Lean Green Chicken Soup
Healthy Lean Green Chicken Soup Recipe, a veggie-packed ultra low carb meal that is also dairy free, gluten free, grain free, paleo, ketogenic… And delicious!
Go Green this season with Lean Green Chicken Soup.
This soup pot is brimming with a bounty of garden vegetables. A vibrant medley of fresh life-giving greens and chicken will nourish, invigorate, and cleanse you as it satisfies your appetite.
Who doesn’t benefit from a good spring cleaning?
Actually, these ingredients should be available any time of year. Chicken soup is an essential comfort food. This variation is light, flavorful, and nutritious.
Lean Green Chicken Soup is a refreshing change to other soups, in that it is not weighed down with pastas, grains, potatoes or dairy. Yet it is rich on flavors and sustenance.
Leafy greens are abundant, as are more toothsome greens and savory bites of chicken. We often begin a soup by sautéing a mirepoix of aromatics. However, this Lean Green Chicken Soup differs somewhat in that we approach this recipe more like a hot pot.
Therfore, no oil or fat is added other than what is naturally in the chicken.
We begin with the broth.
Each constituent is added according to its cooking time, lengthiest to shortest. Simmering the chicken in the broth is a smart way to cook it and retain all of its lovely juices.
What’s the Difference Between Chicken Broth or Stock
A broth is made from the meat and a stock from the bones, usually roasted. Furthermore, a broth is lighter in color and flavors, while stock has a darker color and richer flavor.
Should you use stock or broth in this recipe? Either will do with slightly differing results.
Bone Broth is another excellent option, made from bones simmered for a long time, rich in vitamins and minerals. All three of these chicken elixirs are easy to make at home or may be purchased pre-made.
With Lean Green Chicken Soup the tender leaves and herbs are stirred in right at the end to release their freshness.
Serve up a big steaming bowl and enjoy!
More Healthy Chicken Soup Recipes
Lean Green Chicken Soup
- 2 quarts chicken broth or stock
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cups green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups peas, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces, tops and middles (avoid tough ends)
- 1 cup diced green onions
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, chopped and packed
- 1 bunch watercress, chopped with large stems removed
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pour the chicken broth in a large pot, and set over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts and bring to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the celery, green beans, peas, asparagus, onions, garlic, salt and pepper. Simmer for 5-10 minutes until tender, then remove from heat.
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred with two forks or chop into bite sized pieces. Return to the pot.
- Stir in the spinach, watercress, parsley and basil. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!