Easy Garlic Bread
Why We Love Homemade Garlic Bread
To me, garlic bread is the “tall, dark, and handsome” of the food world. Totally irresistible.
Homemade Garlic Bread is an appealing dish that relaxes and comforts you. It’s there when you need it… Or at least could be in about 15 minutes. It accepts you the way you are.
Ok, maybe I’m getting carried away, just a little.
Yet you have to agree, a simple garlic bread recipe is honest, soothing, and reliable.
I mean, seriously. If we get right down to it, “bread, butter, and garlic” beats “tall, dark, and handsome” any day of the week.
I took a poll… 100% of women agree with me. *wink*
Why Should I Make Garlic Bread From Scratch?
I know what you’re thinking…
With all the pre-made fresh and frozen garlic bread products at the grocery store, why should you buy a loaf of bakery bread and make this easy garlic bread recipe from scratch?
BECAUSE IT TASTES BETTER.
Homemade garlic bread is almost as fast to make as unwrapping a frozen package of garlic bread, yet you have total quality control.
All-Time Favorite Recipe
In all seriousness, there’s a reason why we all love cheesy made-from-scratch garlic bread so much. Actually, lots of reasons.
Homemade Garlic Bread Is…
- A quick side dish to prep and bake
- Easy to adjust to your own preferences
- Goes with everything
- Tastes like heaven
- Is picky-eater approved
- And always disappears
Plus, you can add a little cheese to the buttery spread, or a lot of cheese, to make it full-on garlic cheese bread.
I love the cheesy garlic bread recipe I’m sharing with you today, because it’s been our family recipe for years. This is the garlic bread recipe I copied into my newlywed cooking journal.
It was amazing then, and it’s just as amazing now.
Best Garlic Bread Recipe Ingredients
So when you write out your shopping list this week, here’s what to add so you can make the best garlic bread you’ve ever tasted…
- Large Fluffy Bread Loaf – Not a skinny baguette. But any sort of large french bread or italian bread would work.
- Butter – Obviously.
- Parmesan Cheese – I like to mix some shaved parmesan into the butter and shmear it over the bread to create a unique thin cheesy crust.
- Olive Oil – To make the butter easy to spread.
- Fresh Garlic – Use lots of freshly minced garlic.
- Fresh Herbs – You need 2 tablespoons, but you can use any fresh herbs you like. I usually go with thyme, parsley, rosemary and/or basil. In a pinch, you can also use dried Italian seasoning.
- Salt and pepper – To enhance all the other flavors.
How To Make The Best Garlic Bread
Ready to get started? You won’t believe how easy this is!
- Cut. Use a serrated knife to cut the bread loaf in half.
- Mix. Mash the butter, parmesan, herbs, and olive oil together until smooth.
- Smear. Spread the butter mixture over the bread.
- Bake. Pop in the oven until it’s golden-brown.
Get The Full (Printable) Cheesy Garlic Bread Recipe Below!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Any Herbs I Like?
Of course! Use the fresh herbs you have growing in the garden, or what you love best. Just chop, mix, and measure out 2 tablespoons.
I always use parsley and thyme, then sometimes add in rosemary and/or basil.
If using dried herbs, reduce to 2 teaspoons.
Can I Make Gluten-Free and/or Dairy-Free Garlic Bread
Sure! Look for a large uncut loaf of gluten-free bread.
Then use vegan butter spread in place of regular butter. You can substitute shredded vegan cheese or omit it.
Can I Prep Garlic Bread Ahead And Bake It Later?
Absolutely! You can prep, wrap well, and refrigerate the bread for up to a week. then bake when ready to use.
Can I Freeze Garlic Bread?
Yes. After prepping the bread, wrap it well before freezing. Then unwrap and bake for 10-12 minutes.
How Long Does Garlic Bread Last?
In my house, less than one hour.
However, if you do happen to have leftover pieces, you can wrap and refrigerate them for 3-5 days. Then rewarm in the oven.
More Simple Side Dishes
- Cheesy Broccoli Cornbread
- Cinnamon Drop Biscuits
- Garlic Cheddar Biscuits
- Baked Turnip Fries
- Best Sauteed Mushrooms Ever
- Instant Pot Baked Beans
- See all our side dishes!
Easy Garlic Bread Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Set out a large baking sheet.
- Cut the loaf of bread in half, parallel to the cutting board. Lay both pieces of bread cut-side-up on the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix the softened butter, parmesan cheese, olive oil, minced garlic, herbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Smash and mix until well combined.
- Spread a thick even layer of the garlic butter over the top of each piece of bread. Spread it all the way to the edges, and use it all!
- Bake on the center rack for 8 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges. Immediately cut and serve the garlic bread.