What’s the Difference Between Blackened Seasoning, Cajun Seasoning, and Creole Spice?
All three spice blends fall under the same category with standard base ingredients, like paprika, pepper, garlic, and onion powder.
However, Cajun Seasoning tends to be the spiciest, while Creole seasoning often has a variety of herbs mixed in.
My rule of thumb: When in doubt, go with Blackened Seasoning, a spice blend that tends to fall directly in the middle.
What Is Blackened Seasoning Made Of?
A good Blackening Spice Blend offers a bit of heat, herbaceous notes, and a whole lot of depth.
These tempting undertones come from paprika, garlic, onions, and salt. However, my “secret ingredient” so to speak, is smoked paprika. The smoky essence of smoked paprika takes our Best Ever Blackened Seasoning to the next level.
It makes everything you sprinkle it on taste like fireworks in your mouth.
What Can I Season With Blackened Seasoning?
Use our Best Ever Blackened Seasoning on chicken, fish, steaks, and grilled vegetables.
You can also use it to season soups, chilis, dips and spreads, party mix, rice, even scrambled eggs and bacon!
I can’t think of a single savory dish that wouldn’t be improved by this dazzling little concoction.
How To Make The Best Ever Blackened Seasoning
- Simply dump smoked paprika, onions powder, sea salt, garlic powder, black pepper, dried thyme, oregano, and cayenne pepper in a small jar.
- Stir to blend.
- Store the spice blend in an airtight container and keep it in a cool dry place. It will last just as long as all your other spices.
The beauty of making spice blends at home is the element of personalization. If you want a little more heat, add more cayenne pepper.
If you want a little more herby sweetness, add more thyme of a touch of dried basil.
Make it Today
You can lower the sodium, make large batches, and you will most definitely save money this way.
Most likely, you have all these spices in your pantry right now! Your seafood (and family) will thank you!
See the recipe card below to give our Best Ever Blackened Seasoning a try this summer.
other recipes you might like:
- The Best Steak Seasoning Recipe
- Baked White Fish with Everything Bagel Crust
- Texas Style Oven Brisket Recipe
- Chilaquiles Recipe with Marinated Skirt Steak
- Pressure Cooker Spiced Apples
- Pumpkin Spice Kettle Corn
- Chinese 5 Spice Shrimp with Coconut Rice
- Hummingbird Blondies
Best Ever Blackened Seasoning
- Measure and dump all the herbs and spices in a jar and stir to combine.
- Use immediately, or cover and store in a dark dry place.