These crunchy Low Carb Cauliflower Crackers are amazingly gluten free, grain free, paleo, and vegan to fit into any diet. So tasty, you won’t even miss the grains!
Jump in on the cauliflower craze with wholesome Low Carb Cauliflower Crackers!
Are you looking for a healthy alternative to highly processed snacks filled with carbs, grains, fats, sugars and preservatives, or do you just like trying new recipes?
Either way, these Low Carb Cauliflower Crackers are a toasty, nutty, vegetable-based cracker that are in fact grain free, dairy free, sugar free, and vegan.
There are probably a few other “frees” in there that I forgot to mention as well.
Low Carb Cauliflower Crackers are a crispy, crunchy, surprising treat. They are a taste and texture all their own.
Don’t be mistaken, these little crackers are no sub-par substitute for those commercially manufactured, highly addictive tidbits. They are their own entity that couldn’t possibly masquerade as anything else.
Yes, Low Carb Cauliflower Crackers unapologetically taste like cauliflower, and the seeds, spices, and other ingredients that they are actually made from.
(Wow, what a concept!)
How to Make Low Carb Cauliflower Crackers
I must tell you right now that this recipe is not for the faint of heart. After all, it takes a bit of manipulation to transform a vegetable that is 92 percent water into distinctively delectable crackling morsels that in no way resemble their original constituents.
Don’t let that detour you, if I can do it so can you! A little steaming, a little chopping, a bit of squeezing, mixing and toasting, that doesn’t sound too hard now, does it? It is nothing you can’t handle.
There is no microwaving in this recipe. I have seen many versions of cauliflower crackers that tell you to microwave the cauliflower. Why?
I wanted to create a healthy nourishing and digestible cracker, therefore no microwaving.
Coconut flour, flax, and chia seeds offer nutrients, flavor, and are the binding force to the mix. Baking alone will not produce the desired crunch.
We must also make sure the crackers are dried to perfection. Allowing them to rest in a warm oven for a while will do just that.
Our Low Carb Cauliflower Crackers will disappear quickly so you may want to double or triple the batch while you’re at it!
Low Carb Cauliflower Crackers
- 1 head of cauliflower, 1 pound
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- Wash, clean, and cut the cauliflower into chunks, Place in a steamer basket in a large pot with 1-2 inches of water. Cover with a lid, bring the ,water to a boil and steam for 3-5 minutes.
- Cool the cauliflower, then chop in a food processor to small even pieces. Place the cauliflower in a cheese cloth or flour sack towel and squeeze out most of the liquid.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Roll out the mixture between 2 sheets of parchment paper, to 1/8 - 1/4inch thick, forming it into a large rectangle.
- Remove the top sheet of parchment. Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned, cover with another baking sheet and flip the pan over. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Turn off the oven.
- Cut into crackers with a knife or pizza cutter. Place the crackers back in the oven, and allow them to slowly cool and dry until the oven is just barely warm and the chips are crisp, 1-2 hours.
NOTES: If in a hurry, buy frozen steamed riced cauliflower. Allow it to thaw and start from the squeezing process. Store in an air tight container.