Halloumi Fries (Air Fryer or Baked)
How to Make Halloumi Fries – Tender, crispy, and melty fried halloumi cheese sticks are a snap to make in the air fryer or oven! You can pair these Mediterranean mozzarella sticks with zesty dipping sauces for a satisfying snack or appetizer.
Why We Love This Easy Air Fryer Recipe
These easy Air Fryer Halloumi Fries make the most amazing quickie cheese sticks. With only 4 simple ingredients!
Tender pieces of slightly sweet and salty halloumi are lightly breaded with flour and seasonings, without any egg wash or binder needed. Place them in the air frying basket and give a lil’ spray of cooking oil, and cook for less than 10 minutes. Then try your best to let them cool at least for a minute or two (trust me, it will be hard to wait) before dunking them into your favorite dipping sauces.
No air fryer? No problem! Halloumi fries are easy to bake in the oven, too.
What is Halloumi?
Halloumi is a classic cheese originally from the Mediterranean region around Greece. Traditionally it is made with goat or sheep’s milk, but sometimes cow’s milk is also used.
Why is halloumi cheese great for grilling and cooking?
The texture of halloumi is firm and stretchy, without being too melty. It holds up great to being cooked at high heat!
If you can’t find halloumi, look for other cheese varieties often labeled grilling cheese.
4 Ingredients You Need
These fried halloumi sticks only require four ingredients! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Halloumi cheese – 1 package per every 4 servings
- All-purpose flour – can be gluten-free, if preferred
- Garlic powder – a great hit of savory flavor to balance the slightly sweet and salty fried halloumi
- Oil cooking spray – high heat and neutral flavored
Want to spice things up? Add a dash of cayenne pepper to the flour mixture!
How to Make Fried Halloumi
First, set out a medium bowl. Combine the flour and garlic powder. Mix well.
Place the block of halloumi on a cutting board. Slice into ¼ – ½ inch thick fries, roughly 18 cheese sticks.
Preheat the air fryer to 400°F. Toss the halloumi fries in the flour mixture.
Get the Complete (Printable) Air Fryer Holloumi Cheese Sticks Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Place in a single layer in the air fryer. Lightly spray the tops of the fries with cooking oil spray.
Air fry for 7-9 minutes, without flipping.
How to Bake Halloumi Cheese Sticks
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Toss the halloumi fries in the flour mixture. Spread the halloumi fries out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Then spray the tops of the fries with cooking oil spray.
Bake for approximately 20 minutes until golden.
Tips & Tricks
- Dice up the fries and place them on top of your favorite salads for a crunchy and creamy topping!
- Keep enough space in between each fry in the air fryer or oven so that they can really crisp up! If fries are touching each other, they won’t get crispy.
- To prep these fries ahead of time, bread the halloumi sticks and place on a baking sheet and leave in the fridge. Then once you are ready to serve, just pop them into the oven or place in the air fryer.
Warm, crisp, and cheesy halloumi fries are perfect to dip in any of your favorite bold and flavorful sauces! Try them with:
- Marinara sauce
- Caesar dressing or blue cheese dressing
- Pesto sauce
- Tzatziki sauce
- Southern comeback sauce
Frequently Asked Questions
What do halloumi sticks taste like?
Think of the best fried cheese sticks you’ve had… Boom, they taste just like that! Lightly crisp on the outside, slightly melty but not too soft or stringy on the inside, and deliciously flavorful.
Can I substitute halloumi for another cheese?
If you can’t find halloumi, paneer would be a good replacement! Paneer is a more mild cheese made of cow’s milk but it would hold up in the air fryer without melting too much and would be delicious!
Are halloumi sticks healthy?
Are they healthy? Well, no. But are they healthier than traditional deep-fried cheese sticks? Yes, definitely! Cooking in the air fryer or oven baking uses just a teeny tiny bit of oil, so these halloumi fries are crispy without being greasy and soggy.
How long does it take to cook halloumi in the air fryer?
They only air fry for 7-9 minutes total, with no need to flip.
How do you make gluten-free halloumi fries?
Swap regular all-purpose flour with your preferred gluten-free blend to easily make this a GF-friendly recipe.
How long do leftovers last?
Leftover halloumi fries will keep well for up to a day or two in the fridge. Let them cool completely and transfer to an airtight container… You don’t want them to dry out!
Reheat in the air fryer for just a few minutes to get the cheese sticks warm and crisp again.
Looking for More Easy Finger Food Recipes?
- Air Fryer Jicama Fries (Baked or Air Fried)
- Crispy Air Fryer Toasted Ravioli
- Chorizo and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- Cheater Potato Arancini Recipe
- Sausage Roll Crazy Bread
Halloumi Fries (Air Fryer or Baked)
- Set out a medium bowl. Combine the flour and garlic powder. Mix well.
- Place the block of halloumi cheese on a cutting board. Slice into ¼ – ½ inch thick fries.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F. Toss the halloumi fries in the flour mixture. Place in a single layer in the air fryer. Spray the tops of the fries with cooking oil spray. Air fry for 7-9 minutes, without flipping.
- In the oven: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Toss the halloumi fries in the flour mixture. Spread the halloumi fries out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Spray the tops of the fries with cooking oil spray. Bake for approximately 20 minutes until golden.