How to Make Italian Seasoning
How to Make Italian Seasoning – This homemade Italian seasoning recipe takes only a handful of dried herbs, and a few minutes to make. You won’t believe how easy it is to whip up a batch of this zesty spice blend from scratch!
Easy Homemade Italian Seasoning
Italian-inspired dishes are some of our favorites, especially to make at home.
These recipes typically are delicious carb-heavy noodles covered in a hearty, flavorful sauce. And that flavor-rich sauce usually features a generous portion of zesty and potent Italian Seasoning. A great Italian spice blend includes just the right combination of key dried herbs, many of which are common to have on hand. Should you find yourself trying to make Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Shells or Baked Spaghetti Pie and realize you don’t have a jar of Italian Seasoning herb blend in the pantry, this easy “recipe” is perfect for quickly whipping up a batch with dried herbs you have in the kitchen!
What Ingredients are in Italian Seasoning?
These are the dried herbs you need to make the best basic homemade Italian Seasoning Recipe:
- Oregano – Earthy and a little peppery
- Marjoram – Light, sweet, and slightly floral
- Basil – Delicate sweet licorice flavor
- Thyme – Robust mint and lemon essence
- Rosemary – Strong and piney
- Sage – Vibrant pine and eucalyptus notes
But you can definitely change up the flavor and include other ingredients in your homemade Italian spice blend. That’s the beauty of a made from scratch herb mix… You can make it exactly how you like it!
You can adjust the ingredients to be heavier on herbs you love and reduce (or omit) those you aren’t as fond of.
Also try adding:
- Crushed red pepper – For a hint of spiciness
- Garlic powder – To include extra Italian-inspired flavor
- Onion powder – Adds a wonderfully earthy sharp taste
- Dried lemon zest – Great for bright, citrus-forward dishes like this Creamy Lemon Chicken Soup recipe
- Salt and pepper – Include these for a complete ready-to-go seasoning for your dishes
How to Make the Best Italian Seasoning Blend from Scratch
It really is as easy as 1-2-3 to prepare your own dried Italian seasoning.
Here’s how to make a flavorful blend in less than 5 minutes:
- Set out a small bowl or jar.
- Measure and add all of the dried herbs into the jar. Stir to mix.
- Cover and keep your homemade Italian spice blend at room temperature.
Get the Complete (Printable) Homemade Italian Seasoning Blend Recipe Below + VIDEO. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Do Homemade Spice Blends Last?
This Italian herb blend will last as long as any dried herb, as long as you don’t add moisture to it.
For optimum freshness, store seasonings and spices in an airtight container and keep in a cool dry place.
Why Make A Homemade Seasoning?
This is a great way to add extra flavoring to all your recipes and dishes. You also have a lot more control in what goes into your spice blends when you create your own.
You can also save money by using dried herbs you already have to make your own blend!
What Other Recipes Can I Make with Italian Seasoning?
You can use this homemade Italian spice blend in so many delicious dishes! Give it a try whenever you have a recipe that calls for dried Italian herbs.
Some of our favorites include:
- Cheesy Garlic Pull-Apart Bread
- Healthy Baked Zucchini Tots
- The Best Italian Pasta Salad Recipe
- Instant Pot Italian Beef
- Zesty Gyros with Homemade Lamb Gyro Meat
- Magic Vegan Meatballs
I hope you enjoy making your own Italian Seasoning blend from scratch!
Looking for More Homemade Seasoning Blend & Condiment Recipes?
- Best Ever Blackened Seasoning Recipe
- Roasted Garam Masala Recipe
- The Best Steak Seasoning Recipe
- Easy Adobo Seasoning Recipe
- Chipotle Corn Salsa Recipe with Roasted Corn
- Hella Jalapeno Jelly Recipe (Hot Pepper Jelly!)
- Best Easy Remoulade Sauce Recipe
- Magic All-Purpose Cashew Cream Recipe
- The Easiest Candied Orange Peel Recipe
How to Make Italian Seasoning
- Set out a small bowl or jar. Measure and add all the dried herbs into the jar.
- Stir to mix. Cover and keep at room temperature.
- Crushed red pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Dried Lemon Zest
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!