. Place in a large salad bowl, with the onions, cilantro, peanuts, and raisins. Toss with the cilantro dressing and refrigerate until ready to serve. Toss in the corn poha right before serving, so they stay crisp.
Yield: 6-8 servings, Serving Size: 1/8th recipe
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 246 Calories
- Total Fat: 13.6g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9g
- Sodium: 131mg
- Carbohydrates: 29.2g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Sugar: 12.7g
- Protein: 6g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!