Low Carb Chicken Mushroom Soup
Low Carb Chicken Mushroom Soup – A ketogenic recipe with hearty chunks of protein and a silky broth. This cozy blend of chicken, vegetables, herbs, and cheese is light, lean, and totally addictive!
The Flavors of Fall
When you think of autumn flavors, what comes to mind? Apples? Pumpkins?
To me, mushrooms are the purest flavor of fall.
Recipes that are mushroom-heavy offer an intense rustic depth that cannot be replicated by any other ingredient.
In fact, quite often when I taste a dish and feel like it’s missing something, it’s that underlying umami essence we find so abundantly in mushrooms.
Today’s recipe, Low Carb Chicken Mushroom Soup, is chock-full of umami goodness!
It’s creamy, chunky, robust, and subtle… All in the same bowl.
Plus, it’s packed with protein and very low in carbs. (You can even make a ketogenic version with just a couple of small tweaks!)
Mushroom Soup Ingredients
- Unsalted Butter
- Sweet Onion
- Chopped Celery
- Garlic Cloves
- Sliced Mushrooms
- Fresh Chopped Rosemary
- Dried Thyme
- Dry Sherry
- Boneless Chicken Breast
- Chicken Broth
- Heavy Cream
- Cornstarch (or Arrowroot for Ketogenic)
- Chopped Parsley
- Salt and Pepper
How To Make This Mushroom Soup Recipe
- Start by placing the butter in the soup pot and then add the onions, celery, and garlic. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms to the mixture, along with the rosemary and thyme. After sautéing the mushrooms, deglaze the pot with dry sherry.
- Add in the whole chicken breasts, the chicken broth, salt and pepper. Then simmer them in the broth. Wait until the chicken is fully cooked then take it out and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the cornstarch to the cream and whisk until there are no clumps. A generous splash of heavy cream gives the mushroom and chicken soup a luxurious finish.
- Then add in the chopped chicken and parsley. Season to taste.
Get The Full (Printable) Recipe Below For How To Make Low Carb Chicken Mushroom Soup.
Soup Cooking Tips
When I make chicken soup, I like to poach whole chicken breasts right in the broth. This not only gives the chicken broth a richer flavor, but it also protects the chicken from overcooking.
Also, cooked chicken is easier to cut into chunks than raw chicken. So you simply pull the cooked breasts out of the soup with tongs. Chop up the pieces. Then throw the chicken chunks back into the soup.
The cream provides enough fat to balance the Low Carb Creamy Chicken Mushroom Soup’s macros so it’s perfect for a ketogenic diet.
Although this Low Carb Chicken Mushroom Soup recipe is not dairy-free, it still tastes delightful if you leave the dairy out.
Of course, the broth is then thinner, and the soup is no longer “ketogenic.” Yet it is still low carb, high protein, and tantalizing to the tastebuds!
Frequently Asked Questions
What does “deglaze” mean?
Deglazing means to pour liquid into a pan and let the simmering liquid help to loosen and lift the crusty particles on the bottom of the pan. You usually move the contents around with a wooden spoon to help the process along. This not only keeps the particles on the bottom of the pan from burning, but it also intensifies the flavor soup.
Can this be made in a crockpot?
Yes, absolutely! Just be sure to sauté all the vegetables on the stovetop before placing them in the slow cooker. Slow cook on low for 4-6 hours. Then add the cream mixture and slow cook another 30-60 minutes to thicken.
What can I use instead of sherry?
The sherry does a LOT for the flavor of this soup. It is the perfect complement to mushrooms. However, it is not absolutely necessary. You can find small bottles of cooking sherry at the grocery store. If you want to take it out, add in extra broth instead.
Can this soup be frozen?
Yes. It freezes well and will last in the freezer for up to 6 months. Just make sure to rewarm the soup at room temperature before reheating, then heat on medium-low so the cream doesn’t separate.
How long does it keep in the fridge?
This soup can keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 to 6 days.
More Healthy Chicken Soup Recipes
- Best Detox Chicken Soup Recipe
- Skinny Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe
- Greek Lemon Chicken Soup Recipe
- Lean Green Chicken Soup Recipe
- Thai Chicken Soup Recipe
- Cream Lemon Chicken Soup with Spinach Recipe
- Creamy Parmesan Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe
- Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Low Carb Creamy Chicken Mushroom Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 5-6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 18 ounces sliced mushrooms, mixed varieties
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (or arrowroot for ketogenic)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Add the butter to a large 6-8 quart soup pot and set over medium heat. Once melted add the onions, celery, and garlic.
- Sauté for 2-3 minutes, then add in the mushrooms, rosemary, and thyme. Sauté until the mushrooms soften and cook down.
- Deglaze the pot with dry sherry. Then add in the whole chicken breasts, chicken broth, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Bring to a boil. Then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the chicken breasts have cooked though.
- When the chicken is fully cooked, remove the breasts with tongs, and chop into bite-size pieces.
- Whisk the cornstarch into the heavy cream, making sure there are no clumps. Then whisk the heavy cream into the soup pot and allow it to simmer and thicken. Stir the chopped chicken back into the soup and add the parsley. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!