Healthy herbaceous Italian Chicken Orzo Soup made with loads of veggies and fresh basil!
We are a chicken soup family.
I can make any variety of chicken soup and my family will ooooh and ahhhh when they come to the table. Sometimes I make asian style chicken soups. Sometimes I make creamy chicken soups with potatoes.
However my favorite versions are those that are just a slight variation from classic chicken noodle soup. Brothy soups that offer veggies, herbs, pasta, and of course tender chicken mingled throughout.
Last year I shared my Greek Lemon Chicken Soup recipe with you fitting this category. It’s bright and tangy with lemon zest and feta cheese.
However, I love today’s Italian Chicken Orzo Soup just as much, and I think you will too!
Ultra cozy Italian Chicken Orzo Soup offers the appeal of classic chicken noodle… Chicken, pasta, onions, celery, and carrots.
However, it has a bolder herbaceous flavor from the generous addition of garlic, dried Italian Herb Seasoning, and fresh basil leaves.
I also prefer the small orzo pasta that fits neatly in a spoon, instead of long noodles that have to be swirled again and again in order to safely make the trip to your mouth.
Italian Chicken Orzo Soup is so comforting and delicious, it’s a meal we could eat every week. Maybe every day.
I love making a large pot of soup knowing I’ll have leftovers the next day. It’s a great lunch to take in a thermos now that the weather is cooling off.
Our Italian Chicken Orzo Soup is made with fresh healthy ingredients. You can easily substitute whole grain or even gluten free pasta to suit your diet.
You are going to love this!
Italian Chicken Orzo Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian Seasoning
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dried orzo pasta (could use whole grain or gluten-free pasta)
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Place the butter, onions, and garlic in a large sauce pot, and set over medium heat. Saute the onions for 3 minutes to soften. Then stir in the carrots, celery, Italian Seasoning, and 1 teaspoon salt. Saute another 3-5 minutes.
- Add whole chicken breasts to the pot. Pour in the broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set on a cutting board. Add the orzo to the soup and stir well so it doesn't stick. Chop or shred the chicken into bite-size pieces, then return to the pot.
- When ready to serve, taste, then season with salt and pepper as needed. Stir in the fresh basil leaves and parmesan cheese. Ladle into bowls and serve warm!