Light and cozy Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup, a lighter version of a beloved classic comfort dish!
We are deep into our fall routine.
The kids have settled in school. We are outside as often as possible, enjoying the crisp fall weather and turning leaves. We hike. We wear hoodies. We pick apples. We start the occasional fire in the fire pit.
We make soup.
There is nothing, nothing, as comforting as walking into the house after a long day to the wafting aroma of chicken soup.
My family deserves that at least once a week, in my opinion. Pure cozy goodness to relax the mind and sooth the soul.
Today’s Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup is a health-ified version of a heavier cream-based soup.
I haven’t removed the essential elements that make it special such as tender chicken, hearty cheese tortellini, and even a little cream. I’ve just reduced certain ingredients, so you can feel good about serving this Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup to your family.
And maybe even having seconds.
I used plenty of fresh veggies and herbs, boneless skinless chicken breasts, and DeLallo Three Cheese Tortellini found in the dried pasta section of your grocery store.
I am partial to DeLallo products because they take such care in making sure they import and produce the very best Italian foods in the country.
Starting from humble beginnings, selling Italian imports from the back of a truck, this family business has grown into the true American dream. The grandchildren now carry on mom and dad’s vision with a DeLallo Store in Jeanette, Pennsylvania and DeLallo products sold in supermarkets from coast to coast.
I just love that!
DeLallo just launched a beautiful new website to make it easy to discover their vast array of grocery items, and where you can find them.
Make sure to check it out! You will receive an additional 10% off your DeLallo order when you use the coupon code SPICY10 from now through the end of November 2016.
I stay stocked up on DeLallo olives, olive oil, pasta, and tomatoes. This dried tortellini is a marvelous pantry item, because it allows to you to keep rich luxurious tortellini on hand all the time.
Adding it to this Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup gives it the extra something that makes it a true fall favorite.
This Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup is quick and easy to make, yet offers so much wow-factor, your family will ask for it again and again!
Want to find out more about DeLallo Foods?
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by DeLallo Foods. All Italian-loving opinions are my own.
Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 1 tablespoon, extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, 2 large breasts
- 9 cups chicken broth
- 8.8 ounce package, DeLallo Three-Cheese Tortellini Pasta
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons packed frozen spinach 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Place a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil and chopped onions. Saute for 3 minutes to soften. Then add the chopped bell pepper, carrots, and garlic. Saute another 3 minutes.
- Add whole chicken breasts, chicken broth, dried thyme, crushed red pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper to the pot. Bring to a simmer. Lower the heat a little and simmer 15 minutes, until the chicken in cooked through. Remove the chicken and place on a cutting board.
- Turn the heat back to medium. With the broth still simmering, stir in the DeLallo Three Cheese Tortellini. Stir well so it doesn't stick together. Then chop or shred the chicken and place back in the soup.
- Once the tortellini is cooked through, about 10-14 minutes, turn off the heat. Stir in 1/4 cup heavy cream, spinach, and parsley. Add a little more cream if desired. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed.