How To Make Tzatziki Sauce
How To Make The Tzatziki Sauce – This wonderfully bright, zesty dip and spread is Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Low Carb, and Keto. Enjoy with pita and fresh veggies, or use this homemade tzatziki sauce recipe as a creamy salad dressing.
Mediterranean Gyro Sauce
If you could define the Mediterranean region by taste, how would you describe it?
Just think of that bright blue water, picturesque white architecture contrasted against the shadowy mountains, blue doors at every corner, evil eye trinkets in every window, and lots of colorful and delicious fresh cuisine.
If we had to depict the whole of the Mediterranean by flavor, we would include tzatziki sauce dolloped inside a lamb gyro, and a salad topped with fresh feta and drizzled in olive oil straight from the vineyard.
Is your mouth watering yet?
Tzatziki For All
If you answered yes, then this homemade Tzatziki Recipe is a must for you!
Tzatziki sauce is a perfect balance of cool cucumber, yummy yogurt, and delicious dill. The creamy yogurt soothes your palette, balancing the flavors of spicy dishes.
Tzatziki (yogurt sauce) originated in India when the Ottoman Empire was in full swing and was brought back to the Middle Eastern countries where it is most well known today.
The Middle Eastern countries of Greece, the Balkans, Turkey, and Albania, all have different variations of this zesty and bright sauce.
The Best Tzatziki Dip
This homemade tzatziki sauce recipe is a traditional Greek recipe that is a popular dish in restaurants found in Greece… Or Greek restaurants in the USA as well.
If you ever visit Greece, you will understand how important tzatziki is to the culture of this beautiful country.
But until then, you can enjoy a taste of the Greek culture in your own kitchen by making this delicious tzatziki gyro sauce recipe at home.
What Ingredients You Need
- Plain Greek Yogurt – The creamy base with a marvelous tangy flavor.
- English Cucumber – This adds a bit of texture to your gyro sauce.
- Lemon – Use both the zest and the juice for a bright fresh flavor.
- Olive Oil – To add depth of flavor, and a silky quality.
- Dill – A bold herby note.
- Garlic – Add a little or a lot: You can always add more if you like extra garlicky flavor.
- Salt & Pepper – Add to taste.
How To Make The Best Tzatziki Sauce
- First, shred the cucumber with a cheese grater into a medium-sized bowl.
- Next, zest and juice the lemon, and finely chop the dill and garlic.
- Combine the yogurt, shredded cucumber, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, chopped dill, garlic, salt, and pepper together. Mix well!
Cover the bowl tightly and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. As the ingredients sit together the sauce becomes more and more flavorful!
Get the Full (Printable) How To Make Tzatziki Sauce Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Try serving this creamy, fresh sauce with…
- Grilled Chicken Gyro Salad
- Sweet Potato Falafel
- Chicken Souvlaki
- Saucy Greek Lemon Meatballs (Keftedes)
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Tzatziki Sauce Healthy?
Yes, this recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, and vegetarian. You can adjust the level of fat by using low-fat or full-fat yogurt.
How Can I Make This Recipe A Vegan Recipe?
Instead of using Plain Greek yogurt, choose a vegan yogurt alternative made with almonds or cashews.
What Can I Use Tzatziki Sauce For?
We love to use tzatziki sauce as a low-carb, protein-packed snack with pita bread or your choice of veggies. Another great way to enjoy this tzatziki recipe is dolloped on a gyro or on grilled chicken.
How Long Does This Tzatziki Dip Last?
This tzatziki sauce recipe will last up to 4 days in the refrigerator, if covered in an airtight container.
Can I Freeze This Tzatziki Sauce Recipe?
Yes, you can freeze this gyro sauce recipe. (You can freeze just about anything.) However, don’t expect it to have the same consistency as when you first made it. Cucumbers tend to get mushy in the freezer, and the lemon might cause the yogurt to curdle a little.
If you freeze your tzatziki sauce, make sure to store it packed in an airtight container. Then stir it very well before serving.
Looking for More Zesty Sauces and Dips?
- Homemade Creamy Pesto Sauce Recipe
- Spicy Mustard Seafood Sauce Recipe
- Smoked Salmon Dip Recipe
- Hot Onion Dip with Fried Onions Recipe
- Southern Comeback Sauce Recipe
- Spicy Feta Dip with Roasted Red Peppers Recipe
- The Best Ranchero Sauce Recipe
- Zesty Roasted Beet Hummus Recipe
- Hella Jalapeno Jelly Recipe (Hot Pepper Jelly)
- Best Easy Remoulade Sauce Recipe
- Homemade Tartar Sauce Recipe
How To Make The Best Tzatziki Sauce
- Shred the cucumber with a cheese grater. Zest and juice the lemon. Then chop the dill and garlic.
- Set out a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add the yogurt, shredded cucumber, lemon zest, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, olive oil, chopped dill, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Mix well. Then salt and pepper as needed. You can also add additional lemon juice if you so desire.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!