Gourmet Grilled Cheese
How To Make Gourmet Grilled Cheese: Learn a few tricks to take your mediocre grilled cheese to grilled cheese euphoria… In about 5 minutes!
Classic to Gourmet, the Easy Way
A classic American grilled cheese sandwich is something we can all relate to.
We’ve all had killer grilled cheese sandwiches that inspire foodie dreams for weeks, and we’ve all had some that were just okay.
In today’s recipe, I’m going to share a few tricks that will make your grilled cheese go from classic and boring to gourmet and spectacular!
Perfect Grilled Cheese Tips
- Use good bread. Plain white sandwich bread is alright, but if you want an awesome grilled cheese sandwich, start with awesome bread. Sourdough, rustic Italian, brioche, and pumpernickel are my favorites for grilled cheese.
- Use more than one cheese. I like to combine three cheeses to create a well-rounded cheesy flavor. Single cheese sandwiches tend to taste flat.
- Start with room temperature ingredients. Your cheese will melt much more evenly if your bread and cheeses aren’t cold when you put them on the griddle. Lay them out ahead of time for optimal results.
- Less is not more. Ok, sometimes less IS more, but not when it comes to grilled cheese. Cut your bread in thick 1/2 inch slices and don’t be skimpy with the butter or cheese. Whether using slices or shredded cheese, add enough so the hot molten cheese will ooze out when you take a bite!
More Tips for Gourmet Grilled Cheese
- Add fresh herbs. Everything tastes better with fresh herbs! If you’ve got a little thyme, basil, or rosemary in the fridge, sprinkle some on top of the cheese before covering.
- Butter the griddle, not the bread. Buttering the griddle (or skillet) instead of the slices of bread does two things. It eliminates the gouge marks from trying to spread hard butter on soft bread. Second, it toasts the bread without a greasy over-saturation from the butter and cheese. That means your bread will remain soft and dry on the inside with a golden toasted crust, instead of creating two greasy sponges with cheese in the middle.
- Grill over medium heat. Grilling your grilled cheese over medium heat (about 350 degrees F) allows the cheese to melt, without burning the bread. Golden bread + melted cheese = great grilled cheese
- Cover when grilling the first slice. I like to use a metal bowl or skillet to cover the sandwiches when I’m grilling the first slice of bread. (Or use a lid if cooking in a skillet, instead of on a griddle.) By covering the sandwich, you’re capturing the heat and helping the cheese to melt all the way through, without over-browning the bread. Once the first side is golden-brown, remove the cover and grill the second side without it, so the toasted bread will stay crisp.
If you follow these steps, you should be able to cook your grilled cheese sandwich for 2-4 minutes per side and end up with golden grilled cheese perfection!
Gourmet Grilled Cheese Ingredients
- Sourdough Bread, Brioche, or Rustic Italian Bread (Even Pumpernickel is great!)
- Muenster Cheese
- White Cheddar Cheese
- Smoke Gouda Cheese
Check in the FAQ section for more great cheese pairing ideas!
How To Make Grilled Cheese
- On medium heat, put the butter on the griddle or pan. Allow the butter to melt and cover the surface of the pan.
- Place the bread on top of the melted butter and then layer your cheeses on top. Sprinkle the chopped parsley on top of the cheese and top with another piece of bread. Then cover with another pan or the lid to the pan for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the lid or pan to flip the sandwich on the other side, making sure to coat the other side of the bread with the melted butter and cover again with the lid. Let cook for another 2 minutes.
- Take off the lid and take the grilled cheese off of the heat and serve warm!
Get The Full (Printable) Recipe Below For How To Make Baked Breaded Chicken Cutlets.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there any other cheese combinations that would taste good?
Yes, there are so many different pairs that you can do which would create endless possibilities when it comes to making an amazing grilled cheese.
You could also try:
- Monterey Jack, Sharp (or Mild) Cheddar
- American, Pepper Jack, and Swiss
- Cream Cheese, Emmentaler, and Sharp Cheddar
- Goat Cheese, Havarti, and Pecorino
- Fontina, Provolone, and Parmesan
Other Great Sandwiches
- Pimento Granny Smith Grilled Cheese Recipe
- Grilled Cheese Chop Salad with Apple Vinaigrette Recipe
- Baked Reuben Party Sandwiches
- Best Maine Lobster Roll Recipe
- New Orleans Muffuletta Sandwich Recipe
- Grilled French Onion Steak Sliders Recipe
Gourmet Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices Sourdough Bread
- 1-2 tablespoon Butter
- 2 Slices Muenster Cheese
- 2 Slices White Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Slices Smoked Gouda Cheese
- 1 Sprig Fresh Parsley (minced)
- Preheat a griddle or a large nonstick skillet. Set to medium heat and place the butter on the griddle (or in the skillet) to melt. Finely chop the parsley.
- Once the butter melts, make sure to spread it evenly around the pan and place two slices of bread on top of the butter. Add on all the cheeses onto the bread and sprinkle the top with parsley. Top with the other pieces of bread and then cover the grilled cheese with a lid or another pan to trap in the heat. (To steam the cheese and help it cook all the way through.)
- Let each side cook for about 2 minutes. Making sure that when you flip the sandwiches, you move the second slices of bread around in the melted butter.
- Once the bread is golden-brown and the cheese is melted, take the sandwiches off the heat and serve them up warm!
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!