Hands down, The Best Sugar Cookie Recipe, we’ve ever tested! Learn How to Make Sugar Cookies that everyone will love. These little guys are light, pillowy, and packed with flavor.
I’m sharing tried-and-true recipes I’ve made dozens (even hundreds) of times, because I’ve never tasted anything better. Monday I posted the absolute best yeast roll recipe I’ve ever made, and today I’m sharing The BEST Sugar Cookie Recipe.
This is the end-all of sugar cookies, friends.
Better than your mom’s.
Better than your grandma’s, may she rest in peace.
Better than that fancy bakery down the street.
And sure as heck, better than any grocery store sugar cookie you’ve ever tasted.
The Best Sugar Cookie Recipe, is ultra light, ever so crispy around the edges, glistening with sugar crystals, and packed with a sweet vanilla-wheat flavor.
These cookies put all other sugar cookies to shame.
There’s something spectacular about a simple, yet perfect, sugar cookie. Today I’m going to show you how to make sugar cookies that will make your head spin. I bake The Best Sugar Cookie Recipe for holidays and parties regularly, and have used this recipe as a base for all sorts of sugar cookie variations.
I’ve been asked for The Best Sugar Cookie Recipe more times than I can count, always with a statement like, “These are just sugar cookies, right? OMGeeeeee. I’ve got to have the recipe.”
I found the base-recipe at least a decade ago in an old version of Cook’s Illustrated’s Best Recipe Cookbook. Over the years, I’ve tweaked it just a tad, so that now I have the absolute best sugar cookie recipe around.
How To Make Sugar Cookies… the best ones.
- Perfect sugar cookies should always have equal parts butter and sugar. The butter and sugar should be creamed together (beat on high) until the butter is lighter in color and ultra fluffy. You should be able to tell that the sugar is broken down into the butter, because it will no longer look granular. This usually takes several minutes to achieve.
- For extra light and delicate sugar cookies, sift your dry ingredients. Measure first, then sift.
- You need to use a generous amount of good quality sea salt and pure vanilla extract to bring out the best flavor in the cookies.
- Do not over beat the cookie dough. Think gentle thoughts.
- Roll the dough into balls, coat in extra sugar, and press flat with the bottom of a drinking glass. This creates a crispy glistening exterior and a uniform shape.
- Do not over-bake. The moment the edges look remotely golden, take the cookies out of the oven and cool.
That’s pretty much it!
Please note, The Best Sugar Cookie Recipe is NOT a roll-out cookie recipe for cookie cutters. It’s just too darn delicate for that. If you’re looking for a roll-and-cut cookie recipe, use this one. The extra egg yolk and flour make the cookies slightly sturdier, so they can handle the abuse.
However, these sugar cookies are marvelous with glaze and sprinkles. Try them with this grown-up bourbon glaze!
The Best Sugar Cookie Recipe
Yield: 45 cookies
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:10 minutes
Hands down, The Best Sugar Cookie Recipe, we’ve ever tested! Learn How to Make Sugar Cookies that everyone will love.
- 3 cups all purpose flour, measured then sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, softened (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar + extra for rolling
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper. Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Place the softened butter and sugar in the bowl of your electric mixer. Cream the butter and sugar together on high until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes. (Don’t skimp on the time here.) Then turn the mixer on low and add the eggs and vanilla extract. Scrape the bowl.
- With the mixer running on low, slowly add the flour mixture. Scrape the bowl and beat again for 30 seconds.
- Pour some extra sugar into a bowl to coat the cookies. Scoop the dough out and roll into 1 inch balls. The dough should be soft and delicate – Don’t over-handle. Shake each ball in the sugar bowl to coat, then place on the cookie sheets 2 inches apart. Use the bottom of a drinking glass to press down on each ball, until it’s 1/3 – 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake each sheet of sugar cookies for 9-11 minutes, until the edges are slightly golden and the centers are just barely set. Cool completely on the cookie sheets.
BOURBON GLAZE: Once the cookies are cool, whisk 1 tablespoon of cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1 teaspoon bourbon together. Then whisk in 1 cup powdered sugar until smooth. Dip the face of each cookie into the glaze. Allow the excess to dip off, then place them back on the parchment paper to dry.
Yield: 45 cookies, Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 113 Calories
- Total Fat: 6.4g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 24mg
- Sodium: 90mg
- Carbohydrates: 13.2g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Sugar: 6.8g
- Protein: 1.2g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!