Hot Cajun Shrimp Dip Recipe
Hot Cajun Shrimp Dip Recipe with Cream Cheese – A Louisiana specialty… This decadent party appetizer is quick to throw together and disappears in no time. It is sure to become your new favorite snack.
What’s The Rule On Cheese and Seafood?
There’s an old culinary mindset that cheese and seafood are not a great pairing. The theory is that the richness of the cheese will overshadow the delicate flavor of the seafood.
While this might be true in some cases, most of the time, it’s completely false.
In fact, certain types of fish and shellfish are enhanced by the addition of creamy salty cheese.
Just think about it… Fettuccine Alfredo with Shrimp, Silky Parmesan Risotto and Clams, Fish Tacos with Queso Fresco, and my all-time favorite myth buster, Cajun Shrimp Dip with Cream Cheese and Cheddar.
The Best Louisiana Shrimp Dip
Cajun Shrimp Dip is a Louisiana specialty. A friend introduced me to this cheesy party dip several years ago, and I’ve been craving it ever since!
It is a simple and casual appetizer that is hard to resist.
Shrimp Dip is meant to be served hot with sliced baguettes or crackers. Each creamy bite is packed with nutty cheese, herbs and spices, sweet bell pepper, and little chunks for steaming hot shrimp.
This is a cheese and seafood lover’s dream come true!
What Ingredients You Will Need
Here’s what you will need to make this fabulous party snack:
- Small raw shrimp – Use popcorn shrimp for less chopping.
- Red bell pepper
- Sweet onion
- Garlic, minced
- Cajun seasoning – AKA creole seasoning.
- Cream cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Lemon juice
- Louisiana hot sauce – optional
You can use any size of raw shrimp you have on-hand. However, the shrimp needs to be chopped into small pieces so it’s easy to scoop up on crackers.
Pro Tip: If you are sensitive to spice, use the Cajun Seasoning, but skip the extra hot sauce!
How To Make Cajun Hot Shrimp Dip with Cream Cheese
- Preheat the oven. Set a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté the butter, chopped bell pepper, chopped onion, and garlic in the skillet until soft.
- Chop the shrimp. If using “popcorn shrimp” there is no need to chop it. If using large shrimp, roughly chop into bite-size pieces.
- Sauté the shrimp. Once the vegetables are softened, add the shrimp and Cajun seasoning.
- Mix. Stir in the cream cheese, mayonnaise, cheese, herbs, and lemon juice.
- Bake. Sprinkle the top with extra parmesan cheese. Bake until the edges are bubbly. Then serve hot with chips, crackers, or sliced baguettes.
Get the Full (Printable) Cajun Shrimp Dip Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Other Great Add-Ins & Swaps
Although I suggest trying this recipe as-is the first time, feel free to mix things up when you remake it!
Shrimp Swaps – Diced scallops, clams, or squid. (The firmer the shellfish, the smaller you should chop it.)
Cheese Swaps -Try it with smoked gouda, muenster, pepper jack, and/or pecorino.
Mayonnaise Swap – Mayonnaise really does offer a lovely tangy note that lifts the heaviness of the cheese. However, if you do not eat mayonnaise, swap it for sour cream.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Skip The Fresh Onions and Garlic and Use The Powdered Products Instead?
Yes, you can. But the fresh onions and garlic offer a much brighter flavor and chunky texture. I would personally take the time to do the chopping.
What If I Cannot Find Cajun or Creole Seasoning?
How Long Does This Recipe Last In The Fridge?
After baking, you can wrap and keep this dip in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Rewarm it in the oven for 15-20 minutes or in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.
Can You Freeze The Leftovers?
No, this is not a great freezer recipe. The molten cheese does not thaw and reheat well.
However, I will say, it’s very unlikely that you will have enough leftovers to consider freezing. Cajun Shrimp Dip usually disappears very fast!
More Amazing Dips and Spread
- Hot Smoked Pimento Cheese Recipe
- Creamy Sausage and Cheese Dip Recipe (In A Bread Bowl)
- Supreme Pizza Dip Recipe
- Cranberry Jalapeno Cream Cheese Dip Recipe
- Smoked Salmon Dip Recipe
- Jalapeno Popper Dip Recipe
- King Ranch Chicken Dip Recipe
- Check out ALL our Dips and Spreads!
Cajun Hot Shrimp Dip Recipe (with Cream Cheese)
- 1 pound small raw shrimp (popcorn shrimp for less chopping)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 whole red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (Creole seasoning)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-2 teaspoons Louisiana hot sauce (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Then set a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat.
- Add the butter, chopped bell pepper, chopped onion, and garlic in the skillet. Sauté for 3-5 minutes to soften.
- If using “popcorn” shrimp there is no need to chop it. However, if you are using larger shrimp, roughly chop into small ½ inch pieces. (Small enough to scoop up on crackers.)
- Once the vegetables are softened, add the shrimp and Cajun seasoning. Sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the cream cheese, mayonnaise, cheddar cheese, ¼ cup parmesan cheese, scallions, lemon juice, and hot sauce. Stir until the cream cheese, and shredded cheese melts into a thick sauce. Turn off the heat.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining ¼ cup parmesan cheese. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the edges are bubbly. Serve warm with crackers, tortilla chips, potato chips, or cut vegetables.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!