Smoked Salmon Dip
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Smoked Salmon Dip Recipe – This easy Low Carb Dip is made with cream cheese and a handful of bold ingredients to make the smokiest zestiest dip you’ve ever tried!
Low Carb Smoked Dip
So, you’re sticking to your guns on your new low-carb lifestyle.
Good for you! As football season and winter holidays approach, I hope to offer some extra celebration recipes that you can still enjoy on a low-carb or ketogenic diet.
Although I have unabashedly photographed today’s Smoked Salmon Dip Recipe with sliced baguettes, it’s just as delicious, and ultra low carb, if you serve it with raw cut vegetables or keto chips.
We have made all sorts of smoked salmon spread variations over the years. Some from famous chefs. Some using ingredients to clean out the refrigerator. Even some for speed and convenience.
However, this 10-ingredient version is the smoked salmon dip recipe that my family thinks is the best.
You can use store-bought smoked salmon, or leftover salmon you smoked at home. Either way, it turns out pearly pink, perky, and packed with flavor!
What Ingredients You Will Need
- Smoked Salmon – When buying this at the market, look for dense vacuum-packed wild caught fillets.
- Cream Cheese – This creates a thick silky base.
- Sour Cream – Some recipes call for mayonnaise instead of sour cream, but I feel it makes the dip too sweet. You can use 1/2 cup for a thick “spread-like” dip or 3/4 cup sour cream for a dip that is better for scooping.
- Scallions – A little goes a long way.
- Capers – Don’t overkill on the capers, or the dip will be too salty.
- Lemon Zest – For extra zip!
- Dill – Fresh is best. Use the rest of the bunch in salads and dressings.
- Horseradish – This adds a unique underlying flavor, you can’t quite put your finger on.
- Smoked Paprika – My favorite spice to accentuate the smoky essence of the salmon.
- Crushed Red Pepper – For a little kick! Add as much as you like.
How To Make Easy Smoked Salmon Dip
This recipe could not be any more simple.
- Just dump the creamy ingredients and spices in a food processor.
- Then scrape the bowl and add in the smoked salmon, green onions, and capers.
- Puree again, stopping when it’s the consistency you like. You can make it pretty smooth, like mine, or leave it a little chunky.
See the Full (Printable) Smoked Salmon Dip Recipe + VIDEO Below for More Details!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Homemade Smoked Salmon?
Of course! However, your salmon might not have as much salt in it as packaged smoked salmon. So taste it, and salt if needed at the end.
Can I Make Other Varieties of Smoked Fish Dip Using This Recipe?
Sure you can! Swap the smoked salmon for 6 ounces of smoked trout, mackerel, cod, or any other smoked fish you have on hand.
Can I Eat This Right Away?
Sure! However, the flavors mingle and develop over time, so it’s best to refrigerate it for at least one hour before serving.
Can I Skip The Horseradish?
You can omit any of the herbs, spices, and seasoning you like. However, we have specifically picked these to create the best flavor combination.
Is This Recipe Gluten Free?
Yes! Just be sure to double-check the salmon packaging to make sure there is no hidden gluten in the seasoning.
I’m Low Carb. What Should I Serve Salmon Dip With?
I’d go with raw cut veggies, baked vegetable chips, or keto crackers.
How Long Does Smoked Dip Keep In The Refrigerator?
For at least 7-10 days.
Other Great Dipper and Dip Recipes!
- French Onion Keto Crackers Recipe
- Baked Sweet Potato Chips Recipe
- Low Carb Cauliflower Crackers Recipe
- Baked Carrot Chips Recipe
- Baked Zucchini Chips Recipe
- 3 Ingredient Magic Taco Dip Recipe
- Hot Cajun Shrimp Dip Recipe
- Best Crab Salad (Seafood Salad Recipe)
- Best Easy Remoulade Sauce Recipe
- Homemade Tartar Sauce Recipe
- Brown Sugar Smoked Salmon by Blackberry Babe
Smoked Salmon Dip Recipe
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 ounces smoked salmon, skin removed
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
- In the bowl of a food processor, measure out the cream cheese, sour cream, lemon zest, dill, horseradish, paprika, and crushed red pepper. *Add 1/2 cup sour cream if you want your dip thick and “spread-like” or 3/4 cup sour cream if you want it more loose like a dip.
- Cover and puree the ingredients. Then scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Now add the smoked salmon, green onions, and capers to the food processor. Cover and pulse until the salmon is broken into small pieces and well incorporated. You can puree it smooth, or leave it a little chunky.
- Refrigerate at least one hour before serving.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Real Butter + Slow cookers== Heck yes! 😉😊
Pingback: 15 Best Keto Dip Recipes To Try Today
This was really good! The husband loved it. I’ll definitely be making this again. Thanks!
Such a great idea about the smoked salmon dip recipe thanks sharing
Such a great idea about the smoked recipe thanks sharing this article and too good recipes
This is one of my favorite dips to make – not everyone expects that it has salmon in it, but they all end up loving it anyways!
Made this dip
and was very happy with results. Didn’t have smoked paprika so just used regular. Only had dried dill and still worked great. Added 1/4 of top of crushed red and wound up adding a other 1/4 tsp. Also added 1 tsp at a time of lemon zest. At the end added 1 turn of pink Himalayan Salt and 2 turns of cracked pepper. Also used chive and onion cream cheese.
Made it…….loved it! Just wondering, I have quite a few cans of salmon on hand. Could I substitute canned salmon for smoked, and perhaps just add a few drops of liquid smoke?
Pingback: The Best Salmon Smoked Recipes - Best Recipes Ideas and Collections
I made this dip yesterday for a party today and I could hardly stay out of it. The only ingredient I did not have were the capers, but I just happened to have everything else, even the fresh dill. This is the best smoked salmon dip I have ever tasted. I can’t wait to take it to the party this afternoon, after I sample it again or course.
Pingback: How to Make Gravlax - Recipe Girl
I think you meant to put a teaspoon of lemon zest. I did the tablespoon and everyone thought it was overpowering. Will try it again, but with way less zest. Thanks for the recipe. Was very easy to make
Such a great seafood dip! Sounds so amazing!
This is the perfect late night snack or appetizer! Love how easy it is to throw together.
What a delicious appetizer! I bet it’s gone so fast! It has so many yummy flavors!
Love this salmon dip! I make it every time I’m hosting a party and it’s always a hit!
This looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it.
I loved this! It was really amazing!! A new favorite dip in my house!
We love this dip!!! And love all the flavorful components!
We can’t get enough of this dip!