Looking for healthier back to school side dishes? These 6-Ingredient Healthy Baked Zucchini Tots are gluten free and packed with flavor!
Chances are, if you’re a gardener and happened to plant zucchini this year, you’ve got bushels of these tender green batons coming out of your garden right now.
What should you do with your mountain of zucchini? You could make…
Just to name a few. Zucchini lovers unite!
However, my latest zucchini addiction is Healthy Baked Zucchini Tots made with only 6 ingredients (+ salt and pepper) and they’re gluten free to boot.
Healthy Baked Zucchini Tots make a wonderful side dish or snack for kids and adults alike.
They are packed with zucchini, seasoned with herbs, and held together with eggs, a little cheese, and crushed rice cereal.
Once baked, they have the consistency of tater tots, yet have a lot more going for them, including zesty flavor as well as protein, vitamins, and minerals!
Healthy Baked Zucchini Tots are fun to make and even more fun to dunk. Try them with ketchup, honey mustard, ranch, or blue cheese dressing.
My kids love these little guys. And I love that I’m sneaking extra veggies into their diet.
As an added bonus, Healthy Baked Zucchini Tots are easy to freeze! Just bake them according to the recipe, place in a zip bag and freeze. When you’re ready to use them, warm them in the oven at 350 for about 10-15 minutes!
Healthy Baked Zucchini Tots
- 2 cups packed shredded zucchini
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cups shredded italian blend cheese, Could use low fat cheese.
- 1/2 cup crushed rice cereal, Rice Chex or gf rice puffs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Shred the zucchini and measure out 2 cups tightly packed. Dump the zucchini onto a paper towel. Then use another paper towel to press out as much moisture as possible. Discard the paper towels. Place the zucchini in a large bowl.
- Crush the rice cereal into fine crumbs. Add the eggs, cheese, crushed rice cereal, herbs, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper. Mix well to combine.
Using a 2 teaspoon cookie scoop, spoon out tightly packed portions of zucchini mixture and place on parchment paper lined baking sheets. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
NOTE: If your recipe does not need to be gluten free, you can substitute panko bread crumbs for the rice cereal.