Homemade Breadsticks Recipe (Crazy Bread)
Homemade Breadsticks Recipe (Crazy Bread) – This recipe is so soft and easy to make. Try it two ways, as perfect Copycat Little Caesars Crazy Bread, OR as Olive Garden Breadsticks!
Best Homemade Breadsticks Recipe
There are times when you are in a hurry and just want to grab dinner from the freezer section of the grocery store.
Frozen breadsticks can be an easy side dish when you are in a pinch.
Yet no frozen breadstick can ever beat fresh hot homemade breadsticks in the flavor department.
Especially, when the homemade breadsticks are coated in garlic butter or parmesan cheese!
Today’s recipe is an ultra-simple, super-fast, breadstick recipe you can turn into two popular restaurant favorites… Olive Garden Breadsticks or Little Caesars Crazy Bread!
Little Caesars Crazy Bread Recipe
On any given Friday night of my childhood, my dad would bring home pizza from Little Caesars. I was always way more excited about the Crazy Bread that came along with it, than the pizza. (Or pizza pizza.)
I was recently recipe-testing a homemade version of Little Caesars’ Crazy Bread…
After testing several batches of dough, to make sure I got it just right, I happened to bite into a buttered breadstick before I rolled it in parmesan cheese.
My immediate reaction… “Wow, I just made Olive Garden Breadsticks without even realizing it!”
That’s right, Little Caesars Crazy Bread and Olive Garden Breadsticks are essentially the same things.
Both are long soft breadsticks slathered generously with garlic butter.
The only difference is that Crazy Bread is coated in parmesan cheese and served with marinara for dipping, while Olive Garden Breadsticks are served with just garlic butter on top.
Olive Garden Breadsticks Recipe
For amazing copycat Olive Garden Breadsticks, you simply make the recipe below and skip the step of rolling the breadstick in parmesan cheese.
These pillowy breadsticks are perfect to serve with pasta dishes, or of course, to make “soup and salad night” a little more exciting!
Best of all, this simple homemade breadsticks recipe is so SO easy to make.
They take very little time and effort, yet will give your family thrills at the dinner table.
P.S. It might be a good idea to make a double batch!
How to Make Easy Homemade Breadsticks
This garlic breadsticks recipe comes together so fast, it’s a shame to not give it a try.
- Active Yeast. Start by activating the dry yeast with warm water and sugar. Make sure to use water that is just warmer than room temperature, as to not kill the yeast.
- Warm Dough. By adding hot water to the flour mixture, before adding the yeast mixture, you are jump-starting the proofing, so you do not have to wait around for the dough to rise. It’s ok to use hot water here, because as it mixes with the flour it will cool a little. That way, it’s not so hot that it stops the yeast from working its magic. Yet it’s still warm enough to speed up the rise time.
- Roll Sticks. Once the dough comes together, divide it into 12 equal portions and roll the dough into long breadsticks. The dough will still be warm and does not need extra time to rise.
- Bake. For extra soft breadsticks and crazy bread, it’s important to not overbake the breadsticks. They should be just barely golden brown, so they are still tender and flexible in the middle.
- Dress. Now it’s time to decide if you want garlic breadsticks or crazy bread. Parmesan cheese makes all the difference!
Get the Full Printable Homemade Breadsticks Recipe (Crazy Bread) + VIDEO Below. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Double Or Triple the Batch?
Of course! You should be able to fit up to a triple batch in a large stand mixer. Use our “servings slider” in the recipe form below to multiply the necessary ingredients.
Can I Freeze The Leftover Breadsticks?
Yes. Make sure to thaw them at room temperature before rewarming them in the oven.
Can I Add Other Seasonings?
Absolutely! Try adding Italian Seasoning to the garlic butter. Or experiment with the herbs and spices you have on hand.
Can I Make a Dairy-Free Version Of This Breadsticks Recipe?
Yes, you can use vegan butter in place of traditional butter. Earth Balance is a good option. For crazy bread, you will need to make vegan parmesan cheese using 3 parts crushed cashews to 1 part nutritional yeast.
Can I Make a Gluten-Free Version?
Yes, but… You can use a 1-to-1 gluten-free baking mix in this recipe, instead of traditional all-purpose wheat flour. They actually taste really good! However, the texture of the breadsticks is not quite the same. It’s more crumbly and not quite as flexible.
More Bread Recipes You Will Love
- Fluffy Southern CatHead Biscuits
- Broccoli Cheese Cornbread
- Hawaiian Luau Bread
- Island Chocolate Banana Bread
- Easy Naan Recipe
- 4-Ingredient Cinnamon Toast Buns
- Navajo Fry Bread
- Sausage Roll Crazy Bread
Homemade Breadsticks Recipe (Crazy Bread)
For the Homemade Breadsticks:
For Little Caesars Crazy Bread:
For Olive Garden Breadsticks:
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt (1/4 tsp salt + 1/4 tsp garlic powder)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup lukewarm (just barely above room temperature) water with the sugar and dry active yeast. Allow the mixture to bloom (foam) for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in the bowl of an electric stand mixer add 2 cups flour and salt. Use the standard paddle attachment, not a bread hook. Turn on low and add very hot water. Mix to combine.
- Once the yeast is very foamy, pour it into the mixing bowl. Turn the mixer on and slowly add the last cup of flour. Let the mixer run until the dough is very smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Dump the dough out onto a floured work surface. It should be very soft and tacky. Cut the dough into quarters. Then cut each quarter into 3 equal pieces, to make 12 equal portions.
- Use your hands to roll each piece of dough against the counter, into a long 10-inch rope. Gently move the dough ropes onto the baking sheets, leaving room in between for expansion.
- Once all the breadsticks are rolled out, place them in the oven for 12-14 minutes.
- For Little Caesars Crazy Bread: Place the butter and garlic salt in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30-60 seconds to melt. Place the parmesan cheese in a large baking dish. Brush the garlic butter over 2-3 breadsticks at a time. Then move them to the parmesan cheese dish and shake to coat them in cheese. Move the Crazy Bread to a serving platter and repeat with the remaining breadsticks. Serve warm with marinara for dipping!
- For Olive Garden Breadsticks: Place the butter and garlic salt in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30-60 seconds to melt. Brush the garlic butter over the breadsticks and serve warm!
- To Measure the Flour: Stir the flour in the bag, then spoon it into measuring cups and level the top with a flat butter knife. For more baking help, see our 100 Best Baking Tips!
- Nutritional facts are calculated for Crazy Bread with Marinara. Olive Garden Breadsticks would be lower in calories and fat.
- This recipe is super easy to double.
- The breadsticks also freezer well after baking.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!