A cozy retro dinner your family will love! Today’s Baked Spaghetti Pie Recipe is a throwback to potlucks and Sunday suppers.
The first time I ever made a Baked Spaghetti Pie was in 1994. I remember the year specifically, because I had just graduated from high school and entered a pre-college internship for a year.
My boss had a really sweet family. After work I would occasionally babysit his kids and help his wife Lynn around the house.
She was pregnant with their fourth child and was trying to prep a freezer full of meals before she gave birth, to make it easier to feed the family once the baby came.
One Saturday I spent the entire day helping her turn freshly-picked apples into gallons of homemade apple sauce, making sausage and potato casseroles in foil pans, and making multiple baked spaghetti pies.
I was enamored by the idea of pressing spaghetti and meat sauce into pie pans, so it could be easily frozen and rewarmed later.
Spaghetti and meat sauce is always a crowd-pleaser.
Yet, turning it into a pie offers a fun twist, and it’s pretty darn handy!
Not only can you freeze and reheat this Baked Spaghetti Pie Recipe. They are also fabulous make-and-take dinners for sick friends, family’s with new babies, and for potlucks.
Everyone is excited to get their slice of spaghetti and meat sauce. Yet it seems to create less messy hands and faces than traditional spaghetti.
Lynn told me she learned how to make her baked spaghetti pie recipe from her grandma. However, I have tweaked this recipe over the years, into a bigger Baked Spaghetti Pie with a surprise inside.
When you cut into my baked spaghetti pie recipe, you’ll find a silky layer of cream cheese!
It’s easy to multiply the recipe to make several pies at once.
If you plan to make a bounty of spaghetti pies to place in the freezer and give away, I suggest buying round or square 10 inch foil pans. Classic foil pie pans aren’t quite large enough.
You are going to love this recipe!
Baked Spaghetti Pie Recipe
Yield: 1 large pie, 8-12 pieces
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:40 minutes
- 16 ounces dried spaghetti
- 16 ounces ground beef
- 8 ounces ground Italian sausage
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-10 inch springform pan, or a 9 inch deep-dish pie pan. If using a springform pan, wrap the outside in foil to avoid leakage.
- Place a large pot of salted water over high heat to boil. In a separate saucepot, add the ground beef, sausage, onions, and garlic. Brown the meat over medium heat for about 5 minutes, breaking into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Once the meat is cooked and the onions have softened, add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir and simmer on low.
- Once the water is boiling, add the pasta and cook according to the package instructions, usually 6-9 minutes. Drain the cooked pasta.
- Separate out 2 cups of meat sauce and set aside. Add the cooked pasta to the remaining pot of meat sauce. Stir well to coat the pasta. Beat the eggs, then stir them into the spaghetti.
- Pour the spaghetti into the prepared pan. Press down to pack the pasta in the pan. Cut the cream cheese into thin slices and lay them over top of the pasta. Use a spatula to spread out the cream cheese.
- Pour the remaining meat sauce over the top of the pie. Sprinkle shredded cheese over the top. Bake for 25 minutes until the edges are crispy. Cool for at least 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
Yield: 1 large pie, 8-12 pieces, Serving Size: 12
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 467 Calories
- Total Fat: 20.6g
- Saturated Fat: 8.4g
- Cholesterol: 157mg
- Sodium: 978mg
- Carbohydrates: 40.7g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Sugar: 1.9g
- Protein: 31.1g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!