Homemade Creamy Pesto Sauce
Homemade Creamy Pesto Sauce Recipe – This terrifically easy homemade pesto sauce is rich, creamy, and packed with bright summer flavors. Make the creamiest, dreamiest basil pesto sauce in just 5 minutes with only a handful of simple and fresh ingredients!
There are two types of people in the world: People who like pesto, and those who are just wrong. *wink*
We are most definitely pro-pesto people around here.
I mean, how can you not love a herbaceous, easy, and oh-so-versatile pesto sauce?!
Bright and zesty pesto tastes just like summer. It is packed with garden-fresh basil, a hint of lemon, and lots of garlic. There is no real cooking necessary, so it’s perfect for preparing on a hot day when you don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. You can even make a large batch to keep in the fridge and enjoy for several days.
While our family is a big fan of classic basil pesto, I wanted to create a richer sauce to really elevate all of that herb-y, garlic-y goodness. This Creamy Pesto Sauce recipe features the best, bold pesto flavors we love plus a smooth, crave-able creaminess that will make any true pesto lover rejoice!
The Best Creamy Pesto Sauce
There is no better way to describe this pesto sauce than as purely decadent.
When we say “creamy” we mean that it is actually made with cool, delicious heavy cream. Combined with pine nuts, percorino (or parmesan) cheese, and extra-virgin olive oil, you will love how wonderfully indulgent this sauce tastes – while also being tangy and light.
The creamiest, dreamiest pesto sauce is delicious to enjoy any number of ways, like chilled as a zippy dip or tossed with pasta and served warm or cold for a satisfying dinner or side dish.
Try our recipe for Creamy Pesto Sauce and add some excitement to your favorite foods!
What Ingredients You Need
The best basil pestos are made with simple, fresh ingredients. This recipe is a great way to use up that abundance of basil you have had growing this summer, and includes many items you likely already have on hand.
Here is everything needed to make our Creamy Basil Pesto Sauce:
- Basil leaves
- Pine nuts
- Percorino cheese – or parmesan
- Garlic cloves
- Lemon zest
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
If you don’t enjoy or can’t find pine nuts, you can substitute walnuts, almonds, or pistachios in this pesto recipe for a similar mild flavor and great texture.
How To Make the Creamiest Homemade Basil Pesto
This easy pesto recipe takes only 5 minutes to make, with no cooking required!
- First, set out a food processor. Place the basil leaves, pine nuts, pecorino or parmesan cheese, garlic clove, and lemon zest in the food processor. Cover the pulse until finely ground.
- Then add in the extra-virgin olive oil, salt and ground pepper. Pulse again until a smooth, thick pesto sauce is formed.
- Next, add the heavy cream, pulsing just a few times to incorporate the cream. If the sauce is a little too thick, you can thin it out with a bit water. Add a few drops at a time and continue to pulse until the creamy pesto is just the right consistency.
- Taste, then salt and pepper as needed.
Refrigerate until ready to use, up to 5 days total.
Because it includes heavy cream, I do not recommend that you freeze this creamy sauce.
Get the Complete (Printable) Homemade Creamy Pesto Sauce Recipe Below. Enjoy!
How To Enjoy Creamy Pesto Sauce
You want to be sure that you don’t cook the pesto sauce directly, as this would greatly change the lovely, fresh flavor. Instead, you either want to incorporate the raw pesto into cooked (and at least slightly cooled) dishes, serve chilled, or enjoy at room temperature.
This vibrant pesto sauce is perfect for serving as a cold dip with seasonal veggies, crackers, pita and/or baguette slices.
It is fantastic as a unique sandwich spread, on both cold cut sandwiches and hot paninis.
We love topping homemade pizzas with creamy pesto for a fun, fancy pizza party night.
And, of course, this creamy basil pesto sauce is excellent with many different types of pasta. Combine with a hearty pasta like fusilli or tortellini and serve warm, or chill and enjoy as a refreshing pasta salad.
We recommend you make our fabulous Basil Pesto Chicken Pasta with creamy pesto as an easy weeknight meal this summer!
Is The Creamiest Pesto Recipe Gluten Free? Low Carb?
While fairly high in fat, the creamiest pesto is low carb. It can even be enjoyed on a keto diet!
Looking for More Easy and Fresh Summer Recipes?
- Italian Summer Pasta with Orange and Basil
- Wild Rice Salad with Blueberries and Herbs
- Stuffed Zucchini Boats with Quinoa and Pine Nuts
- Chicken Quinoa Bowls with Romesco Sauce
- Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto & Fontina Fondue
Homemade Creamy Pesto Sauce
- Set out a food processor. Place the basil leaves, pine nuts, pecorino cheese, garlic clove, and lemon zest in the food processor. Cover and pulse until finely ground.
- Then add in the olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon ground pepper. Pulse again until a smooth, thick pesto sauce is formed.
- Add 3/4 cup heavy cream. Pulse just a few times to incorporate the cream. Add an additional 1/4 cup of heavy cream if needed. However, if the sauce is too thick, you can thin it out with a little water.
- Taste, then salt and pepper as needed. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!