Cornmeal Pancakes with Orange Syrup
The absolute definition of comfort food. These rustic Cornmeal Pancakes and Orange Syrup are fluffy, tangy sunshine on a plate!
My kids are headed back to school in three weeks. Can you believe that?!
I’m not sure where this summer went. It feels like they just got out of school. Other than the calendar, the only evidence I have of the imminent back-to-school actually being possible, are heavy tan lines and kiddie pants several inches too short.
Once it finally sinks in that it’s time to buy pencils and backpacks, I always like to plan some special breakfast items to kick off the school year on a high note.
Pancakes are universally my family’s favorite breakfast. Dan and the kids are always happy to sit down to a heaping tower of hotcakes drenched in syrup.
We make many varieties of pancakes, from my classic diner-style flapjacks with malt powder, to mocha chip pancakes with espresso syrup. However, my current pancake recipe of choice is hearty Cornmeal Pancakes with Orange Syrup.
I wasn’t kidding when I called them sunshine on a plate earlier. These tender hotcakes are kissed with orange zest and corn essence, giving them a rustic southern quality that warms your heart like a ray of pure sunshine. You cannot help but to smile while eating them.
I made this recipe with organic flour, eggs, milk, and Wholesome!™ Organic Cane Sugar. So even though I wouldn’t call these flapjacks “health food” I can still feel good about serving them to my family, knowing they are made with clean ingredients and a whole lot of love.
Wholesome!™ Sweeteners not only makes organic fair trade non-gmo certified sugars, honey, and agave… They make pancake syrup as well!
For the Orange Syrup, I simply whisked together Wholesome!™ Organic Pancake Syrup with a little orange zest. Of course the orange zest is optional, but I think it adds that extra something that takes these bright glorious pancakes to the next level of goodness.
Whether I’m making healthy dishes, or just cleaning up our favorite comfort foods, I like to make sure the ingredients I use are pure and natural as often as possible. Wholesome!™ is the brand I trust for pesticide free, non-gmo sweeteners that pass the highest level of certification.
And they taste great!
My Cornmeal Pancakes with Orange Syrup recipe couldn’t be quicker to pull together in the morning. A quick whisk of ingredients while the griddle is warming, and these babies are ready to cook. Serve them warm with the tangy-sweet syrup and you have a breakfast worthy of the first day of school…
And one you might be making many more days to come!
Happy Back to School!
Cornmeal Pancakes with Orange Syrup
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal not mix
- 1/4 cup Wholesome!™ Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted (plus extra for griddle)
- Zest of 2 oranges divided
- 1 cup Wholesome!™ Organic Pancake Syrup
- Preheat a griddle to 375 degrees F. (Or a large skillet to just above medium heat on the stovetop.) Pour the flour, cornmeal, Wholesome! Organic Cane Sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk well.
- Whisk in the milk, eggs, melted butter and half the orange zest. Whisk the batter until completely smooth.
- Once the griddle is very hot, butter the surface. Use a 1/4 cup scoop to dollop the thick batter into 4- to 5-inch circles. Cook until the edges are dry and the centers are bubbly, then flip and cook another 1-2 minutes. If the pancakes are too dark, turn down the heat. Repeat with the remaining batter and additional butter.
- Meanwhile, whisk 1 cup of Wholesome! Pancake Syrup with 1 teaspoon orange zest. Taste and add additional orange zest if desired. Once the cornmeal pancakes are finished cooking, serve warm with the orange syrup.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Wholesome!™ Sweeteners. All opinions are my own.